LoveyounoHomo
JustCallMeTarzan

There is no such thing as a bad influence

JustCallMeTarzan

LoveyounoHomo

Pro

I would like to thank anyone who accepts this debate for this topic came to me at school. I would like for the Con to go first. Also anyone who Votes I would like to put a comment in the comment section.

Good Luck
Con May Start
JustCallMeTarzan

Con

This resolution seems a silly notion to me. There are many different types of bad influence, some far worse than others. In order to fulfill the burden of proof, PRO must show that each of my examples are NOT bad influences, a very high bar to meet indeed.

********************
Influence (Dictionary.com)
-noun
1. the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others.
2. the action or process of producing effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of another or others.
3. a person or thing that exerts influence.

**************************

Examples:

1. Social Influence

This can be anything from a minor case of peer pressure to a negative action, such as TP'ing someone's house or egging a car to the influence of society writ large towards generally considered "bad" things like premarital sex, immodesty, drug use, criminal behavior, and the like.

2. Parental Influence

How many times have people been their parent's failed dreams? This is fairly common - the parent wasn't able to be the ballerina or participate in the beauty pageant, or learn to play tennis like a professional, so they enroll their kids in all these activities, hoping to make their kids into a clone of their ideal version of themselves. This is of course psychologically damaging in that the kids are not able to structure their life as they see fit, and often breeds a sense of resentment in the children.

3. Hypnosis

I have personally seen people under hypnosis do things they would have never done otherwise. For example, a group of people under hypnosis was told they were watching a movie on a plane. Then they were told the movie was rated X. One of the girls in the group began touching herself, something that she would have never done while not under hypnosis, and something that was highly embarrassing for her.

4. Controlled Substance Influence

This includes the influence of drugs like alcohol, heroine, crystal meth, LSD, LSA, and other hallucinogens. Obviously there are negative effects of being under the influence of these substances.

**********************************

I await my opponent's rebuttal concerning how these are not "bad influences."

NEGATED.
LoveyounoHomo

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting my Debate, and I wish him best of luck in future rounds. I am the Pro for this argument. Let me start off with a quick example. Say you are going to Dairy Queen to get a Oreo blizzard. You get there and wait in like for a few minutes. Finally you get up to the counter and start to talk when someone says "Hey, this M&M blizzard is might tasty". You decide to order an M&M blizzard not oreo. To most that is an influence, but to me its something very different.

As my first argument I would like to state that you were probably thinking about that M&M blizzard in the first place. So in reality it wasn't an influence, it was you not being able to decide.

Now I will try to prove my opponents examples are not bad influences.

Social influence according to my opponent is "peer pressure" and "Premarital sex". When can you say that peer pressure is a way of an influence. Say someone offers you a Drink of alcohol. You take it, once again that is you already thinking about taking that drink. If you done take it then you don't, it is your decision and no one can make you Decide or even help you decide.

Parental influence isn't even about there parents enrolling the kids in something they couldn't do. Once again the kid at one point will say he didn't like it and quit, because of his own decision.

Hypnosis is yet another a way of your own being. 50 percent of the people that are hypnotized let themselves be hypnotized. The other 50 percent isn't hypnotized because they don't want to be and don't have the will to be.

Controlled Substance Influence isn't "obviously a negative effect of being under a drug". What negative effects are there when your uti? "Umm yea I feel great and I can see things, this is the best feeling of my life". I'm pretty set on that not being a negative influence. You also feel how you want to feel under drugs. If you let yourself get sucked in then you will feel more than usual. Also what if you get one hit off the blunt, will you get any influence? Not at all.

I'm running out of time so I had to make this quick. I look forward to my opponents rebuttle. Good Luck Tarzan.
JustCallMeTarzan

Con

Some Responses:

>> "Finally you get up to the counter and start to talk when someone says "Hey, this M&M blizzard is might tasty". You decide to order an M&M blizzard not oreo. To most that is an influence, but to me its something very different."

How you personally regard influence is completely immaterial to this debate.

>> "So in reality it wasn't an influence, it was you not being able to decide."

Except that your decision was helped along to fruition by someone remarking about the M&M Blizzard... this is... INFLUENCE.

>> "Social influence according to my opponent is "peer pressure" and "Premarital sex". "

My opponent apparently missed where I actually said "This can be anything from a minor case of peer pressure to a negative action, such as TP'ing someone's house or egging a car to the influence of society writ large towards generally considered "bad" things like premarital sex, immodesty, drug use, criminal behavior, and the like."

>> "Parental influence isn't even about there parents enrolling the kids in something they couldn't do."

My opponent seems to have a bizarre understanding of influence if parents enrolling their children in something they don't wish to do is not exerting influence. Definition 1 of influence (in relevant part): "the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions... of others." This is obviously influence - BAD influence because the child does not want to enroll in these activities.

>> "Hypnosis is yet another a way of your own being. 50 percent of the people that are hypnotized let themselves be hypnotized. The other 50 percent isn't hypnotized because they don't want to be and don't have the will to be."

Thus, my opponent concedes that at least 50% of all hypnotized people are being influenced. If they do something they regret, like touching themselves onstage, the influence is negative.

>> "What negative effects are there when your uti? "Umm yea I feel great and I can see things, this is the best feeling of my life". I'm pretty set on that not being a negative influence."

I suggest my opponent ingest about 6 oz of nutmeg (perfectly legal) and see if being "UTI" is a positive influence then.

>> "You also feel how you want to feel under drugs."

This is completely false - hallucinogens like acid can give the user a trip that is nothing like what they want.

>> "Also what if you get one hit off the blunt, will you get any influence? Not at all.

Which would mean that you're... not under the influence. Duh.

*************************************************

My opponent has provided no substantive argument, simply contending that "to me its [influence] something very different." This is not an argument at all. He has yet to show in any way that my above situations do not exert bad influence on people.
LoveyounoHomo

Pro

I am sorry but i must resign. Your debate was good actually great and i do not have the time to further debate. I thank you and wish you look in future debates.
JustCallMeTarzan

Con

Much thanks for the concession!

Vote CON.
Posted by Chuckles 8 years ago
Chuckles
hmm when i saw this i was expecting something along the lines of you can learn from any "bad" influences & actions, but it went somewhere else. In my opinion, CON all the way.
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
Vote PRO! XD
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 8 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Thinks like that puzzle me too, KRF... me too...
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Points to Con. I don't know how, for the life of me, Pro has so many points given his conceding the debate to Con.

This debate refutes the resolution! Pro tried to argue the influence is just a perception, that people already have a leaning towards one direction. Yet Pro was influenced by Con's arguments to the point of conceding the debate. Awesome!
Posted by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
You made me think, Bobby. You yourself admitted defeat in the end, but you made me think. :)

Well-dispatched, Tarzan.
Vote Placed by dirtbiker0405 8 years ago
dirtbiker0405
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by Rodriguez47 8 years ago
Rodriguez47
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by jjmd280 8 years ago
jjmd280
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by SaraMarie 8 years ago
SaraMarie
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by dvhoose 8 years ago
dvhoose
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by Brock757 8 years ago
Brock757
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by farmboy22 8 years ago
farmboy22
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
LoveyounoHomoJustCallMeTarzanTied