SamuelMarshall999
Cloneorder66

There is no "sin".

SamuelMarshall999

Pro

First round is for accepting only. I will make arguments why I think that "sin" is superstition.

The definition of sin will be:

Wrongdoing, particularly the breaking of moral or religious rules. In the Hebrew scriptures, sin is viewed as a hatred of God or defiance of his commandments. The New Testament regards sinfulness as the inherent state of humanity, which Jesus came into the world to heal. Christian theologians divide sin into actual and original sin. Actual sin, consisting of evil acts, words, and deeds, is in turn divided into mortal sin, in which the perpetrator deliberately turns away from God, and venial sin, a less serious transgression committed without full awareness of wrongdoing. In Islam, sin is a straying from God's path; the prophets were sent to guide people back to the true path. In Hinduism and Buddhism, the good and evil deeds one commits in this life affect one's rebirth in the next. - Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Cloneorder66

Con

I accept the debate, best of luck.
SamuelMarshall999

Pro

Thank you, my friend.

I will primarily be focusing on Abraham religions.

Sin, sin, sin... Most of us have probably been taught what this is from as long as we can remember. We do a certain naughty thing that the Bible says we shouldn't and by doing so we anger our beloved God.

We do not listen to what the priest at church says and this makes us very naughty, it makes us "sinners".
"Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel." (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

I don't believe so. I agree that there is a thing called morals, but this has nothing to do with religion. You either have it, or you don't.

If you do something immoral you have committed a sin, I get that.

But what I do not get is when people make statements like this for example - "If you do not accept YHWH as your god you are committing a sin ".

"They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman." (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Hmmm, okay... Out of 6.9 billion people in the world 53% of them are getting it right? Other religions are sin? Believing in some other God is a sin?

"Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. " (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

And what gives any religion the right to say other religions are false? What gives them the right to claim other religions are SIN?

"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst."

Okay, maybe the Christian god YHWH is really just jealous... What about masturbation? Are we humans not sexual in nature and seek such pleasures by default? Is it not our instinct to deal with basic survival, pleasure, and reproduction? Why then would this be a sin? Look at the wild beasts, the only thing that makes us different from them is our "intelligence" and ego. Do animals commit sin, when they follow their instincts? It would be unnatural to try to repress our need for the pleasure of sex and masturbation.

"A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death." (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Okay, so why does marriage make sex right? Because a priest gave you permission to do so?

"But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst." (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Marriage is only symbolic for "I wanna spend the rest of my life with this person", but behind the symbolism it doesn't mean anything really. So many divorces and marriages gone bad.

"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death." (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Oh, divorce is also a sin I guess, for God doesn't like it when you change your mind about spending your whole life with a person, even though you have every right to do so.

Homosexuals are committing a sin, right? They are born with a different sexuality, this is not their choice, yet still people call homosexuality a sin against God.

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

If there is a God, then why would he care about such things? Why would an omnipotent and omniscient being care about, me, a little bacteria in a universe that might or might not have an ending? Why would this God care about whether I masturbate, who I sleep with, and what sexuality I am? Okay, there are some heavier "sins", such as murder. Let's see what the Bible has to say about murder - "Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed he who holds back his sword from blood." (Jeremiah 48:10 NAB)

This one is particularly funny - "He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death."

Okay,okay, but that kinda contradicts with this commandment - "Thou shalt not kill"

I do not believe in sin, but I do believe in morals, and as I said, you either have them, or you don't.

I also believe people tend to do mistakes. Mistakes are a part of human nature. These mistakes are necessary for our own further spiritual development. If we do not do mistakes, we cannot learn from them. You may be wondering - "what about Hitler"? I do not like the dualistic view of good and evil. There is no evil - it is lack of good. Lack of good is ignorance. You see my friend, people like Hitler aren't evil. They are just so incredibly ignorant that they are practically retarded on a spiritual level.

With all these things said, I now let my opponent say what he thinks.
Good luck to you too.
Cloneorder66

Con

Cloneorder66 forfeited this round.
SamuelMarshall999

Pro

My opponent seems to have forfeited the previous round. If my opponent does not make any arguments in this round, then it seems that I have made my point.
Cloneorder66

Con

Cloneorder66 forfeited this round.
SamuelMarshall999

Pro

I have made my point.
Cloneorder66

Con

Cloneorder66 forfeited this round.
SamuelMarshall999

Pro

SamuelMarshall999 forfeited this round.
Cloneorder66

Con

Cloneorder66 forfeited this round.
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
Yeah, you might want to define "sin" just to avoid having the debate turn into an argument over the meaning of words.
Posted by Flipz 2 years ago
Flipz
This debate seems highly semantic