Pillowface
rcrobot

There is no such thing as "curse" words

Pillowface

Pro

We hear curse words all the time and we cringe every time they are said unexpectedly or a famous person utters them. But who is to say these words are bad? Society is to blame for brainwashing us into believing such words are bad. Society has to learn that there is a difference between curses and vulgar words.
rcrobot

Con

This is an interesting concept. I'll take the position that there ARE words which are bad, called "swear words" or "curse words". Let's begin.

To start, I wish to remind my opponent that ALL words are merely sounds that come out of our mouths. None of them have any meaning to someone who has not heard the words before. For example, a newborn baby would not be offended if you told it "F*** you", simply because it has not yet made the association between certain sounds and their meaning. When a new word is created, we use context clues to determine what a repeated sound means. Hearing "dog" while pointing to a dog might cause you to associate that sound with the animal. When this association is widely accepted, it is called a word.

When talking about curse words, we have to analyze them in the same way. What do we as humans associate with each sound? Curse words are simply sounds that have negative or offensive associations. For example, when we hear the sound "a**", we immediately think of a rear end, because that is what society has associated with that sound. But something that makes swear words unique is not only a denotive definition, but also a strong negative connotation. For example, although "behind" and "a**" have the same denotative definition, the connotations are very different. You would never hear a preschool teacher tell their kids to "sit on your a**es", but you might hear them say "sit on your behinds".

My opponent mentioned how society is responsible for creating this connotation with negative things, and they are partially correct. But again, I must remind my opponent that all words also do the same thing, and nearly all words have some connotation, whether good or bad.

The key question here though is whether or not these swear words are bad, according to my opponent's first argument. Swear words are bad because people take offense to negative connotations. By hearing a swear word, you immediately associate an image in your mind, and since swear words have negative connotations, the image is not pleasant, or provokes negative emotions.

In summary, swear words are words that have highly negative connotations. Although society is responsible for creating these connotations, society has to associate connotations with all words in order for them to be fully defined. A word cannot truly exist without some connotation. Swear words are bad because they provoke negative thoughts by means of negative connotations.

This concludes my argument. Thank you.
Pillowface

Pro

Pillowface forfeited this round.
rcrobot

Con

rcrobot forfeited this round.
Pillowface

Pro

Pillowface forfeited this round.
rcrobot

Con

rcrobot forfeited this round.
Pillowface

Pro

Pillowface forfeited this round.
rcrobot

Con

rcrobot forfeited this round.
Posted by Pillowface 3 years ago
Pillowface
OK I have no idea where my argument went...
Posted by Kaneo 3 years ago
Kaneo
Words do not exist objectively. A word is a meaningful element of speech or writing. They only "exist" in speech and writing completely under the perception and thoughts of the people using them.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
So you believe that words subjectively exist?

The same could be said about curse words, you know.

Besides, words do objectively exist. I believe you mean to say that the meaning behind words don't objectively exist, correct?
Posted by Dufflepud 3 years ago
Dufflepud
Are you saying that they don't exist, or that they don't objectively exist? The first is false, the second is true.
Posted by Kaneo 3 years ago
Kaneo
No such thing as words either, it's just sound that our brains interpret as meaningful.