There should be lass MATH in schools.

First round is acceptance.
Let the best 'man' win.

I will be taking the argument that there should be just as much as or more mathematics in schools today. I would like to ask my opponent to clarify what they mean by less (lass) math in schools today. This is a capacious definition.

Mathematics defined by refers to, "the systematic treatment of magnitude, relationships between figures and forms, and relations between quantities expressed symbolically." Was my opponent was referring to basic mathematics such as addition, multiplication, etc. Or were they referring to the broad terms such as algebra, geometry, calculus, etc?

I thank my opponent for the time in this debate, and viewers I extend my gratitude for observing and taking the time to read. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

First of all, I am sorry for the mistake I've made in the title, by LASS I ment LESS math.
I beg your pardon again.

As second, I'm referring to math in general as a subject for example in high schools.

I think it is totally unnecessary.
It has been 3 years since I'm going to high school and I have math 4 times a week, 6 hours a week.
I think school and educational system should provide more general subjects to kids, who sadly don't know ANYTHING about life itself. The new generations know nothing about wars, happened in past, marketing, politics,..
Kids don't even know who's the president of their country!

I'm okay with learning math. But seriously? Having 6 hours of math a per-week, and having only an hour of history, or only an hour of our native language OR foreign languages? I think that kind of sh*t is more important then kids learning how to draw circles and squares and calculating its volume or stuff like that.

I think we should really all agree on that.

Thank you for your clarification.

I can understand your frustration completely. In today's society, we are sadly becoming ignorant of the things that truly matter. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, but in an encouraging way. We need to be able to know the things that are important in life, such as you have suggested, marketing, politics, history, geography, and certainly the current president! Our generation doesn't pay attention to the things that really matter. As much as I have observed, the studies you have mentioned fall upon deaf ears. Those that do pay attention are probably doing it simply for the grade, and not the practicality of it.

I believe the reason our public education system focuses on mathematics is because the overall test scores in that area has dropped considerably in recent years. According to a study in 2011, the United States ranks kids as 32nd in the world in math proficiency! That's horrible! But my point is, the study of mathematics is crucially important to today's society. Algebra, for example, may not seem like much and we may question the purpose of it. Are you aware that it in fact prepares us for logical thinking? And that certainly is important. Without geometry, life would be pointless (pun intended). Architecture as we know it would be greatly different. You may not enter that field, but numerous other students will and that is the foundation on their career. Pre-Calculus and Calculus go in the study of change and they both have uses for future scientists. I could go on, but I don't think I need to.

In summary, mathematics, as well as social studies and foreign language are important, even though we may not see the overall purpose.

I am really glad we've reached an agreement
and that you know what I was referring to.

I think math is important, but do not deviate from my statement, that there should be LESS math, not any math at all in schools. The maths hours (at least 2) should be replaced with for example history or geography or any other subject, kids know nothing or very little about.

I don't think you understood my point,

Math as whole is important. This is the point I was trying to get across. I'll bring up again the point that United States schools are ranked 32nd in proficiency in the subject of mathematics. This is absolutely unacceptable and to eliminate even more math classes would seem to be illogical. How are we to learn and improve in this area if we have LESS math? I've already illustrated the point of how math is important as a life skill. I believe I've made my point clear.
Posted by Artpop 2 years ago
It was a freaking typing mistake. No lifer.
Posted by ClassicRobert 2 years ago
If you think there should be lass math, we should probably give you more language arts.
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argued mainly from emotion.
Vote Placed by Beverlee 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argues that we need to reduce the amount of math in schools in order to make more time for other subjects, and Con points out that math is a critical skill that needs the emphasis. Pro concedes most of this. I was surprised that Con did not counter that subjects other than math could also have been shortened to make room for the other subjects. Con used one supporting source.