Controverter
MilesandMilesofMiles

There is a valid meaning of life in absence of religion and any form of God/s.

Controverter

Con

I want to warn you that I am the Con to this.

This means that you must definitely be the Pro.

Please don't be silly to need definitions and all of that, it is all just a Google search away.

If you argue something like "reproduce" then you must explain how infertile creatures and hybrids, such as ligers, have a meaning to their life.

Please also only accept this if you have more than one meaning at the ready or this will end very soon.
MilesandMilesofMiles

Pro

I am going to equate and refer to meaning of life to purpose in life to be specific. As there is no inherent meaning in life, one's purpose in life is defined by the individual. The ultimate purpose in life is to survive, that is the single purpose we observe in nature both on the individual and ecological scale. But we as humans who have mastered the skill of survival to it's extreme move on to greater and more indulgent purposes. These purposes are also inherent traits like the exercising of our intellect or our free will, or the cultivation of meaningful relationships. There is no one specific meaning or purpose, it's really your own free will that dictates this.

People can complicate this as much as they want by insisting that we are fated by a greater force or live within a set of parameters dictated by an omnipotent deity, but we have had no reason other than that of religious indoctrination to accept this thus far. Believing that the inherent meaning of life is any one single thing is naive. Believing that such an answer can be found through belief in a god is actually limiting one's free will and innate capacity to formulate their own meaning of life separate from that outside deviations.
Controverter

Con

You are cheating. I asked for a universal one.
MilesandMilesofMiles

Pro

Oh well there is none, thinking there is one is quite childish and oversimplifying of life
Controverter

Con

My opponent has been intelligent and has lost this with dignity.
MilesandMilesofMiles

Pro

So you admit to playing devils advocate and have nothing more to say on the matter?
Controverter

Con

My opponent has forfeited this debate.
MilesandMilesofMiles

Pro

My opponent is a two headed lizard with cotton candy for a genitalia who doesn't know his right from his left!
MilesandMilesofMiles

Pro

Thank you and good night
Posted by Jess.Lynn 4 years ago
Jess.Lynn
Well, that escalated quickly. (2 headed lizard, really?)
This debate sort of ended up just being childish, but I still agree with pro. It is different with everyone and can change over time. If you asked me two months ago, I would agree with BrooklynHaze, but now I just wish to be happy in whatever I do. Saying that is selfish is a bit rude. If what makes you happy is contributing to humanity, then great, do it. But I would like to point out that they said "At least trying to be". When I was little (2nd gradish?) my dad asked me what the meaning of life is, and I said to be happy. He asked me who told me that and I told him that it is just what I know. That is how I feel now. The past few months of my life have not been great, and if my whole life is like that, I would not wish to live, no matter what I contribute. I don't want to do anything negative to society, but maybe I will just own a donut shop.
Posted by BrooklynHaze 4 years ago
BrooklynHaze
The meaning of life is to contribute something to humanity the best way you can figure out before you die, and accomplish that while being happy or at least trying to be. Anything else is selfish (sometimes not on purpose) or suicide is not allowed.