Capitalistslave
RileySchlick

There is too much hate for pedophiles and they should be treated with more respect

Capitalistslave

Capitalistslave

Pro

Definition:
Pedophilia: " a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children."[1]

A pedophile is thus someone who has that psychiatric disorder and is NOT necessarily someone who has sexually abused children. I believe most pedophiles do not do this.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Main argument
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Conclusion/state why you believe you won the debate

Con will be taking the side that pedophiles deserve the hate they get, and don't deserve more respect.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...
RileySchlick

Con

Alright lets do it, good luck
Capitalistslave

Pro

Pedophilia is a sexual attraction disorder. Like all sexual attractions, it is not something chosen. Sexual attraction develops from genetic, environmental, and prenatal factors, and most scientists agree that sexual orientation is not something chosen but sexual orientation identity is. [1] [2]

Therefore, pedophiles cannot be blamed for having an attraction to children. However, they are often viewed with disgust and malice even if they have never done anything wrong to children. For example, one disabled man wrongly thought to have been a pedophile in Brislington, England, was burned to death by their neighbors in 2013. [3] In addition, majority of pedophiles feel like they are cursed with this attraction, and in fact 76% of pedophiles suffer from Major Depression and 9% from minor depression, which most believe is likely due to having the pedophilic attraction. [3] Many pedophiles just want to die because they cannot stand having that attraction and understand it is wrong.

I will argue also that it is wrong to automatically assume a pedophile will be a child molester and it is wrong to assume all child molesters as pedophiles. In a comprehensive study of 3,952 people who reported that they molested a child, 35% were not pedophiles [4] which means it is safe to conclude that about 35% of people who molest children are not pedophiles. It is estimated that 1 to 5 percent of men identify as a pedophile [5]. There have been 1.8 million children who have been victims of sexual assault [6], let's just assume each one had a different perpetrator, but that's not usually the case. That would be 1.8 million child molesters. There are 151,781,326 men in the United States[7], since 1-5% are estimated to be pedophiles, that means 1,517,813-7,589,066 men are pedophiles. If we go back to the 1.8 million number, 35% of them(as shown previously) are not pedophiles. That means 1,170,000 are pedophiles. However, given that this assumes that it's one perpetrator per victim, this is very over-estimated. In this study, it was found that half of child molesting pedophiles repeat their offense [8] therefore that 1.1 million number can be cut in half to 550,000, which is still an over-estimate since we also need to take into account how many times the offenders repeated. Let's just use the 550,000 number for now. That means that out of the 1.5 to 7.5 million pedophiles in the US, 550,000 actually molest children. In other words, around 33% to as low as 7.3% of pedophiles even molest children, and again, that is an over-estimate.

Therefore, a vast majority of pedophiles do not even molest children, and I believe that the hatred for pedophiles that people have is therefore unfounded. Rather than directing the hate to the pedophile, it should be directed specifically to people who molest children; it is wrong to direct hate to people who have not necessarily done anything wrong, and majority of pedophiles do not do anything wrong.

For pedophiles, it is often not possible to seek therapy for their psychiatric disorder because of mandatory reporting laws, and the fact that many therapists do not want to or are not trained to help pedophiles with their disorder. [9] In addition, most may not even feel comfortable with telling someone about this, I know I wouldn't if I was a pedophile, because of the very negative stigma there is about pedophiles that almost everyone has in society.

How is a pedophile expected to seek help for their disorder when so many people demonize them before they've even molested any child?

I believe I have sufficiently argued my case and now turn this over to my opponent.

[1]http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...
[2] https://books.google.com...
[3] http://www.vice.com...
[4] http://www.childmolestationprevention.org... (see page 9)
[5] https://www.psychologytoday.com...
[6] https://www.nsopw.gov...
[7] http://www.census.gov...
[8] http://www.paedofiles.com...
[9] https://www.psychologytoday.com...
RileySchlick

Con

Great point! But, we don't judge pedophiles that don't act on their attraction to children, simply because we either don't know they're attracted to children (most pedophiles aren't open about their attraction to children) therefore the only people we judge is the sexual predators who do act on these feelings. We judge them because it is morally wrong, it breaks the law, and the kids they are affecting are helpless children who can't defend themselves.
Capitalistslave

Pro

Why do you suppose most pedophiles don't tell people? It's because people will judge them if they did.

I decided to ask a question on another website, Yahoo Answers to prove my point that coming out as a pedophile causes people to judge [1] One person thus far has said "this sounds like a question for the FBI" even though I didn't admit to molesting children, just that I merely am a pedophile. Please note that I'm not actually a pedophile, I just asked this question to make a point. I just recently asked the question, so there will probably be more hateful things said on the question.

Also, you've probably heard of cases where family completely shuns a homosexual offspring, just imagine how much worse they would treat a pedophile.

In addition, it's not always the case that the pedophile forces the child to have sex. In most cases, if children were considered the age of consent, they are essentially consenting to it by all means if they were just older. They're not being forced to it in most cases, and most child molesters do it only if the child is okay with it. [2] Some of them force it on the child, but most don't. I don't consider this as bad as someone who forces it on the child. I only brought this up since you said people are angry that they do it to "helpless children who can't defend themselves" but in most cases, the child agrees to it.

