inspyre
theCall

There is no scriptural basis for requiring Christians to tithe

inspyre

Pro

Although there are many preachers and denominations that teach that Christians should tithe (give 10% of their income) to their churches, there is no scriptural basis for this. From the beginning, Christianity broke apart from the 614 laws of the OT, especially among gentiles. Yet, many preachers teach that this is the one law that we must keep. Meanwhile:

1. The scripture always speaks of the tithe as food, never money,

2. The first tithe was a customary offering to Melchizedek for protection as Abraham crossed his land

3. Jacob was actually command to EAT his tithe

4. The tithe of Israel was designed to sustain the Levite priests, who ceased to operate in 70 AD when the temple was destroyed. Jews have not tithed since

5. The church did not teach tithe until the 700s AD, when the religioned needed a boost to propogate into a political power

6. Jesus distributed the priesthood to all believers and even called them the temple. If the tithe belongs with anyone it is the individual believers

7. The authority to demand or collect tithes was never assigned to an institution

8. New Testament giving was never to be done under compulsion

Therefore, any church teaching that tithes are required of Christians is robbing the believers of the their wages and using it to advance its own agenda. Mostly to pay for their expensive, unscriptural model of the institutional church.
theCall

Con

I first want to thank my opponent for this lovely argument, therefore before I begin this argument, I think I should first post a verse of the Bible:

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"(1 Corinthian 9:7)

First of all my opponent stated that the tithe suppose to be food, not money, that's why Jacob commanded to eat his tithe, but there are also no laws in the Bible against about giving money to the church, I agree, 10% would be some how ridiculous because sometimes I gave my church twice more than 10%, sometimes less, if we according on 1 Corinthian 9:7, you'll see that the Bible actually said give what you decided, if you have no money, you can write a prayer in a scratch of paper and put it in the box, it's find, it's depend on your heart, I don't find that the priest or the pastor will snatch your and punch you just because you didn't tithe.

"The tithe of Israel was designed to sustain the Levite priests, who ceased to operate in 70 AD when the temple was destroyed. Jews have not tithed since"

Also according in the Bible, we got 1 Corinthian 16:1-2 " 1Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made."

I think it's still reasonable to tithe your church with money, I don't think anybody will have time to bring food to he table, if so, I think when I go to church, I'll bring Pringles to church, it will be enough, right?

Hope you'll be satisfied with my argument, this is my first argument, thanks.
inspyre

Pro

I want to also thank my opponent for taking this issue on. Your response made me smile, although I had hoped for a more sophisticated answer. Somethings, however, the answers are simple than we make them. So, thank you for keeping things on the ground.

The 1 Cor 9:7 scripture is one of my favorite examples of New Testament giving. The the words "no reluctantly or under compulsion" are the keys here. Many preachers will agree with that scripture, but then add that it address one's MOTIVES for giving. But, that is not what that scripture says. A few key points:

"Each man should give what HE has decided in his heart to give"

This does not sound like the tithing mandate at all. The "man" decides what he wants to give in this example, not God. It does not even state that one should give "what the Holy Spirit places upon your heart". It states that we make the choice.

"not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"

This also makes it clear that the giving should not be painful. What we give should be out of what God has blessed us with, out of our abundance, not an Old Testament "sacrificial offering".

My opponent has taken a bit of a week opposing stance, since he admits that there is no scriptural premise for the 10%, and that it is "ridiculous" because of what his giving habits are. So, in essence, I have already won this debate:

He does, however, introduce a good thought in his comment:

"...but there are also no laws in the Bible against about giving money to the church."

I agree. I think we should be willing to give to anything that we feel we want to support. But, things drastically change when preachers teach that one is CURSED for not tithing when, again, there is no scriptural premise for that arguement. They use Malachi 3 to teach from, but forget to read Malachi 1 which clearly states that the people WERE tithing. But, the food was rotten and making the priests sick. That is what Malachi 3 is addressing. Again, tithe was always food.

"I don't find that the priest or the pastor will snatch your and punch you just because you didn't tithe."

No, but there are churches that certainly teach that you are under a curse, robbing God, and in disobedience if you do not give.

My opponent brought another great example of NT giving in the following verse:

1 Corinthian 16:1-2 " 1Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made."

This is another example of free will offerings that we actually taken up - get ready - FOR THE SAINTS. The gentile churches regularly contributed towards the disciples' campaign to provide for the poor in Jerusalem. In addition, early Christain giving was always aimed at meeting needs, not providing for the livelihood of pastors and buildings.

