fishinbub
tvellalott

There was no natural origin of the universe

fishinbub

Pro

Resolution states: There was no natural origin of the universe.

For the purpose of this debate, we will accept the natural laws of science as fact. I will be supporting the argument that the origin of the universe was not natural, I.E. a creationist viewpoint. Con will be arguing the origin of the universe was in fact natural, with no divine intervention. Please refrain from any personal attacks, name calling, or foul language. Let's make this a good, civil debate.
tvellalott

Con

fishinbub

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate. I think this will be a lot of fun.

Contention 1: The Law of Conservation of Mass states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. Because matter and energy cannot be created, the matter and energy present in the universe cannot have a natural origin.

Contention 2: The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that entropy increases over time, and that the amount of usable energy in the universe is deteriorating over time. Simply put, energy travels from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. Because energy cannot travel against the gradient, it is impossible for energy to become more concentrated. Because energy cannot become more concentrated, it must be concluded that concentrated energy is a product of super natural forces.

Contention 3: Science is the study of the natural world. Because God is a supernatural being, and creation is a super natural event, it does not fall into the realm of science. Therefore scientific, or natural laws, do no apply.

We see that the creation of matter, the creation of energy, and the concentration of energy are impossible according to scientific law. Because only the supernatural world falls outside the realm of science, it must be concluded that the creation of matter, creation of energy, or the concentration of energy is a supernatural event.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
fishinbub

Pro

Well...that's a shame.
tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Posted by fishinbub 5 years ago
fishinbub
No votes? Surely a concession can't go down as a tie...
Posted by fishinbub 5 years ago
fishinbub
No worries. Just wanted to point that out, because I do have a background in science...
Posted by Buddamoose 5 years ago
Buddamoose
ahhh i see, my mistake
Posted by fishinbub 5 years ago
fishinbub
Why do you think I said "assume" for the purpose of this debate?
Posted by Buddamoose 5 years ago
Buddamoose
"We will assume the natural laws of science are fact."

Spoken like one with no scientific background lol. Even Newton realized his laws were fallible :P
Posted by Greenwolfdebates 5 years ago
Greenwolfdebates
I wish I could argue pro for this, sounds fun