Plato85
Rosalie

There should naturally be a gender pay gap

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
01day16hours38minutes23seconds
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Voting Period

Plato85

Pro

There should be a gender pay gap because men are naturally more career driven than women.

Men are by nature more career driven because they're more responsible to provide for a family. Men should naturally compete to have the best job because women are naturally attracted to men who can provide for a family.

A woman's career is not nearly as important to a man as the woman's health because men are naturally more attracted to fertile woman who can raise a family.

Women are by nature more nurturing because they're more responsible to look after the young. If a woman is raising a family it does interrupt their career to some extent.
Rosalie

Con

Thank you Plato85 for challenging me to this debate! I look forward to it.

Before we begin, we need to establish some definitions. Because Pro hasn't done so, I will merely provide the definition of "Gender Pay Gap".

I will also present my argument now, because no structure was given.

[1] The gender pay gap (also known as gender wage gap, male–female income difference, gender gap in earnings, gender earnings gap, gender income difference) is the difference between male and female earnings expressed as a percentage of male earnings, according to the OECD. (WIKI)

Next, my opponent states that there "should" be a gender wage. By this, we can assume he believes there is no gap at all. He must prove this.

My opponent then states "A woman's career is not nearly as important to a man as the woman's health because men are naturally more attracted to fertile woman who can raise a family"

He must prove that a women's career is not important, and he must also prove that a man is more superior, because this is simply what he arguing. He must also argue and prove that men are more attracted to "fertile women who can raise a family."

Next, I will present my argument. By the resolution, my opponent will be arguing that there SHOULD be gender gap. I will be arguing there is a gap, but this is because of contributing factors

I must prove that women make less money, then men, because of the fields they chose to work in. I will not be arguing inequality, or sexism, but just the fact that women are paid less (sometimes for the same job) because they work less hours, than men.

In 2015, a study had found that women make .77cents less to the dollar, than men. A Harvard professor responded to this statistic, by saying [1] “"That is possibly the case in certain places, but by and large it's not that, it's something else." That "something else," is choice — in the careers that women take, the hours they work and the time off they take.

It is a fact that women get paid less, due to choices in the workforce, and what jobs they decide to take. So, what are some of these reasons why, women make less?

Women in the workforce are less likely to work full time, compared to men.

The graph below demonstrates the amount of men, and women, who work full time, it is clear that more men chose to work full time, compared to women working full time. Even if a man and women work in the same field, if a woman chooses to work part time, she will earn less.

We can also see that it is more common for women to choose part time jobs, compared to men.

Part time, and full time workers by gender (C:\Users\User\Pictures\time-spent-working-by-full-and-part-time-status-gender-and-location-in-2014.svg)
2]

Your salary depends are you major.

It should also be known, than women get paid less, because men chose to work in more dangerous and hazardous fields. They also chose jobs that require continuous physical activity.

Here is a list of the most male dominated majors.

[3]

Petroleum Mining and Mineral Engineering: 90%

Mining and Mineral engineering: 90% male

Chemical Engineering: 72% male

Now, here is a list of women dominated majors.

Early Childhood Education: 97% female

Social Work: 88% female

Communication Disorders Sciences and Services: 94% female

[3] Now, let’s take a look at how much a chemical engineer makes, annually. According to Wiki, “Median salary: $96,940 USD (2014)”

[4] Now, let’s see how much a social worker makes, annually. According to Occupational Lookout, “The median annual wage for social workers is $44,200”

That is a $52,740 difference, in annual salary.

As we can see, it is statistically proven, that men chose to work more dangerous, and hazardous jobs, than women. This is why men earn more, than women.

According to the definition I have provided “The gender pay gap (also known as gender wage gap, male–female income difference, gender gap in earnings, gender earnings gap, gender income difference) is the difference between male and female earnings.”

I have simply proven, with facts, that there is indeed a wage gap, because there a income difference between the 2 genders, due to my arguments above.

I look forward to your argument. ;)

[1] http://www.washingtonexaminer.com......

[2] http://www.bls.gov......

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org......

[4] http://www.bls.gov......

Plato85

Pro

'Next, my opponent states that there "should" be a gender wage. By this, we can assume he believes there is no gap at all. He must prove this. "

Hmmm no, I'm arguing that a gender wage gap is just. I think you leaped to a conclusion. I agree that there is a wage gap.
Rosalie

Con

Should : 1.used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions:
http://www.bing.com...

By the resolution, my opponent is arguing that there should be a wage gap. His argument is merely I quote "A woman's career is not nearly as important to a man as the woman's health because men are naturally more attracted to fertile woman who can raise a family"

Yet, he has not proved to us that a man's job is more important than a woman's job.

My opponent failed to rebut any of my arguments. Maybe he can redeem himself in the next round.
Plato85

Pro

'Should' was qualified with naturally. You can decontruct anything, but it won't help you understand what anyone's talking about, or what they mean.

Women by nature give birth and raise the young. That's why a woman's health is so important. That's why women's nipples lactate and mens don't. It's difficult to look after a child and provide for that child at the same time time. Children need constant attention. That's why it's natural that the man is responsible to provide for the family.
Rosalie

Con

My opponent has failed to address any if my arguments posted in round 1.

He has done nothing but state his own opinion, and claim it to be right, without giving us proof.

Vote Con.
Posted by Rosalie 1 week ago
Rosalie
For some reason, the editing came out weird. Sorry for that.
Vote Placed by EXOPrimal 21 hours ago
EXOPrimal
Plato85RosalieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro lacks any sources, and fails to rebut any of con's arguments.