In terms of bringing Pringles to the church, at least it's more scriptural than 10% of your hard earned money. Just think, if all Christians were to redirect their giving to solving world hunger, we actually have enough money to solve it many times over.

I look forward to a great response.
theCall

Con

I am gladly to say thank you for your argument, first, I will cross all your argument my dear fellow:

This does not sound like the tithing mandate at all. The "man" decides what he wants to give in this example, not God. It does not even state that one should give "what the Holy Spirit places upon your heart". It states that we make the choice."
_ I believe so, but still in fact, Christians still go to church with all their hearts and give money, why? I believe that's not because some preachers gave them some menace that God will pour disaster on their homes, I have gone to church for years, 2 churches and none of those churches told me so.

_ True, but again, please look at this Malachi 3 that you said God punished those for giving the priest rotten food:
Malachi 3: 13-14 " 13 "You have said harsh things against me," says the LORD.
"Yet you ask, 'What have we said against you?'
"You have said, 'It is futile to serve God. What did we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the LORD Almighty? 15 But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly the evildoers prosper, and even those who challenge God escape.' "

So God did not punished them for giving the priest some rotten food but God punished them for believing that it's pointless to tithe God, so God punished them for blasphemy and believe in heretic things.

Furthermore, you said "I agree. I think we should be willing to give to anything that we feel we want to support. But, things drastically change when preachers teach that one is CURSED for not tithing when, again, there is no scriptural premise for that arguement. They use Malachi 3 to teach from, but forget to read Malachi 1 which clearly states that the people WERE tithing. But, the food was rotten and making the priests sick. That is what Malachi 3 is addressing. Again, tithe was always food."

Like I said, God really didn't care if their food were rotten, but why did God punished those people? The point was those people with their darken heart had given the Lord bad things, 'cause they said: "Oh well, what's the point of tithe God anyway." I found it similar between this story and the story of Cain and Aben, God accepted Aben offer clearly because Aben offer was better than Cain.

My opponent also stated:

"This is another example of free will offerings that we actually taken up - get ready - FOR THE SAINTS. The gentile churches regularly contributed towards the disciples' campaign to provide for the poor in Jerusalem. In addition, early Christain giving was always aimed at meeting needs, not providing for the livelihood of pastors and buildings."

Yes, of course for the saints, because the saints were the heads of the church, if you didn't give money to them then to who? The money indeed did come to the poor but also to provide for the church, for the saints in their campaign because I believe Jerusalem was not just poor about their lives but also lots and lots of them also poor about their faith, they didn't know or didn't want to accept Jesus, therefore they do really need those money, and I am sure lots of churches nowaday really need us to contribute money for their campaign too preach the gospel to the people who never have a chance to listen to the power and the love of Jesus. Like you said again, EARLY Christians did indeed always aimed for metting needs, not to providing for pastors or buildings but the time we're now is the time of struggle and money is the only way to get through really, while the pastors themselve spend years of years to study and to preach the Bible to us, I think it's make sense to contribute to the church to provide for them, plus not all of your money go to the pastors, I believe the tithe also help the church have enough equipments and materials to go out there and help the people who don't know about Jesus, know and accept Jesus to be their Lord.

My friend, let's me quote this Bible verse to you:

Luke 21: 1-4
1As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins.[a] 3"I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in ALL she had to live on."

I think 10% is kind of still somehow too small to compare to what Jesus wanted us to give, He wanted us to be like that widow, to put all we have for Him, amen.

I'm aalso looking forward to a great response my friend.
inspyre

Pro

Congratulations on a more fiesty rebuttal! Great thoughts and insights.

GIVING BECAUSE YOU WANT TO

I think my opponent brings an interesting point up in the fact that there are many Christians who give to their churches without being asked or demanded of. They believe in the the cause their church promotes and the mission of the leadership of that organization. They like having a place to worship together with friends and strangers, and they don't mind paying for what that costs. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this sentiment.

But, that is not tithing - that is donating. The concept of tithing is that of a mandatory, consulsory offering necessary for pleasing God and financial blessings. That's a far cry from what he is describing.

MALACHI 3

Now, concerning Malachi 3, we have to be careful not to twist the scripture. The accusation here is that the people were saying that "it its futile to serve God". It does not say that they believed it was pointless to TITHE (although you could probably include that in serving God under the law). Let look at Malachi 1:7

Mal 1:7 "Ye offer pollutedH bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the LORD is contemptible."

So, my opponent's statement, "God really didn't care if their food were rotten", is a false statement. It was apparently a core issue. It also proves that the people WERE in fact tithing, which changes the meaning of Malachi 3 from what most preachers teach.

