ZachyDiz
gordonjames

There is/was intelligent life living in the universe besides humans

gordonjames

ZachyDiz

Pro

I believe that there is most definitely life in the universe besides humans. Just look at Mars. There is scientific proof that there was once water on Mars and that it once had an atmosphere surrounding it. I believe that a long time ago, maybe 50,000 years ago, there was once life being supported on Mars. There have also been many claims by notable people of proof of UFO's or strange objects being seen in the sky. Also, if you look at pictures you can notice that there is a whole lot of unexplained photos and evidence of objects on the moon. In addition, what would make you think that the only habitable planet in the whole entire, vast universe, or that there is a different type of species of life. Not all types of living things need to be configured like humans. There could be a completely different setup of the cells in these aliens that could allow them to withstand the pressures of space. Back to the point of the vast universe. People are so consumed in the fact that there is no other habitable planet or any other species of life, but they only have a small area of research to go on. NASA probes can only go so far into the universe to have enough fuel to make it back. What makes you think that in the other 99.9 percent of unexplored space does not contain a different planet or alien life. Who knows? There may be a whole galaxy that supports life, and not just one planet. This topic may seem absurd to some, but it is definitely a topic worth arguing. Many people may not agree with me, but I am most certain that at one point in the past, or at some place in the huge, unexplored universe, there was/is life other than human beings.
gordonjames

Con

PRO has the burden of proof as proving there is no life anywhere in the universe would require searching every location and finding no life there.

PRO states his belief that there was once life on mars.

This is an interesting belief, but our current exploration has found no evidence.

PRO asks "what would make you think that the only habitable planet in the whole entire, vast universe"

Currently, evidence! There is no evidence yet for life any where else.

I hope we find evidence in the future, but there is none yet.

PRO states "I am most certain that at one point in the past, or at some place in the huge, unexplored universe, there was/is life other than human beings."

There is no evidence.
ZachyDiz

Pro

ZachyDiz forfeited this round.
gordonjames

Con

gordonjames forfeited this round.
ZachyDiz

Pro

I understand that there is no evidence, but I'm going on beliefs and personal experiences. I know my argument title kind of asks for specific events and evidence, but I took my debate as arguing your beliefs. There has been one main evidence that there have been many arguments over, and it is one of the biggest alien conspiracies to date. That would be the Roswell incident. It just so happens that today is the 66th anniversary of the Roswell incident today. Many people argue over what was really found, a weather balloon, which the government says it was, or a flying saucer, like many eye witnesses say it was. I am going for the existence of aliens, now or at some point, during the worlds own existence. I know that there is not a lot of evidence, but I'm hoping that one day there will and the Roswell incident could hopefully prove for my case.
gordonjames

Con

One problem with discussions about extraterrestrial life has been clearly covered by the late Isaac Asimov. In reviewing books for Science Digest he offered his comments on one by I.S. Shklovskii and Carl Sagan (Intelligent Life in the Universe). In his review, Dr. Asimov said: “There are so many books on extraterrestrial life (I have written one myself) that they would almost seem to be a cottage industry. This is in a way surprising, since we have absolutely no evidence that any such phenomenon as life on other worlds exists” (1982, p. 36)

Asimov, Isaac (1982), “Book Reviews,” Science Digest, 90[3]:36, March. The book by I.S. Shklovskii and Carl Sagan, Intelligent Life in the Universe, was published by Holden-Day, New York, 1966.

Not only is there no evidence for ET, but the SETI program designed to find evidence has come up empty.

Robert Naeye wrote an article for Astronomy magazine titled “OK, Where Are They?” In his article, he commented: “If one chooses to shun speculation and stick solely with observations, one can ask the same question that Nobel physicist Enrico Fermi put forth in 1950: If the Galaxy is teeming with intelligent life, where are they? The sobering reality is that there is no observational evidence whatsoever for the existence of other intelligent beings anywhere in the universe. “

Naeye, Robert (1996), “OK, Where Are They?,” Astronomy, 24:42-43, July.

From http://www.apologeticspress.org...
Posted by giraffelover 4 years ago
giraffelover
No, there is no reason to believe God only created humans. However, the Bible never mentions any other beings being created besides angels, some of which chose to rebel and become demons.
Posted by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
@giraffelover

Your link to the "rare earth hypothesis" was really interesting.

I'm not sure there is a link between rare earth and intelligent design.

