There is evidence for the God of Christianity

BoP on Pro.

God of Christinaity- the deity described by the Christian Bible; the metaphysical being which Christians worhsip.

Post your argument in the first round.

There is plenty of evidence for Yahweh's existence.

I'm going to assume that you're an atheist and therefore deny the existence of ANY God. I will first prove to you that there is a god, and then make my case for YAHWEH.

Proof for God:
1. There has to be a cause. Atheists always answer this question with something along the lines of, "of course there was a cause! The Big Bang caused everything to come into existence." But something just doesn't fit here. How did the Big Bang come about, if there was nothing before it? How can something come out of nothing? Let's say that the Big Bang caused the creation of the universe. But what caused the Big Bang? Where did the first particle in all of existence come from? Because things that are finite must have a cause, the creator of all things needs to be infinite, thus making my case for the existence of an intelligent designer.

2. Remember...mass cannot be created or destroyed. That's a fundamental law. Only someone omnipotent can circumvent this law.

3. The universe, especially Earth is designed perfectly. TOO perfectly for it to be random. If the Earth was smaller, it would be like Mercury and have no atmosphere. If it was larger, it would be like Jupiter and have free hydrogen in the air. The Earth's size is the perfect size to support life. We are also a perfect distance from a sun. Any further, and we'd freeze. Any closer, and we'd all burn up. Again, the circumstances of Earth's positioning and size are just too perfect for probability to be considered.

4. The brain that your using to come up with arguments against the existence of God is amazingly complex. How can we say that an organ that processes a million messages per second is the result of chance? Every body part has a specific design that is suited just for the human body. Chimpanzee fur isn't useful to lizards, just like scales would hamper humans, unlike fish and other reptiles. I shouldn't have to explain to you how DNA is amazingly complex, right? There are now 8.74 million known species on Earth- each living in a habitat that perfectly suits them. Are you going to seriously look at that statistic and say, "Yep. That's just chance"?

5. Where are your morals coming from? If there is no god upon which to base standards of right and wrong, who are you to say to another person, "murder is wrong"?

Proof of Christian God
1. Look at Buddha, Muhammad, Confucius, Moses, and Jesus. All of them, the leaders of their respective religions. What sets Jesus apart? He claimed to be God. And he provided the people with proof. He healed the sick, made the blind see, reattached an ear, turned water into wine, made the lame walk, rose people from the dead, walked on water, commanded a storm to stop, and fed a crowd of five thousand with five loaves of bread and two fish!! This is why over 2 billion people in the world put their faith in him today.

2. Hinduism teaches that our individual identities are part of a large, divine illusion called Maya. In essence, we don't really exist. That doesn't make sense, does it? How could the Hindus know that they are part of a dream? How do you prove this? With this, Hinduism must bow out of the contest.

3. Let's compare Jesus to Mohammed. Jesus' birth was foretold in more than 300 prophesies, of which he fulfilled EVERY SINGLE ONE. Mohammed had no such prophesy. Jesus was born from a virgin. Muhammed had a simple father and mother. Jesus had no sins (2 Corinthians 5:21) , whereas Mohammed occasionally had to ask for forgiveness (sura 40:55, 41:19). And remember, Muhammed is dead. We know where is tomb is in Medina. Jesus was resurrected from the grave and ascended into the sky to live take his seat at the right hand of the Father.

4. The Buddha was much like Mohammed. He had his faults, had natural parents, and died. At its root, Buddhism is really agnosticism as it discourages the belief in a God and doesn't give us the meaning of our existence.
5. There are also several smaller religions such as Shintoism, Taoism, and Animisim. Like Hinduism, these are all pantheistic. Many of them involve ancestral rites and the occult.

6. There is also non-Biblical evidence of Jesus' existence. Many writers of the first century AD, many of them non-Jews, confirmed that there was once a miracle working Jesus.Flavius Josephus wrote, "At this time there was a wise man who was called Jesus. And his conduct was good, and [he] was known to be virtuous. And many people from among the Jews and other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. And those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion and that he was alive; accordingly, he was perhaps the messiah concerning whom the prophets have recounted wonders." Antiquities of the Jews, XVIII.iii.3

7. At this point, you may say, "how do we know Jesus rose from the dead?" My answer is, why would the disciples lie? There was no financial gain; there was no social prestige; there was no political power to come as a result of their preaching the resurrection. The only prospect that they had insofar as human rewards were concerned was the prospect of peril and persecution, of imprisonment and death. Yet all these apostles went out and preached that Christ had been raised from the dead. And they all, save one, paid for this testimony with their lives. No one suffers peril, persecution, and a cruel death for what he knows to be a lie.

8. The Bible has 66 books, written by around 40 different men over 4,000 years. The men came from all different walks of life. It even contains three languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic)

I've run out of time and space, so this is as far as I will go.

I would like to thank my opponent for his interesting response. I will now respond to his arguments.

