apb4y
InnovativeEphemera

There is no valid reason for an adult to complain about being a virgin.

InnovativeEphemera

apb4y

Pro

Guys, get some cash together and hire a prostitute. Make sure you shower first, and be a gentleman at all times. Don't use "it's illegal"/"it's immoral" as a cop-out; whining about your virgin status is worse. Plus, the fact that it's illegal never stopped anybody.

Girls, go to a strip club, find the best-looking guy in there and ask him to have sex with you. Don't use "I want it to be special" as a cop-out; if you cared about that then you wouldn't be so desperate to lose your virginity in the first place.
InnovativeEphemera

Con

I will define valid as: 'reasonable or cogent'.
While this debate, by its nature, may be inherently subjective to a certain extent, I believe that I can present a strong argument for my position.
Best of luck!
apb4y

Pro

Okay, well I've already made an opening pitch and can't refute a reason(s) that haven't been presented, so back to you.
InnovativeEphemera

Con

I thank my opponent for the round, however I remind my opponent that he has the burden of proof.
___

Opening notes

Initial disclaimer: Many different groups of people, and even individuals, have varying definitions of virginity. Some are of the opinion that the concept is a tool developed by the church to stifle normal sexual behaviour by framing it as a desirable trait to maintain. While I think there is merit in this position, this is not the topic of the debate, and I will be arguing from the perspective of Con in the debate that "There is no valid reason for an adult to complain about being a virgin".

Introductory scene-setting: Not only does sex feel good both physically and emotionally, it also provides health benefits(3). Abraham Maslow identified sexual health as being a component of the very first tier of human needs on his hierarchy(4). While the hierarchy has been expanded since his original work, sex has been kept in the model as a fundamental attribute to overall human health. While I will not persist in addressing this model throughout the course of my arguments, I identify this point here to keep the idea that sex is fundamental to health, and that a lack of sex is detrimental, in the back of your mind, as I address whether or not people have a right to complain about their virgin status.

While different people have different definitions of virginity and sexual intercourse, I will use the following cited sources, as we must have some platform to conduct the debate and authoritative, formal sources are the only way we can maintain fairness.

Virgin: 'apersonwhohasneverhadsexualintercourse.'(1)

Sexual intercourse: 'genitalcontact,especiallytheinsertionofthepenisintothevagina followedbyorgasm'.(2)

Injury
Consider a pre-pubescent male who suffered genital injury (or cancer or disease or any other incapacitating medical situation). Now let us consider that his penis was removed, either for medical purposes or through the course of an accident. When the boy reaches adulthood, it would be a valid (as defined) reason for him to complain about being a virgin. This is because the boy would in all likelihood develop the sex drive associated with an adolescent and adult male, however he would never be able to relieve this through masturbation or sex. He would also live in the knowledge that he would die never having had sex or experienced that aspect of his life. This would be very frustrating and upsetting, and as stated, would be a valid reason to complain about being a virgin.

Looks
Perhaps an individual has not had sex because they are intolerably, hideously, repulsively unattractive. This is not the fault of the individual, and they are within their rights to complain about the shallow intolerance of society. Further, let us consider a situation where they employed the services of a sex worker (which is legal where I am). They are still within their rights to complain that they have to use a sex worker to lose their virginity because of society. That is, their complaint about being a virgin is valid.

Orientation
One could conceivably argue that, because homosexuals do not satisfy the given definition of intercourse, that they would not be considered to ever shed the 'virgin' label. Given this, an adult homosexual could complain about being a virgin because they wish for the definition to change; as the definition to an individual maybe relatively plastic, it might be the case that, for instance, two lesbian women would consider that they had lost their virginity to one another when they first engage in genital contact as opposed to exclusively manual/digital/oral sex. However, 'society' might not agree due to the traditional/formal definition.

Given the amount of hatred still exercised towards homosexuals, it is entirely reasonable for them to be angry about the definition excluding their sex lives as not being 'real sex', complain about being 'virgins', and request the formal definition be changed to accommodate them.

There are many reasons for an individual to complain about being a virgin; sex is an important aspect of human health, and those who cannot have sex for medical or other reasons are within their rights to complain about being a virgin, in the same way a person deprived of food is permitted to complain.

Over to you, best of luck!

_______

(1) [http://dictionary.reference.com...]
(2) [http://dictionary.reference.com...]
(3) [http://www.webmd.com...]
(4) [http://www.simplypsychology.org...]
apb4y

Pro

The argument is a negative, and obviously I cannot address every conceivable reason. It is unreasonable to assume I have burden of proof. Also, I'm too drunk right now.

Injury: Plastic surgery can rebuild genitals. Money is the only object.

Looks: It's nobody else's fault if they're too ugly to bone. Besides, nobody discounts hookers when establishing virginity. A lay is a lay, and those ugly bastards are lucky they even got a hooker.

Orientation: From what I've heard, homosexuals lose their virginity twice - same and opposite sex encounters are recorded on different scales. As you have previously established that this debate is subjective, it is entirely up to the individual what their definition of "virgin" is, provided they have contacted the genitals of another individual. If they are not satisfied with their loss of virginity, they have only themselves to blame.

I shouldn't be posting. I'm too drunk.
InnovativeEphemera

Con

Thank you for your round. Trust a Kiwi to be drunk on a Wednesday night ;)

Injury
Having little money, living in a developing country, having religious objections to blood transfusions or any other moral or practical limitations would prevent the reconstruction of a penis.

Looks/Aesthetics
This does not address my contention that it is reasonable for them to complain about it. What they do about the problem is another matter, and I would agree that prostitution may well be a viable option for them. With that being said, I maintain my contention that they have the right to complain.

Orientation
Your assumption is that all homosexuals have heterosexual experiences. Further, I have agreed with you on the topic of personal definition, however as addressed I have defined virginity in a certain way so as to maintain cohesive discussion. It is not possible for us to have this debate without agreeing on certain definitions. In light of the definitions presented, your argument is not cogent.

My opponent, as instigator, has not demonstrated that there are no reasons to complain about being a virgin.
Conversely, I have demonstrated that there are extenuating circumstances where an individual would be within their rights to complain about being a virgin.

Thank you for the debate, and next time you get drunk chuck us an invite.
Posted by PartTimeHipster 2 years ago
PartTimeHipster
I would accept the challenge... But I agree with the Instigator.
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
Might want to define "valid." That's pretty essential to this debate.
Vote Placed by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
apb4yInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although Pro didn't present very many arguments, the ones he did present were quite good. You CAN lose your virginity if you really wanted. Saying you're too ugly is not anyone else's reasoning for not sleeping with you - it's your problem for not trying to sleep with them. In a sense I agree with Pro, as anyone can lose their virginity if they REALLY wanted to, so there's no reason to complain if you won't try to as hard as you can, but then it is incredibly hard for some people to do so and they wouldn't want to spend thousands of dollars, or just can't afford to spend thousands of dollars.
Vote Placed by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
apb4yInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con successfully refuted everything that Pro sent his way, which wasn't much.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
apb4yInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro was too drunk as he himself said, and he could not post very strong arguments
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
apb4yInnovativeEphemeraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros case was succintly expressed. Con used a case study approach which effectively nullifies the resolution. All of Cons points were successfuly defended towards the end of the round. Thus arguments to Con.o