prefdave
Atheist-Independent

There is a need for old age homes in this generation

Atheist-Independent

prefdave

Con

In this time and age, where money is the main aim for many people, parents who spend all their money and time to raise a child, are finally rejected by the very same child, and are dumped of at a pleasant looking 'Old Age Home' for the 'good' of their parents. Now for people looking at these homes from the outside, they look like heaven on earth, with anything you can ask for. But the parents who are sent there endure a feeling of pain that cannot be described- the pain of rejection. Why do we have to reject the parents who accepted us as their child? Our mothers brought us into this world, dont we have to see that we take care of them till they leave it? Therefore, I say that there is no need for old age homes in this generation.
Atheist-Independent

Pro

Since I only have ten minutes I will keep this short.

I have mixed feelings about retirement homes, however I will argue for the pro side of the statement that retirement homes still have a use in society.

For one I feel that a retirement home is a good place to provide support and structure in to elderly peoples lives. Also, it helps the children of the elderly people in question feel both liberated (as terrible as that sounds) and relieved that they know that their parent(s) is/are safe.

Another point is that elderly people can be a threat to society. One study shows that in people over 80 years of age over 800,000 deaths occur annually (in the US) due to fires that they accidentally created. If these people had lived in a structured and secure environment, these deaths would have never happened [1].

Obviously there is the argument that it is morally wrong to lock away your parents in a retirement home for the rest of their lives, however the pros clearly outweigh the cons in this situation.

[1] http://www.usfa.fema.gov...
prefdave

Con

prefdave forfeited this round.
Atheist-Independent

Pro

Since my opponenet has forfeited, I am not exactly sure what to do, so I will continue my argument.

Over 2/3 of people over the age of 80 live in communities independently. Due to the fact that almost 50% of fires are created by people over the ages of 70, this means that their is an increased threat for disaster in the community in which they live (similiar to my round 1 argument, but still a point none the less) [1].

Also, many elderly people find their lives boring due to the fact that they have nobody their own age to talk with. A retirement home provides such a situation in which elderly people can have social lives again, even though it is under somewhat strange situation [2].

I would also like to quell all the rumors about how retirment homes are evil and treat the elderly people terribly. A large portion of people (including my own grandmother) would prefer to live in a retirement home than their current arrangments.

[1] http://www.usfa.fema.gov...
[2] http://www.elmwoodvfrd.org...
prefdave

Con

prefdave forfeited this round.
Atheist-Independent

Pro

Clearly my opponent wasn't actually intending upon debating, which I find somewhat disrespectful.

Conclusion: Retirement Homes are a safer and overall superior option for elderly people due to the fact that they provide structured, secure, and a social environment.
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
I thank Pro for posting his arguments
You said
Also, many elderly people find their lives boring due to the fact that they have nobody their own age to talk with
Imagine the parents of a toddler putting him in an orphanage saying that he will have kids his age to play with. Its pretty much the same with old age homes
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
Technically, the first round is your views on the subject while the second round will be same, and the final round will be rebuttals and counters.
Posted by Atheist-Independent 2 years ago
Atheist-Independent
I'm interested, but what is the structure of the debate?
Posted by prefdave 2 years ago
prefdave
You need'nt bother. I just need some material for an upcoming debate competition.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
HMMM i might of debated this but I am busy.....
Good Luck!
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
prefdaveAtheist-IndependentTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by t-man 2 years ago
t-man
prefdaveAtheist-IndependentTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
prefdaveAtheist-IndependentTied