Rebuttals for "Proof for God"

1. The Big Bang theory had a cause. No one doubts that. However, there is no reason to believe that this cause is god.
Pro's logic goes like this:
Everything has a cause
Therefore, the Big Bang must have a cause
The cause of the Big Bang MUST be a magic, supernatural being.

The hole in this train of though is clear. There is nothing to suggest that the cause of the Big Bang is some magical creature. A more likely explanation is that the cause of the Big Bang was something natural, just like everything else in this universe, and not something supernatural.

2. Ok, so the Laws of Physics clearly prove that God is impossible. Everything in this universe operates by the laws of physics. It is impossible to not. Pro has clearly shown here that God is impossible, and doesn't fit in with our scientific understanding of our universe.

3. Pro asserts that because the earth is so perfect for life, the earth must have been created for life. However, modern science tells us that the life formed to live on the earth, not the other way around. Life evolved to fit in the parameters of the earth. If the earth was slightly different, life would have evolved slightly differently. Life lives perfectly on earth, because it evolved to do so.

4. Pro asserts that the brain could not evolve because it is no complex. Just because we don't know how the brain evolved, doesn't mean that it can't. Creationists used to use this same argument, except for with eyes instead of brains. Now we have a good idea of all the steps in eye evolution, and we have found examples of eyes at various stages all over the animal kingdom. In a few years the scientific community will have a better idea of the evolution of the brain. Just because Pro thinks that the brain is too complex to evolve, doesn't mean that its true. The scientific community overwhelmingly (95%-98%) supports evolution, so just because Pro personally thinks it's impossible, doesn't mean that it is.

5. Morals evolved, and their evolution is fairly simple. Humans with the best morals were more likely to perform actions beneficial to the group, and be able to breed and pass their genes on. Humans with bad morals would do things that harm the group, be kicked out of the group and not reproduce. Simple as that.
Polytheistic societies such as the Hellenistic societies had extremely sophisticated morals, but followed these morals naturally, not because they believed that God told them too. Additionally, people who believe in Jainism, which is one of the oldest belief systems, don't believe in any god but have rigidly defined morals. Finally, atheists are definitely not less moral then the religious, showing that morals don't come from religion. Poorer and less stable societies are overwhelmingly poorer than less religious societies, and the reverse is true. The richest and most peaceful societies, such as the Nordic countries, are also the least religious. Additionally, the religious make up more than 99% of prisoners, which leads us to conclude that the religious are more likely do do immoral actions, not the other way around.

Rebuttals for "Proof of the Christian God"

Even though I already disproved Pros arguments for the existence of any god, I will also disprove the existence of a Christian god.

1. Jesus claimed to be god. So what? A homeless guy might also claim to be god, but that doesn't mean that he is. As for miracles- Mormons claim that Joseph Smith worked miracles, and cite witnesses and proof. That doesn't mean that Mormonism is correct.

2. The Hindu concept of Maya simply states that the universe now is not an accurate representation of how the universe is throughout time. It simply stresses that reality is temporary, and not that things physically don't exist. Additionally, Pro dismisses this belief as there is no proof for it, presumably compared to Christianity. However, this vary debate is about whether Christianity has any proof. Pro can't use the lack of proof of other religions compared to Christianity as proof of Christianity, because he hasn't yet established that Christianity has proof. Finally, Christianity has plenty of things that rely on blind faith and no proof. Pros claims could easily altered to read "How could the Christians know that the stories of Noah, Adam, or Moses are real? How do you prove this? With this, Christianity must bow out of the contest."

3,4. Pro can't just assert that Jesus fulfilled 300 prophesies without any examples of evidence at all.
Pro then claims that because the bible says that Jesus is divine, he is better and more legitimate then Buddha or Muhammad. Basically, Pro is using evidence from the bible to prove Christianity. You can't use Christianity to prove Christianity.

5. So? Please explain how this proves Christianity.

6. No one is doubting jesus's existence. For rebuttals to the miracles claim, so refutation 1.

7. Most biblical scholars and historians believe that the writers of the Gospels were not actually present at the time of Jesus, and actually wrote the gospels about 40-60 years after the fact, so their writing can't be interpreted as entirely accurate.

8. So? Please explain how this proves Christianity.

mwesigwa1 forfeited this round.

mwesigwa1 forfeited this round.

It seems that there isn't any evidence for the God...

I'm sorry I haven't posted. I have six AP exams that I'm studying for.
1. Con attempts to refute my logic by claiming that "a more likely explanation is that the cause of the Big Bang was something natural..." Well, what caused that cause? You and the other atheists will keep going backwards, saying, "Well, the cause of that cause of that cause was caused by something natural, and so on," but there has to be a FIRST cause. The cause of all causes. Finite things cannot simply come into existence out of thin air. Something greater and more powerful than them has to come first. Something eternal; God.

2. God is not defined by natural laws. Why? He created them. We humans aren't supposed and aren't capable of understanding EVERYTHING there is to know about this universe; you can't define the supernatural using natural concepts. So yes, by our frail human minds, God does seem impossible because we can't comprehend something outside the realm of the tangible and finite.

