Homeslice
Slama

These forums can and should be greatly improved upon

Homeslice

Homeslice

Pro

I will be using this section to state what this debate will be about and ask my opponent whoever it may be simply accepts the debate in their first round.

I am not sure if I will get any takers for this debate, but because this is my first debate, I wanted to debate about something rather laid back and easy to discuss in order for me to get a better idea of how this works.

I don't care who my opponent is, although I've never debated before, this subject shouldn't be too difficult for me. I have been on different forums before and am aware of a lot of features that forums can have. I just ask that people bear with me as this is my first debate.

I am for the fact that the forums can be greatly improved upon and the con is against this, either they like it the way it is or whatever they want to argue.

I hope I covered everything, I expect this to be a fun rather than serious debate.

The rounds should not be that long so I am making the time to do your round 24 hours rather than 2 or 3 days.

I am hoping to get good feedback from this that I can use in future debates!

Thanks.
Slama

Con

I accept!

This will also be my first debate, and I am also well-versed in various types on online forums.

I await your ideas for improvement, this will be fun.
Homeslice

Pro

I would like to thank Con for accepting and look forward to a good debate.

These forums can be vastly improved upon. The activity of these forums isn't that great, although I know this forum has a great deal of loyal users that view this site on a daily basis. Just knowing that the site has 4,000 + likes on Facebook is enough to know the amount of activity and fun to be had on these forums. In order to the full potential activity to be reached, these forums need to be updated. Next, I will list some updates that the forums could use and I will give a sentence or two about each update. I know some of these updates may be hard to do, but they are not impossible by any means, as long as someone is willing to put in the time to make these updates possible.

- Reply Section at the bottom of a page on any given thread
- "Who Quoted Me?" feature
- "New Posts" feature
- Better color scheme
- Ability to edit and delete your own threads/posts
- List of users currently online

Reply Section at bottom of a page: This is useful because users will not have to click the "Add Post" button when they wish to reply to a thread. After they are finished reading the posts on a thread, they will most likely be at the bottom of the page. In this case, the Reply Section will be there waiting for them. Its basically just removing the inconvenience of having to click the new post button.

Who Quoted Me Feature: This is useful for when someone "quotes" one of your posts. You should get an alert whenever someone quotes you so that you can immediately know that you should at least look at what this person posts and likely reply to this post. Very useful for keeping up with the threads you've posted on.

New Posts Feature: This is basically a feature which is a link somewhere at the top of the website that allows a user to see all the posts that they have not viewed yet. When a user looks at one of these posts, it will be removed from their New Posts" link. This is another useful tool for keeping up with posts that you have not seen yet.

Better Color Scheme: Simply make the white color theme of the forums darker. Easier on the eyes and more appealing to look at.

Ability to Edit/Delete Your Posts/Threads: This is self explanatory. Very convenient in the case of making an error on a post or just not wishing to have that post be seen by anyone any longer.

List of Current Users Online: Another simple thing that just makes things more enjoyable. Allows users to see who is online.

I again thank Con for accepting the debate and I look forward to their argument.
Slama

Con

You make a strong case, and I thank you for your ideas.

I must agree that quick-reply would be a definite enhancement to high quality users, reducing the barriers to posting. However, this also make it less effort for trolls and more people are likely to add low quality posts that contribute nothing productive to the conversation. Someone with a valid, constructive point is usually not deterred by an extra button.

A who quoted me feature would certainly be nice, and I have no objections to this.

The color scheme is fine as is. A dark background with light text hinders long term readability for some users.
See the post here: http://blog.tatham.oddie.com.au...
If you use the computer late at night, consider installing F.lux (http://justgetflux.com...) to tint your screen.

While editing works nicely on other forums, it could be used to change text that members disagreed with in later posts in attempt to discredit them. The posts should remain as posted to prevent confusion caused by members changing their stance after replies have been posted. The debates section does not allow you to edit your arguments because of this. The solution is multiple rounds, or multiple posts in the case of the forums.

A list of currently online users serves no real purpose and causes unnecessary server work. Generating a list of users requires monitoring all activity in a list and refreshing it every time a page is loaded that contains the list.
Homeslice

Pro

You say that the quick reply will allow trolls to make more useless posts, but wouldn't this also mean that productive members of the community can also make posts quicker? If activity is the goal, than the quick reply feature would be a benefit to the forums.

The color scheme may be more of an opinion thing, rather than one color is better than another, but if this is the case, the forums should at least allow individual users to choose for themselves between multiple skins. This will make it easier for everyone to have the forum look the way they want it too.

I agree that there shouldn't be editing in debates, but this doesn't mean there shouldn't be editing on posts. If someone wants to change what they posted, they should be able to. If someone quotes them before they edit their posts, then if they said something that others disagreed with then it will remain on the thread.

I agree that the Currently online feature will cause server work, but I wouldn;t say it is unnecessary. A list of users at the bottom of the page allows users to easily add members to their friends list, and know who the more active members of the community are.

If we want the forums improved, things that require more server work are going to have to be done. Although this make take time and slow down the servers, this will be best for the forums.
Slama

Con

Slama forfeited this round.
Homeslice

Pro

I thank my opponent again, I really did enjoy this debate.

The bottom line is that adding all of these things to the forum will improve forum and debate activity. Although they would call for more server work, they would do more good than harm. All of the features I said would make participating in the forums more fun, rewarding, and easier.

Slama

Con

Slama forfeited this round.
Posted by Homeslice 4 years ago
Homeslice
Its okay, I understand. My fault for making response time only 24 hours. You can still make your final arguments so it shouldnt be a problem.
Posted by Slama 4 years ago
Slama
I am terribly sorry for missing round three, however family holidays take precedence over the internet.
Posted by TheAntidoter 4 years ago
TheAntidoter
Dang, con could turn this around with a bit of work.
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
Nigh-everything CAN be greatly improved upon. You should give WHAT improvements you seek.
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
HomesliceSlamaTied
Reasons for voting decision: cON. f.f. , & SEMI CONCEDED WITH "A who quoted me feature would certainly be nice, and I have no objections to this."
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
HomesliceSlamaTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by Cobo 4 years ago
Cobo
HomesliceSlamaTied