However, I do agree with my opponent in the premise that there was more to the issue than the tithes, which God was certainly responding to. Yet, in many churches, a person could be doing everything else "right" except for tithing and they are told that they are under the CURSE - one that Jesus freed us from on the cross.

By the way, Cain and Abel offered God a different type of offering, which was never referred to as a tithe.

FOR THE SAINTS

My opponent has also made a grave mistake in this debate. He defined saints as the LEADERS of the church. The scripture defines saints as ALL BELIEVERS. The amount that was being collected in Jerusalem was not for Paul's livelihood - he had a tent making business. It was to return to Jerusalem with money to help the poor there and help fill needs within the church.

I agree with my opponent that the early church was not at all interested in covering pastoral salaries or church building costs. However, today's church is no more deserving of this. The current church model needs money because of the way it is being done. If we did church like Acts 2, home to home and person to person, we would not need to give billions to pay for pastoral salaries, building funds, and elaborate decorations.

The fact is, being an ex-pastor myself, churches spend more than 80% of the tithes and offerings on maintenance of facilities and staff salaries. Most are lucky if 1% makes it to the poor, the widow, the orphan, or saints in need.

THE WIDOW'S GIFT

Jesus did share the story of the widow who gave more than all the others. He was illustrating a matter of the heart. This widow, even in her need, was willing to give to others even when it was all she had. This in no way substantiates the tithe.

GIVING ALL

I agree with my opponent with on modification - we should consider all we have as God's and see ourselves as stewards of those things. If you have a big house, share it with others and show hospitality. If you have a lot of money, share it with those who are struggling and need a break. That is the Christain way of giving. The Bible states:

Luk 6:38 "give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you."

The context of this is far from giving to the church. It is about fulfilling the needs of your BROTHERS and NEIGHBORS. It is about the fact that if you take care of people, in your time of need, people will give back to you our of gratitude. It's not about tithing or giving money to a spiritual leader. This entire chapter is about how you should act towards your brothers. That is the key to giving outside of being bound to the law of tithing.
theCall

Con

This is great, we're getting nearer and nearer to the truth:

~~REBUTTAL~~

+"But, that is not tithing - that is donating. The concept of tithing is that of a mandatory, consulsory offering necessary for pleasing God and financial blessings. That's a far cry from what he is describing."

Let's us look at our definition of the word "tithe'
_ Tithe: "to pay or GIVE a tenth part of especially for the support of the church"
So tithe not just mean paying in a routine, or somehow as you say, do it with a pressure a compression upon their faith, tithe just simply mean give tenth part, when we say give, it could has some likelihoods with pay but the word "pay" mean must, "give" means you may or may not, give is a more freedom term.

+"So, my opponent's statement, "God really didn't care if their food were rotten", is a false statement. It was apparently a core issue. It also proves that the people WERE in fact tithing, which changes the meaning of Malachi 3 from what most preachers teach."
_To be able to understand this verse from Malachi, we ought to look more than just Malachi 1:7
Malachi 1:7-8 ""You place defiled food on my altar.
"But you ask, 'How have we defiled you?'
"By saying that the LORD's table is contemptible. When you bring blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice crippled or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?" says the LORD Almighty."

God really doesn't care how many and how you give Him your offering or tithe, like when we go in church, it doesn't important how much you give, 10% is a proportion that the Bible had given in the Old Testament, but what does God care about? What God cares about is how you give your offer, how do you tithe, like this scripture said "By saying that the LORD's table is contemptible...", the matter was the men thought about offering to God is pointless and they made and blasphemy about that by saying; "The Lord's table is contemptible...", like the book of Isaiah said

+" However, I do agree with my opponent in the premise that there was more to the issue than the tithes, which God was certainly responding to. Yet, in many churches, a person could be doing everything else "right" except for tithing and they are told that they are under the CURSE - one that Jesus freed us from on the cross."
_ I do indeed think so, but there's this strange thing that you think the belief of Jesus freeing them from the cross is a curse is kind of insulting and aggressive toward Christianity, in the introduction you said: "There ARE preachers and denominations tell people that they're under a curse...", yes there are, but not all of the preachers and churches, I can say the people you're talking about are minority in Christianity.

+"My opponent has also made a grave mistake in this debate. He defined saints as the LEADERS of the church. The scripture defines saints as ALL BELIEVERS. The amount that was being collected in Jerusalem was not for Paul's livelihood - he had a tent making business. It was to return to Jerusalem with money to help the poor there and help fill needs within the church."
_True, but as we read the Bible, the saints, or let's just say in this situation, Paul, have a lot of respects and a high position in the churches, as we read the Bible, Paul always considered as a Church Father, the one who taught the early churches morality, yes indeed it wasn't for Paul or the Saints' livelihoods, but it also just not for the poor in Jerusalem, I believe the money will also for the cost of preaching the Gospel.