3. Life WAS formed to live on Earth. We agree there. I must have misspoken. God created earth on the 3rd day of creation, and created life on the fifth.

4. I never, EVER said that the brain could not evolve. You are putting words in my mouth, and I don't appreciate that. And you are basing your opinion on what the scientific community says? The scientific community that, every couple of years, announces to the public, "we've been wrong about (blank) this whole time. THIS is how it actually works..." I'd rather put my faith in an all-knowing God that isn't constantly shifting his positions and theories.

5. Riddle me this: If humans with bad morals are kicked out, why is crime so rampant today? How can you say that people with bad morals have been eliminated through evolution, if there are people like ISIS who are growing by the hundreds every day? And I'm glad you brought up the polytheistic societies. Where are they today? What happened to the ancient Greeks and their gods? The Sumerians, and the Mayans? The number of people who still believe in these "deities" is so minuscule that we can take it for granted as nil. And are you really going to insinuate that richness is a result of a lack of religion? You and your atheists can take your riches. Jesus said himself that our greatest treasure is in heaven, not on earth. (Matthew 6:19-21) And you didn't seem to read the whole article on religion in prisons, did you? It says, "Prisoners are also known to claim religious beliefs because of special benefits inside of prison. A prisoner could claim to be Islamic in order to receive halal foods or claim to be Jewish for kosher meals. You can also use religion as an excuse to opt-out of medical procedures such as a tuberculosis test. While the percentage of these false religious claims is unknown, it is worth noting that they exist and can skew numbers in different directions." There are a lot of people who claim to be Christian who actually aren't. I'm glad you specifically mentioned the Nordic countries. Norway's values are based on its Christian heritage. Interesting, isn't it?

Proof of Christian God

1. Jesus claimed to be God AND worked miracles. There's a difference. I, by the authority of the Holy Spirit, am given the power to work miracles myself. Jesus handed that power to all his disciples when they were baptized by the Holy Spirit (Acts 2). If someone like you claimed to be God, wouldn't it be easier for people to believe you if you gave them proof? Hundreds of people throughout history claimed to be the Messiah, but none of them were able to fulfill all of the hundreds of prophesies that Jesus was able to fulfill. Joseph Smith never claimed to be God at all. And second of all, Mormons are not Christians. President Hinckley once said in a speech that the 'Christ' of the mormons was not the "traditional Christ".

2.First of all, there is scientific evidence that Noah and Moses exist. Adam is simply the first human, so that's a check mark for that as well. However, neither Hinduism or ANY religion has had its founder physically rise from the dead. Hinduism is also historically ambiguous, which casts a shadow of doubt upon its credibility. And resurrection and reincarnation are not the same. Resurrection involves one death, one life, one mortal body, and one new and immortally glorified body. Resurrection happens by divine intervention, is monotheistic, is a deliverance from sin, and ultimately occurs only in the end times. Reincarnation, on the contrary, involves multiple deaths, multiple lives, multiple mortal bodies, and no immortal body.

Read more:

3,4. I couldn't copy and paste all the prophecies because there was no space. But here are several that Jesus fulfilled:
a. He was a descendant of Abraham (Genesis 22:18)
b. He was born in Bethlehem of Judea (Micah 5:2)
c. He performed miracles (Isaiah 35: 5-6)
d. He was sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:20)
Here are the rest:

5. I didn't have room to finish explaining the occult. The occult involves realms of magic, witches, warlocks, and wizards, things that have been shown time and time again to be utterly false and in fact harmful.
7. Don't we take memoirs as factually accurate, even though some of the stories in the memoirs may have taken place 40-60 years prior? Of course people remember things differently, that's why there are four different accounts. I think we agree on this one.
8. My point was that God didn't just reveal himself to one man (ex. Buddha) He made sure to reveal himself to people from all different walks of life, something that makes him seem less distant than the other Gods.

Thank you for debating this topic with me. Again, I apologize for not responding.
Posted by Geogeer 1 year ago
Geez Louise, I knew I should have taken this debate...
Posted by kman100 1 year ago

There's no consensus, but the majority of historians accept Jesus as a historical figure.

Either way, that point doesn't support Pro's case.
Posted by Biodome 1 year ago
Just commenting on one point made by Con:

"6. No one is doubting jesus's existence"

Well, what about this?
There is certainly a split of opinions among many historians and academics.
Posted by Geogeer 1 year ago
I knew I should have accepted it...
Posted by kman100 1 year ago
Lol. I'm busy at the moment so I don't want to pick up another debate, but I might be willing to do this one with you in a few days.
Posted by FuzzyCatPotato 1 year ago
I wanted to acceeeptttt
Posted by kman100 1 year ago
No, but good point. I will alter the definition a tad
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
If we pretend the bible doesn't exist. Is there evidence for the christian god?
Posted by Geogeer 1 year ago
Tempting... If its still open in a couple of days maybe.
Vote Placed by Nicoszon_the_Great 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were utterly farcical, though what truly lost him was his absence.
Vote Placed by Chaosism 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Two forfeited rounds by Pro.