prefdave
soumya_a_thomas

There is a need for old age homes in this generation

soumya_a_thomas

prefdave

Con

In this time and age, where money is the main aim for many people, parents who spend all their money and time to raise a child, are finally rejected by the very same child, and are dumped of at a pleasant looking 'Old Age Home' for the 'good' of their parents. Now for people looking at these homes from the outside, they look like heaven on earth, with anything you can ask for. But the parents who are sent there endure a feeling of pain that cannot be described- the pain of rejection. Why do we have to reject the parents who accepted us as their child? Our mothers brought us into this world, dont we have to see that we take care of them till they leave it? Therefore, I say that there is no need for old age homes in this generation.
soumya_a_thomas

Pro

The very concept of an old age home is new to India. An old age home is usually the place, a home for those old people who have no one to look after them or those who have been thrown out of their homes by their own children. The place is of course like home where the inmates get all the facilities for a routine living like food, clothing, and shelter.
Nowadays children do not get much attention from their parents. Children are sent to hostel to manage themselves. So they are not much attached to parents.

Being in a nuclear family, the new generation today does not get enough attention, affection, care and concern from their parents. Deprived of these, they become more selfish, stubborn, less concerned and careless. In olden days, children used to spend a lot of time with their family. They used to depend on our parents and elders for suggestions and advises. They used to sit down with them and talk about our different views and discuss each other and settle the issues. With the introduction of nuclear family, communication gap between the inmates of a family arised. There are so many reasons for this attitude such as generation gap, influence of advanced technology, peer pressure and so on. Presently, new generation can collect the information about anything from internet with the clicks of buttons. Different views related to an issue or a topic including it"s pros and cons from different people, enable better analysis of these issues from different angles. Moreover, social network systems such as Facebook, twitter and so on, provide an excellent medium for imparting and sharing information between people.
Because of the breakup of the system of the joint family and the introduction of a nuclear family the old age homes have had to come up to cater to the needs of the elderly

People are working far away from their homes in these days.They have no other choice. Their life is in some other country. Their parents do not adjust to alien culture and do not wish to leave the shores of their homeland. They cannot be left to fend for themselves, why should they work when everything can be provided for them? There is a grain of truth in this, but still the elders feel lonely and yearn for their children"s company.
One cannot blame the children also for they have their life to live and it would be unrealistic of parents to emotionally blackmail them to come back to live with them and look after them. It must be admitted that there are cases when children do come home to look after the children at considerable sacrifice to their profession.
prefdave

Con

I'm going to pretend that I dont know you...

"Nowadays children do not get much attention from their parents. Children are sent to hostel to manage themselves. So they are not much attached to parents.

Being in a nuclear family, the new generation today does not get enough attention, affection, care and concern from their parents. Deprived of these, they become more selfish, stubborn, less concerned and careless. In olden days, children used to spend a lot of time with their family."
I'm guessing that you are of this generation and that you have parents who love you. I mean, I do, and I'm almost one hundred percent sure that thats the case for you too. In the above lines, if I have not missinterpreted what you met, you intend to say that parents do not pay attention to the child, and so that is the cause of the bitterness in that child. However you also said
"Presently, new generation can collect the information about anything from internet with the clicks of buttons. Different views related to an issue or a topic including it"s pros and cons from different people, enable better analysis of these issues from different angles. Moreover, social network systems such as Facebook, twitter and so on, provide an excellent medium for imparting and sharing information between people."
which is moving away from the topic entirely.

Some children force their parents to write the family property in their name, then sell that property and dump their aging parents at an old age centre. What do you have to say about that?
soumya_a_thomas

Pro

soumya_a_thomas forfeited this round.
prefdave

Con

prefdave forfeited this round.
soumya_a_thomas

Pro

First of all, this is nothing personal and is not about me.

"In this time and age, where money is the main aim for many people".
This is not always true. Money is a basic necessity for all people.

"In the above lines, if I have not missinterpreted what you met, you intend to say that parents do not pay attention to the child, and so that is the cause of the bitterness in that child."
Nowadays parents are running after money. In their attempts to make money they fail to understand the needs of children. Parents need to develop a mental connection with their children. There is no use lamenting later.

"which is moving away from the topic entirely"
I am giving some reasons for relationship gap between parents and children.

"Some children force their parents to write the family property in their name, then sell that property and dump their aging parents at an old age centre. What do you have to say about that?"
There are rules now by which the parents can retrieve their property if they feel that children are not looking after them. I guess that is a solution.

But the topic is "There is a need for old age homes in this generation"
Of course there is.
What will the people having no children do? What if parents feel lonely because their children are far away for their studies or jobs?
Old age homes are a necessity in today's society.
In old age homes the residents can interact with people of their age which usually keeps them happy. They have daily exercises and medical tests. There are many recreational activities that will keep them occupied.
So altogether old age homes are necessary in our society.
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
Copied down the whole thing.
Posted by soumya_a_thomas 2 years ago
soumya_a_thomas
Hey......
Believe me..
i had a sixth sense about this
I guess you have seen the debate i've done about cinema
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
Why did you think I said I'm going to pretend I dont know you?!
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
Does the name David ring a bell??
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
WHAT!!!! I'm YOUR DEBATE PARTNER IN SCHOOL!!! ; )
Posted by soumya_a_thomas 2 years ago
soumya_a_thomas
Hey.....
What's ur name?
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
I cant find reasons as to why students need co curricular activities, so it would be great if you brought that as well.
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
Hey soumya, could you bring this topic tommorrow:) Thanks. I forgot to post my argument coz Im doing another debate right now.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
There we go!
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
Oops!!!Thanks;)
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
prefdavesoumya_a_thomasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argued for the necessity of old age homes because of child hostility. Con mostly complained about said hostility without offering an alternative.
Vote Placed by t-man 2 years ago
t-man
prefdavesoumya_a_thomasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both Pro and Con forfeited a round which cancels out. In the Pro made more of an argument.
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
prefdavesoumya_a_thomasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both forfeited and had no sources. It came down to the rebuttal and I found that PRO had a stronger one. Sorry, Dave, but my points to pro