ChrisF
ConservativePolitico

There is no good constitutional reason for the US to ban same-sex marriage.

ChrisF

Pro

Pro will be arguing that there is no good reason to ban same-sex marriage that doesn't go against the US constitution, Con will be arguing the opposite. Rules are as follows:

1) Round 1 for acceptance only.
2) Rounds 2, 3, and 4 are for arguments.
3) Round 5 is for closing statements.

Good luck to my opponent.
ConservativePolitico

Con

I will be debating that there is a constitutional basis for banning same-sex marriage within the United States.
ChrisF

Pro

Seeing as I myself cannot think of many other reasons, I'm going to start with the main reason same-sex marriage is banned: religion. According to members of certain religions, homosexuality is supposed to be a sin. On this basis, they believe it should be illegal.

However, one of the great things about America is that we are free to follow our own religion, and, even better, Congress is not allowed to make laws based on religious teachings. This is laid out clearly in the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, which reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The use of this amendment has also led to the banning of required prayer in public schools, among other things. Since a ban on same-sex marriage would most likely be based on religion, it is by it's nature unconstitutional. In fact, it violates more than one amendment. The fourteenth amendment, one of the three "Civil War amendments," would also be violated by a ban on same-sex marriage. The beginning of this amendment reads "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Obviously, forbidding homosexuals from having the same rights as heterosexuals abridges their priveleges and immunities, which clearly, is forbidden by this amendment.

Seeing as a religion based ban is the only reason I can think of, I will let my opponent give their reasons before I continue.
ConservativePolitico

Con

ConservativePolitico forfeited this round.
ChrisF

Pro

ChrisF forfeited this round.
ConservativePolitico

Con

ChrisF

Pro

ChrisF forfeited this round.
ConservativePolitico

Con

ChrisF

Pro

ChrisF forfeited this round.
ConservativePolitico

Con

9th and 10th Amendments to the US Constitution.

It is the people's and the states' right to ban same sex marriage if they so choose under the powers granted to them by these amendments. Since they have this power due to these amendments that is a good constitutional reason for doing so.

Fin.
Posted by ChrisF 3 years ago
ChrisF
Good as in reasonable, for example, somebody taking a bite of your bagel is not a good reason to punch them in the face.
Posted by ZebramZee 3 years ago
ZebramZee
There is no good constitutional reason to ban same-sex marriage and there is no good constitutional reason to endorse it either. the government has no business being involved with any kind of marriage at all, whether heterosexual or homosexual or whatever.
Posted by Technition 3 years ago
Technition
Define good?
Posted by edibleshrapnel 3 years ago
edibleshrapnel
As they say in the Budweiser commercials, true, true.