+"I agree with my opponent that the early church was not at all interested in covering pastoral salaries or church building costs. However, today's church is no more deserving of this. The current church model needs money because of the way it is being done. If we did church like Acts 2, home to home and person to person, we would not need to give billions to pay for pastoral salaries, building funds, and elaborate decorations." Paul also said: "To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law."( 1 Corinthians 9:20), the evolution of the churches continue to grow, Paul wanted us to adapt and grow in the environment of the world we're living in to be able to preach the gospel, think of if we live person to person, home to home, will that be adapting with this busy environment we're living? Plus, the pastors now are the people who study for the glory of God and to preach, so I think we ought to help them in their lives, supporting their flesh for they to be able to support us in our spirit

+"Jesus did share the story of the widow who gave more than all the others. He was illustrating a matter of the heart. This widow, even in her need, was willing to give to others even when it was all she had. This in no way substantiates the tithe."
_ The matter of the heart like you said, then do you think now that not all of the Christians who giving 10% not because they're under pressure? There are not lots of church who pressure their church's members to give money in the box.

It's true and indeed we provide for our brothers and sisters, but look at the church you're worshipping now, we believe that in a church, Jesus is the head and all of us, all of us are the body parts, then do you think we should tithe for the church, to keep it growing? To pay for the cost of preaching gospel, to pay for the pastors and the building funds? You're a member of a church, and I believe you should do something to help the church that you're participating.

Thanh you and I'm waiting for your next argument.
inspyre

Pro

Good thoughts. Let's zoom in a little for this next round. I feel like the conversation is deviating. But, I will answer your points.

This depate is about whether or not the Bible commands Christians to tithe, not about whether it is GOOD to tithe, or necessary to support the church.

I think you might be minimizing how much this teaching is taught based on your lack of exposure to a variety of churches. I agree, there are some churches that do not make tithing a big deal. But, from having interacted with as many churches and ministries as I have, I can tell you that it is the prominent teaching when it comes to a Christian's fiscal obligation to their churches.

On to the debate...

DEFINITION OF THE TITHE

Agreed to the English definition of the word TITHE. But, the Biblical concept of the tithe is a different issue. It is a compulsory offering. This debate is to establish the basis for extending that OT law to the NT Church

REQUIRED AMOUNT

You have stated: "God really doesn't care how many and how you give Him your offering or tithe." Therefore you agree that the Bible does not support the mandate for Christians.

THE CURSE

I did not say that Jesus' sacrifice was a curse, but, "they are told that they are under the CURSE - one that Jesus freed us from on the cross." Jesus FREED us from the CURSE of the law. That was my statement.

THE ROLE OF THE APOSTLES

Paul, was indeed a key player in the establishment of the Gentile church. He was "Paul, the apostle to the gentiles." But, there is no indication that he was ever supported by the church. Paul established fellowships in different cities, staying with them for only a while, then writing letters to provide further guidance. He was very much a "big brother" to the churches. But, he had no say in their governance. Each church had elders, older men of integrity and reputation, to help guide the community of faith, much like a natural village (that is a term borrowed from a good friend of mine).

ARE ALL CHRISTIANS PRESSURED TO GIVE?

The debate was not about that issue at all. I agree that not all Christians give BECAUSE of the law. But, churches that DEMAND it for that reason have no basis for doing so.

THE CHURCH

I actually do not worship "at a church". I AM the Church, and worship together with other believers who ARE the Church. We don't have a building, nor pastoral salaries, nor costs to preach the Gospel. We just try to reach people through relationship, and we explore faith together. That's the Biblical model for being the Church. I don't actually see one for "going to church."

But, let's keep to the issue. Does the Bible COMMAND Christians to TITHE to their church?
theCall

Con

theCall forfeited this round.
inspyre

Pro

I would, once again, like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Although he did fail to respond to the 4th round, I do invite him to conclude his arguments in this round.

To conclude, tithing was never meant for Christians. The tithe, as taught today, was part of the Law of Moses given to the Jews to support the Levitical priesthood, the one tribe in Israel that was not allowed to accumulate possessions. They were to be supported by the people and be devoted full time to performing the many rituals, sacrifices, festivals, and instruction of the people. That priesthood ended in 70 AD, when the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, which Jesus prophecied. Before then, He distributed the priesthood to all believers and even called us the temple. He became every sacrifice in order to fulfill the laws regarding sin atonement. There are no more sacrifices necessary, and certainly no tithes due. This is evident by the fact that even Jews do not tithe today.

