EdwardBowman
Sheppie

There should be severe restrictions against selling lottery tickets online.

Started: 12/11/2014 Category: Games

EdwardBowman

Pro

Hello and welcome,

Recently, I have been on a short trip with a friend of mine, who really enjoys gambling. I wouldn't yet venture as far as to say he has a problem with it, suffice it to say that he really likes the thrill of betting small amounts of cash (at least that's what he claims) in hope for much greater money.

Back to the topic: The trip we went on wasn't long but it was outside of our country. I was therefore surprised to see that in a hotel room where we had free wi-fi he logged onto his computer and not only checked the recent lottery numbers but was, above all, able to buy the lottery ticket online with real money and put a bet. It seemed so easy and effortless I asked him whether I could do it and he explained that all that is need is to have an account and send them the money you wish to use in your bets. After that it is just choosing the lottery you want, having the necessary funds deducted from your account and hopefully R11; expecting winning.

My idea is therefore that since purchasing lottery tickets online is so easy, virtually everybody can do it, especially people not eligible to do so, such as teenagers. I would therefore argue that more severe restrictions be implemented.

What do you think?
Sheppie

Con

Edward, I think that you are overreacting a little bit. Everyone has a right to have a hobby, something that pleases them (as long as it is not harmful to anybody else). Restrictions? Why? You can't play if you have no money - that a restriction enough. So what that teenagers have easy access to it or irresponsible people. That is a nice way to teach them some responsibility. You have money, you bet, you lose, you don't have money and it's nobody's fault but yours if you can't pay your bills afterwards. See - lesson learned.

If you make access to such online games and lotteries more restricted there will be more cheating and more hacking and illegal gaming. Right now it is as simple as I mentioned before: you have the money - you play; you don't have the money - no gaming for you. Why complicate things? Besides the way you can get access to or buy tickets or participate in gaming is safe and legal. There are no hidden agendas. For example, look here: http://www.lotteryoffice.com...
Those guys sell tickets but they have great safeguards and are reliable. Is there something unclear about their rules and conditions? No! SAFE.

If someone has a problem with gambling and spends time in casinos both in real world and the virtual one, instead of sightseeing while on a vacation - just plays online then I would dare to say that the particular person has a serious issues with addiction which has nothing to do with easy access. Implement restrictions and addicts will find a way to discover illegal gambling and that's a scenario for tragedy.

So no Edward: no restrictions are needed just more brains for people.
EdwardBowman

Pro

EdwardBowman forfeited this round.
Sheppie

Con

Aha...well it's kinda quiet you know? But I am gonna be a peach and give you a rain check. C'mon Edward I know you can do it!
EdwardBowman

Pro

Hi Sheppie,

Sorry for forfeiting the second round - I failed to reach the computer on time.

Anyhow, back to the argument - You mentioned 'brains' but unfortunately, many people lack this simple thing. I do not really see your point. True, some of the websites which offer secure ways of obtaining lottery tickets or even making bets do have great security measures - I can give them that. But even so, don't you think that the problem still exists even despite that? After all, let's forget my friend for a moment and take children into consideration - I believe it would be very easy for a teenager to spy on a parent and learn all the necessary codes / passwords / whatever to be able to log onto the site and burn some cash on the tickets...What happens next if the child doesn't win yet the money on the tickets is gone? More interestingly, what happens if the child does win? I an already imagine lawsuits and newspapers headlines talking over and over about the security measures of lottery websites. I am just making a point here before something bad happens.

As such - I still believe some changes should be introduced if procuring lottery tickets is so easy but I am open for more debating if we have time and inclination ;)
Sheppie

Con

I understand what you're saying but that was - again - a little overreaction on your side. The fact that someone has no brain is not exactly fault of person who has brain and knows how to use it. Why do you want to complicate things for those who are wise and not reckless? Besides, n-brain can find their way to lose money anyways. You want to make boundaries and difficulties for the smart ones to keep jerks away? Really?

Edd, you also mentioned children. Isn't bringing them up correctly parents job? Keep your credit cards and their data away or even better, teach your child responsibility! Tell them that money don't grow on trees. If however that child or teenager still defrauds parents' cash then they have to face the consequences. It's really that simple.