renji_abarai
exempli_gratia

There is no such thing as trying, you either do it or you don't

renji_abarai

renji_abarai

Con

The first round is just to state your position clearly. There will be no abuse of semantics, dictionary's, literary devices, or any form of abuse of any kind.

My position is that you have to try before you actually succeed. You can't outright succeed or fail without trying it first.
exempli_gratia

Pro

For the purposes of this debate I will be using the Merriam-Webster online dictionary to define all words [1]. Although I will attempt not to abuse semantics, semantics play a significant part in this statement.

It is my contention that, for any possible action that can be committed, there are only two possible outcomes. Either an individual will “do it”, namely take the action to its completion, or they will fail to do so (“don’t”). Simply put, an individual continues their course of action until they succeed or fail.

My opponent has said that the first round is for stating my position clearly, so I will not attempt to expand on this or rebut his argument. I will only add the following:

"Do or do not, there is no try". If Yoda said it, it has to be correct.

renji_abarai

Con

I am sorry for not posting a reasonable debate this round because I am in a rush with very little time so I apologize to the viewers and voters and my opponent.

First
We are talking about something in real life and Yoda is a fictional character no matter how famous he cane be. as my opponent states "Do or do not, there is no try". If Yoda said it, it has to be correct.", That is like saying if Yoda tells everyone to jump off a bridge or become evil then it must be correct.

Second
My opponent is basically saying that you either succeed or you fail. I am against that statement and I say that an attempt must be made before you can succeed or fail. You have to learn and try to succeed or end up failing while trying.

Third
I must say that everyone must have said "I'll try" "Ill try to do it" or some form of "trying". From being able to first speak to this very moment, it's impossible to deny that you haven't said i'll try in any variation.

I again am very sorry to all that I could not post my fourth reason as I am rushed at this moment. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I am very eager to see the outcome and future debates for this topic. I wish my opponent good luck.
exempli_gratia

Pro

exempli_gratia forfeited this round.
renji_abarai

Con

I am sorry that my opponent could not post his argument in time and I am sure by all means that he was busy so he could not post it. I thoroughly am enjoying this debate even though only one debate has been posted.

First
As I stated before, Yoda is a fictional character and just because Yoda says something, doesn't mean its true. He is a character that was created through some computer graphics and if you trust Yoda as a fictional character then its right out there obviously that you would trust Anakin when he says to jump into the Sarlaac pit or Darth Sidius when he says to force choke yourself. Stating a quite from a fictional character that will never be real is not quite enough back up to argue.

Second
He did not specify that definition from Merriam Webster's dictionary therefore I am free to take his brief statement and make it into my own definition. As I stated in round 1 "There will be no abuse of semantics, dictionary's, literary devices, or any form of abuse of any kind", This means that whoever sets the definition in play gets to keep the definition that way. My opponent says "for any possible action that can be committed, there are only two possible outcomes". This is true, but also take notice of how he says "for any possible action that can be committed". That means to try because to try, in my definition, means to start an action to put you on the course of succeeding or failing. You can't fail or succeed without without taking the course of action to start it

http://www.forexfactory.com...

(This source may seem irrelevant, but they are talking about the topic of trying and they all agree with he/she when he/she posted that question because they didn't reject "trying")
exempli_gratia

Pro

exempli_gratia forfeited this round.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Willoweed, your vote makes no sense. Why'd you vote for Pro if he forfeited every round except round one?
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
lol yea i agree that yoda would definitly go with gratia on this one sorry renji lol
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Yoda's on Pro's side.
Posted by OMGJustinBieber 5 years ago
OMGJustinBieber
It's kind of hard to deny the existence of making an attempt. :(
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
I would accept this debate, if I didn't agree with you.
Vote Placed by Mr.Infidel 5 years ago
Mr.Infidel
renji_abaraiexempli_gratiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit 2 rounds and all 7 points to con. Sorry willow v-bombed.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
renji_abaraiexempli_gratiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct and convincing arguments goes to con due to pro's forfeit.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
renji_abaraiexempli_gratiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made no arguments. Default victory to Con.
Vote Placed by Willoweed 5 years ago
Willoweed
renji_abaraiexempli_gratiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: just looka t the debate
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
renji_abaraiexempli_gratiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not holding conduct against Pro because he has been inactive for several weeks. Something must have come up in his life that prevented him from getting on this site; therefore, I'm not holding it against him.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
renji_abaraiexempli_gratiaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made no argument and forfeited.