Assuming you are Christian, and that you are looking at some understanding of the Genesis account, there is no reason to think that God is limited to creating only one planet with life or intelligent life.
Posted by Elegant_kunta 4 years ago
Elegant_kunta
They have discovered earth like planets before as well as many other planets outside our solar system... about 20 light years away and we don't have near enough technology to get there. There might not be any evidence but who says the alien life would have to be intelligent life? And even if they were or were not intelligent life it does not have to be human like and does not have to be the grey type of ET alien either. Alien life just simply means not from this place.

The only way you would possibly get evidence, like solid evidence is if we could travel to those planets and we don't have the technology to even go there in the first place let alone put a test subject in there somewhere. So getting evidence for alien life is kind of futile (right now anyways) not saying its not entirely impossible, but we would have to have the technology to go explore other planets other than our solar system as there have been numerous planets found since then. So I wouldn't know how you would get evidence unless you are speaking of movies like invasion of the body snatchers or something, pardon me but I just don't understand, we are not as technology advanced as we think we are right now so I wouldn't know how you would go about getting "evidence.." :/

Just curious!!!!
Posted by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
When considering "Fermi's Paradox" (https://en.wikipedia.org...)
There are way too many possibly habitable planets, and still no evidence.
Posted by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
@Sower4GS

CS Lewis has a series of (fiction)books that postulate intelligent life on other planets. Earth is referred to as "the silent planet" because it had lost contact with the cosmos after the Fall.

I would encourage you to expand your view of scripture. As far as I can tell the scriptures do not address the question of extraterrestrial physical lifeforms. We are sure it includes angels, demons, watchers, holy ones, cherubim, seraphim and possibly more creatures we know little about. When I think about Jesus' response to Peter in John 21
"21 So Peter seeing him *said to Jesus, "Lord, and what about this man?" 22 Jesus *said to him, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!"" - John 21:21-22

It would not surprise me if God left us to explore the universe as an act of curiosity without telling us more than we need to know for faith and salvation.
Posted by Elegant_kunta 4 years ago
Elegant_kunta
I don't believe alien life existed on this planet but I believe it exists on other planets, we can see four earth like planets we just can't reach them, there has also been evidence of numerous solar systems. And because we don't know exactly how many as we can't reach them, there might be life on one of those.
Posted by Sower4GS 4 years ago
Sower4GS
HI!

Gen 1:26 And Elohim said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness,

There are no other accounts of the Creation of Intelligent life in Scripture, and if is not in scripture it is not inspired by YHWH.

That means anytime we try to make a decision of any kind and not base it on the Books from Genesis to Revelation we fail. Miserably.

Of course if you listen to me you might become enlightened, for I testify only of Scripture, so don't listen to me if you want to do Things YOUR way and not your Creator's, who is YHWH and One with the Messiah.

Have a nice Day!

Shalom.
Posted by giraffelover 4 years ago
giraffelover
I think the reason we don't see alien lie forms is because they don't exist. I believe Earth was created by intelligent design rather than chance. I'm not 100% sure, but there are many criteria for life.

Posted by dashy654 4 years ago
dashy654
"I understand that there is no evidence, but I'm going on beliefs and personal experiences. I know my argument title kind of asks for specific events and evidence, but I took my debate as arguing your beliefs." This is what you said... And it's almost exactly what I said. On a topic where you cannot prove it right or wrong, you can do nothing more than to provide information that are currently available (water on mars, UFOs, etc) and present it in a way that can convince the readers of your position. Thats basically what I said when the other person took the argument that there is no evidence of life on other planets and basically claimed it as a dead debate.

** You commented on my debate, and they're similar topics haha, good luck on your debate!
Posted by ZachyDiz 4 years ago
ZachyDiz
sorry i missed it too. Had a lot of errands to run.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 4 years ago
MassiveDump
ZachyDizgordonjamesTied
Reasons for voting decision: "I'm going on beliefs and personal experiences-"-and I'm waving goodbye to my credibility. Pro fought with an "in theory" mentality, while Con used real evidence to slap the "in theory" mentality right in the face.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
ZachyDizgordonjamesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof. He should have phrased or clarified the resolution to "it is more likely than not" to reduce the burden, but he made so he needed solid evidence, which he could not produce. Look up "Drake Equation" to see the probability argument. con had good expert sources denying flying sources, while Pro relied on his own beliefs. Both side forfeited, tying conduct penalty. hat left a two round debate, with Pro unable to adequately respond to Con.