loveu157
Gingerbreadman

There is no meaning of life

loveu157

Pro

the last opponent forfeited and you so politely offered to continue.

I will be debating that there is no meaning of life.

My opponent should be someone that thinks there is one set meaning of life.

Please use the first round for your argument.
Gingerbreadman

Con

Thank you to my opponent who agreed to let me debate with him/her (i apologize for not knowing)

So I would like to begin saying that I believe life does have meaning, that life in itself has a meaning and i shall go into deeper depth into that meaning into the 2nd round.

An idea i was thinking about recently is how diverse and random life really is. Think of life as the frame of a house. This is not even a house but the wooden planks and concrete foundation.

And the things you use to build it, the bricks, pipes, wires, drywall, paint, and furniture is all you fill your house with. These could be people, art, music, dreams, inspirations, books, anything. Doing so you give that life meaning. And in the same way you give that nearly useless foundation a purpose, you make it useful and give it purpose
loveu157

Pro

great point.

I still believe that there is no meaning of life. You can't make your meaning by different decisions. You also said that there are random moments. well isn't the outcome of all situations random. There is no sure way for someone to predict what the outcome of a situation is. You can't tell what someone will say if you ask them anything.

To sum my argument up: all happenings in someones life are random so there is no meaning of life.
Gingerbreadman

Con

Im going to go all happy and sunshine-y for a second

Youre right, there is no meaning to life with that attitude.

There, got that over with. But it is the truth, life has a meaning. You just have to find it.

Now, you could go scientific on the argument and say the meaning to life is reproduction, to spread your genes and find a mate if not multiple. But id rather not go with that because that seems barbaric and mostly a crude assessment.

But, i find that it is true that life's meaning is dictated by what you see fit.

An example:
I was severely depressed before, i found absolutely no joy in anything and found no meaning in life. But, after i got help, after I searched for something to put my life into. I found that life had meaning. I found meaning in education. I found a meaning in what i want my future career might be. I found meaning in my current relationship.

To sum up, life and the meaning of it is what you make of it. Life has no set definition on what it's meaning is. It's different for everyone.
loveu157

Pro

loveu157 forfeited this round.
Gingerbreadman

Con

If my opponent has forfeit i would like to know, but if not I'm waiting for him to disprove my point
loveu157

Pro

sorry I had a computer problem.

Even though you found meaning in education and decide to continue it, all events from that are random. (I must be fun at partys). What if a man said to never come back to school again and pointed a gun to your face. You would no longer find meaning in education.

This is the same with anything. Fear can overpower most emotions. Although i do like the idea of making your own, I still see the world as the randomist place in the universe. You therefore have no idea of whats coming.
Gingerbreadman

Con

Just because something in your life loses meaning and proves to longer serve a purpose in your life, that doesnt mean your life is meaningless.

Let me tell you what I think life's meaning is exactly.

Life's meaning is to find a meaning for life.

Finding a meaning for life is why we strive to get the best we can out of life. True, life can be a cruel, unforgiving, hateful, bitch. But that does not prove that life has no meaning.

The contemplation of one, true meaning to life is inaccurate, there is no one true meaning.

Rather it's different for everyone.
Posted by Gingerbreadman 3 years ago
Gingerbreadman
For the fulfillment of living your life, to do what you want with the random happenings in your life.
Posted by loveu157 3 years ago
loveu157
there are chances i could die any moment randomly maybe because i get hit by a car. But the chances of that happening are slim.
Posted by BrooklynHaze 3 years ago
BrooklynHaze
If everything is random what's your reason for staying alive?
Posted by loveu157 3 years ago
loveu157
and I'm a guy