wordsmith
studentathletechristian8

There is no present

wordsmith

Pro

There is no present, only the recent past and the immediate future.
Present, in this debate is not defined exclusively as the moment in which an event occurs, but it (present) is refereed as the act of declaring that an (event) as occurred. Consider two individuals IA and IB
IA: Hello what time is it IB
IB: The time right now is 2 pm
IB is referring to a period of time which has already occurred, he is referring to the present.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate and the audience for another opportunity.

I shall negate the resolution, "There is no present." Hence, I shall attempt to prove that there is a present.

===============

Burden of Proof: My opponent holds the Burden of Proof to affirm that there is no present. If I am able to prove otherwise, the resolution shall be negated.

===============

My opponent quotes:

"IA: Hello what time is it IB
IB: The time right now is 2 pm
IB is referring to a period of time which has already occurred, he is referring to the present."

My opponent has just provided an instance in which the present did exist. Therefore, my position is supported by this claim. As my opponent has already provided a situation where the present does exist, he contradicts himself and his position in the debate. Resolution negated.

My opponent quotes:

"Present, in this debate is not defined exclusively as the moment in which an event occurs, but it (present) is refereed as the act of declaring that an (event) as occurred."
My opponent states that the present is the act of declaring that an event has occurred. If I were to say, "That guy just got hit by a ball," I would be proclaiming an event that has occurred. Thus, that would qualify as being the present, once again negating the resolution.

================

Conclusion: I have successfully created contentions and negated the resolution. Thank you.
wordsmith

Pro

Thank you con.
First of all I do not have the burden of proof , we are discussing the exsistence of something, nothing exsists until proven otherwise.
Regardless I have not claimed that there is no present, con has clearly misread important details in my argument, allow me to restate: "Present, in this debate is not defined exclusively as the moment in which an event occurs, but it (present) is refereed as the act of declaring that an (event) as occurred.". My argument was presenting that you cannot claim that any moment is the present, it offcourse exsit(s)(ed). I fear my opponent has got himself into a debate unkowningly and permit him to reregister his argument to adress the argument as it was stated.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for his response and the readers for another opportunity.

My opponent quotes:

"Regardless I have not claimed that there is no present."
As my opponent has taken Pro to the resolution , "There is no present," he must make a claim that there is no present. However, my opponent states he has not yet claimed that there is no present, which means he has failed to provide any argumentation to support his side.

"con has clearly misread important details in my argument."
No, I have not. My opponent has not read any of my arguments because he has failed to post rebuttals.

"(present) is refereed as the act of declaring that an (event) as occurred."
My opponent has presented this definition as present. As in my example in round I, I can say that my mom just fell on the floor, which qualifies as being present because I declared an event as occurred.

"My argument was presenting that you cannot claim that any moment is the present, it offcourse exsit(s)(ed)."
However, I showed my opponent's argument to promote my claim. Hence, my opponent has not made a rebuttal or argumentation as to why my view would be incorrect.

================

Conclusion: My opponent did not attack any of my points and only stated that I have misread his arguments. However, he has not posted any rebuttals to my claims and really did not make an argument in his round II. The resolution is negated.
wordsmith

Pro

Thank you con, the reason I had not posted any new arguments is because you have not adressed any of my initial arguments. Perhaps this is because of poor comunication on my side so allow me to clarify. In this debate the pro (me) is not saying that there is no such concept as the present. I am not making the claim that there "is no present". I am instead saying that the present exsists but it is not possiable to mark your postion in time, as the present. Remember my example:
"IA: Hello what time is it IB
IB: The time right now is 2 pm
IB is referring to a period of time which has already occurred, he is referring to the present"
when IB had said that the time "right now is 2pm" he was actualy referring to the time it was when he checked his watch. Similarily it is not possiable to think of your current moment "now" as the present because the meer act of thinking so or realising it in any way would require that you move forward into a differn't time than the one you are discribing. Hope I made my statement clear, thank you for this debate it was fun!
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate and the readers for another opportunity.

My opponent quotes:

"Thank you con, the reason I had not posted any new arguments is because you have not adressed any of my initial arguments."
Actually, I addressed all of my opponent's initial arguments in the first round. However, my opponent ignored my contentions and did not even attempt to counter them.

"In this debate the pro (me) is not saying that there is no such concept as the present. I am not making the claim that there "is no present"."
The resolution of this debate is, "There is no present." My opponent has taken the affirmative side, so he must affirm this statement. However, my opponent has just admitted that he is not claiming that there "is no present." That contradicts his stance on the matter and shows that he has essentially forfeited his initial claim in the context of his own resolution. Resolution negated.

"I am instead saying that the present exsists but it is not possiable to mark your postion in time, as the present."
How so? My opponent has yet provided evidence to support this claim.

"when IB had said that the time "right now is 2pm" he was actualy referring to the time it was when he checked his watch. Similarily it is not possiable to think of your current moment "now" as the present because the meer act of thinking so or realising it in any way would require that you move forward into a differn't time than the one you are discribing."
My opponent creates quite an incoherent argument. My opponent's argument is just illogical. The present is a broad term for a short period of time being experienced at a current time frame. My opponent's argument is both weak and flawed. He has yet to actually prove why there would be no present.

I thank my opponent and the readers for this debate. As my opponent has left many of my contentions unanswered and essentially forfeited his stance on the debate, I heavily urge a Con vote. Thank you.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
The phrase "at present" is typically used to mean "the state of the world when sampled at times around now." For example, "At present, California law requires that seat belts be fastened." That doesn't mean that there was one instant in time at which they are required, but rather that the status of an infrequently changing event is as described. It implies "present state." So, yes, there is a present, with the meaning "There is a present state."
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
wordsmithstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
wordsmithstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
wordsmithstudentathletechristian8Tied