Penrose_stairs
bcastgrrl

There should be no homework for secondary school / high school students

bcastgrrl has forfeited round #1.

Penrose_stairs

Con

I live in Asia where students have huge pressure of studying, and lots of schoolwork, but the result is rewarding.
If there is no homework, students will just go out and play every day or stay at home to play computer games instead of doing something good to them. They will only study when exams come soon and realised that they do not have enough practice to do well in exams.
There is a TV programme on BBC long time ago, which is called the school that turned Chinese. In the programme, some students are taught by Chinese teachers, using the Asia method of education, more homework and so on. They ended up getting much better results than the students who learn using the traditional western way, even in subjects like English.
I agree that too much homework will make students become too stressed, no time to do sports and keep fit, no time to spend with family and friends to enhance relationships, but homework is essential to make sure that students will not spend all their time on meaningless things.
Posted by Penrose_stairs 8 months ago
Penrose_stairs
I don't think students will love learning simply because there are no homework. They need good teachers or some people to inspire them to love learning.
Some schools claim to have no homework, but actually they just call it classwork instead, but it is impossible to finish all of them at school, so they ended up as homework.
If there is no homework, students will just play computer games or do sth else that does not really benefit them. Then it will be a waste of time.
Posted by missmedic 8 months ago
missmedic
Any freedom they have, I give them.
Posted by Penrose_stairs 8 months ago
Penrose_stairs
@missmedic
The time of your kids is theirs, not yours.
Posted by missmedic 8 months ago
missmedic
After school my kid is on my time, if the school fails to teach in the time allotted, they do not get to take my time from my kids. If you want to kill the love of learning, give homework.