[1] https://answers.yahoo.com...
[2] http://www.paedofiles.com...
RileySchlick

Con

I'm saying that the only people being hated on is the child molesting pedophiles, we can't say whether a non molesting pedophile would be hated on because we don't know non molesting pedophiles. Also, most children that are molested do not consent whatsoever, or if they do, it's because they are tricked into it. Children are easily tricked into whatever their molester tells them, and, molesters know exactly how to trick these children because they do it all the time.
Capitalistslave

Pro

Alright, as I stated in the first round, this round is to be used for conclusion and reasons why you believe you won.

To conclude and summarize what I've said: Pedophilia is not a choice, thus we should not hate someone who didn't choose to have this attraction. There are examples of pedophiles being hated on, one instance of killing someone who was thought to be a pedophile(but no confirmed instance of child molestation occurred, and it wasn't possible to confirm they were a pedophile) and the comment TruthLoveAndGod put on this debate just proves even more there is hate for pedophiles(and not due to them acting on their attraction). And finally, while some pedophiles force it on children, most pedophiles only do stuff to children when they agree to the sexual activity.

I believe I won this debate because I provided examples of people hating on pedophiles who have not done anything to children, while my opponent ignored them and kept on insisting without any evidence of their own that pedophiles who have not done anything are not hated on. Then I provided reasoning on why pedophiles should not be hated on, while my opponent has not provided reasons why they should be hated. My sources are quite reliable, my opponent provided no sources.
RileySchlick

Con

Nobody knows pedophiles that don't act on their attraction to children because unless they have come out as non molesting pedophiles (which they for obvious reasons wouldn't do) there's no way for us to know. Therefore, pedophiles who don't molest children are not judged.

I won this debate because I proved that the only pedophiles we judge are those who molest children, which makes all of his other points irrelevant.
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
jeez....*is Not true, but is an exaggeration...*
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
I'm Not saying***
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
@capslave

you're horrifyingly wrong to believe that most children are not being forced , and most child molesters do it only if the child is okay with it. That is not true, it a rationalization of pedophilia. And while I don't doubt that kids can become sexual at a very young age and have the potential enjoy molestation, their feelings are only a result of being prematurely stimulated. Children will never initiate sexual behavior with adults unless they have already been exposed to sex by another adult. That's one of the worst things about molestation is the premature activation of sexuality in someone who is mentally and physically unprepared. And I'm saying all of this out of a desire to lecture or rant I'm saying it because what you believe is true is an exaggeration that could possible lead to rationalizations of molesting a child.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
Naruto_Usumaki: Yes but why do you think pedophiles don't open up about their attraction? I brought this up. It's because they will be judged, and as I pointed out, there are instances where pedophiles are opening up anonymously online, and judged harshly. Then there was that example I opened up with, where people somehow found out someone was a pedophile, and then burned them alive. The terrible thing is, he wasn't even a pedophile. Imagine what people would do to actual pedophiles.
Posted by Naruto_Usumaki 1 year ago
Naruto_Usumaki
I say Riley Won because hes provided that Pedophiles are unknown unless they act out in which they should be judge if they act.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
TruthLoveAndGod: thanks for proving my point. What kind of Christian(I assume you're Christian) says someone deserves to beaten up and falsely accuses people of molesting kids? I've never molested a kid. You're just like those people I brought up in my debate who falsely accused someone of being a pedophile and burned them to death. People like you need to take a long search of introspection.
Posted by TruthLoveAndGod 1 year ago
TruthLoveAndGod
If you said what you just said in your comment in real life to probably the majority of the population, you would probably be beaten to death as you should. You need help buddy and I hope dateline NBC gets you bagged up. If you feel comfortable enough to say what you just said and can't see anything wrong with it, then you clearly have a past of molesting kids and you need to be investigated.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
GrimlyF: As I said in my debate, a vast majority of pedophiles don't do anything to kids. They didn't choose to have the attraction. In addition, as I pointed out in my debate, not every child molester is a pedophile, 35% of them are not.
Posted by GrimlyF 1 year ago
GrimlyF
Would you leave a child alone with a wolf?. Of course not because you know the wolf is dangerous. How about the families pet dog?. Go on the 'net and check how many children are killed or mutilated by pets every year. Paedophiles are hated/feared because they are unknown as what they are until they act. Paedophilia is incurable and the only real way to stop known abusers is clinical castration. Paedophilia is a mental impulse just like hetro/homosexualality and is enacted for exactly the same reasons except it is illegal. Leaving aside the morality of it the abuser knows all the reasons that what he wants is wrong yet does it regardless. They abuse the most helpless in our society through choice not uncontrollable impulse. This is why they deserve no respect and no mercy. Because they choose to be what they are.
Vote Placed by Cat47 1 year ago
Cat47
CapitalistslaveRileySchlickTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con said he agreed with Pro. Pro also is the only own who showed any sort of evidence.
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
CapitalistslaveRileySchlickTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argues that it is immoral to hate pedophiles because their condition is not a choice. There is no refutation of this argument and Con even says he agree's with Pro in his first argument. Pro is also the only one to even use a source in the debate and for those reasons alone I can already vote pro in this debate. Pro also argues that because of who they are attracted too pedophiles, even those who would never molest, are hated. We know we shouldn't hate pedophiles who don't act on their sexuality so we know that there is currently too much hatred towards pedophiles.