For those that would argue that the tithe predates Moses, consider a few facts.

1. Tithing was not a Jewish invention. It was customary for tithes to be paid to a local King or Lord of the land

2. When Israel wanted a king, one of the prophets first warnings was that the king would require 10% from them

3. Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek was a voluntary tithe given to him most likely for safe passage through his land. Also remember, that the tithe was from PLUNDER - what Abraham had just finished STEALING, not what he grew himself.

4. Jacob's tithe was a conditional tithe. He gave it only as the result of an oath he made to God. God instructs him later to use the offering to have a feast with his family.

5. The tithe was never money. It was always food, in spite of the fact that money existed early in Genesis.

6. Conversion of food tithes to money was only done when the family lived too far from the temple, and it was then used to provide for the poor.

7. Gentiles were NEVER commanded to tithe. Which is why you will not see Jesus condemning the tithe when referring to Jewish people during His time. But, the command is never issued to non-Jews.

8. Jesus said, regarding the temple tax, that the Children of the King were free. He only gave "so that will not be offended."

9. All examples of NT giving are concerning the poor and to provide for those in need within the Church. Jesus only casually mentions the tithe, again in connection to Jewish people.

10. We are clearly freed from the law when Paul tells us to give "not under compulsion". The tithe would be compulsory.

The list goes on. But, as to the point my opponent made of Christians being free to give voluntarily, I completely agree. If someone is doing something great that you wish to support, whether it be a local church or a nonprofit organization, you are free to give to these things "as purposed in each mans heart." You set the amount as you can afford. If you are not giving the false tithe, you will have more than enough money to do this.

I welcome anyone who would like to take this debate on at any time. It was fun.
theCall

Con

I apologize to my opponent, I was busy for the whole week therefore I really couldn't.

Tithing, what's tithing, there are an ample churches that tell people that they're under a curse or something like that if they don't tithe, but that's the wrong churches with a bunch of pastors and priests who maybe just want to improve the church or actually trying to pry the money out of their church's members for their own benefit.

But that does not mean that tithe is not what God wants us to do, the Bible said in Leviticus 27:30 "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.", just because the people in the Old Testament time use different materials to tithe does no mean or tell us to relinquish tithing.

Let's us take another look at the Bible: "There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales" (Acts 4:34)

The salvation is free, but tithing is not a way to bribe, to buy the salvation, it's the way we show our obedient to the Lord, give Him back a part of our possessions, like the Good Book said: "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.""(1 Samuel 15:22).

Conclusion:

We're not under any compulsion, that's our choice, our free choice to give to God what He gave us, do not be like Ananias and Sapphira, do not lie to God, do not test the Spirit of God, we do this under free choice, a free choice that can lead us to obedient, faith and the power of our God, amen.
Posted by theCall 7 years ago
theCall
I'm waiting for somebody to at least vote.
Posted by inspyre 7 years ago
inspyre
Why did you post this? Not sure what you are waiting for - the debate is over... Am I missing something?
Posted by theCall 7 years ago
theCall
hello? Anybody here?
Posted by inspyre 7 years ago
inspyre
You sound like a great kid. Keep it up, brother. Keep searching for truth.
Posted by theCall 7 years ago
theCall
I believe in God and still a teenager, but sometimes I do feel that I'm too old for my age, I love classical music and my hobby is study about religions.
Posted by inspyre 7 years ago
inspyre
Thanks for asking that. I actually believe in God more than EVER! But, I left the pastorate after 20 years of ministry. The inner workings of a church is not what people think it is, and isn't really scriptural anyway. So, I starting meeting in my home with people, like in Acts 2, and submitting myself to my brothers in the faith. I contribute what I know and am, and they do the same. It's been a new life, free to just be a Christian and live our Jesus' teachings. It's the best time I have ever had. How about you?
Posted by theCall 7 years ago
theCall
I have a question to ask, you said you are an ex-pastor, then how and why did you stop being a pastor and do you still believe in God?
Posted by inspyre 7 years ago
inspyre
This is a lot of fun! Thanks theCall for taking part in this.
Posted by theCall 7 years ago
theCall
I wish to see your argument soon inspyre.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
I think I remember something in the fourth grade about how we should use our money. It was:
10% to Charity
10% in Savings
80% to Spend
Now I know why. Interesting.
Vote Placed by Flame 7 years ago
Flame
inspyretheCallTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
inspyretheCallTied