Nismo69
Brock_Meyer

They should make another V-For Vendetta Movie...

Brock_Meyer

Nismo69

Pro

They should make another V-For Vendetta Movie because that movie was so good probably one the best I've ever seen it is my favorite of all time and here's why. It basically represents everything that I agree with and stand for, that a government should not try to control their people, but the people should have full control of how the government governs things and the only way to deal with people that disagree with that statement should be blown up ha-ha that has got to be the coolest way to negotiate a revolt. Now before anyone says anything negative in a sense that blowing up a government building is an act of terrorism I agree with that although V did it for a probable cause his country was basically being held captive by laws and government officials that had an unfair advantage in powers among other citizens (There are no such issues in the world which is why this was a movie based on fictional events. DO NOT COMPARE THIS TO REAL ISSUES OR REAL ACTS OF TERRORISM, Because I do not in anyway shape or form agree or condone acts of terrorism as an acceptable means to deal with political or governmental issues.) but in the movie it fits for the purpose. Additionally to the political views of the movie and now turning away from that topic, the more enjoyable aspects of the movie to me was the action I can not get enough of slow motion fight scenes of some heroic figure kicking the living crap of some huge group of bad guys which is why I also like the movies "The Matrix Trilogy" and "The Spirit" and "Gladiator" these movies were all amazing. But back to my point, I realize that V-For Vendetta was one story and is considered a finished story but I just felt that I got left hanging, like it got cut short, like more could have been to that story to stretch it out... I mean did we really ever to get to see the results of V's actions? We were basically left to assume that his actions were successful, and what about the girl what did she go on to do did she leave the country or did she stay and just go back to a normal life? And what kinda of government did they initiate after the fall of Parliament? These are all questions that we never got the answer to. I feel that a little more explanation we needed at the end or maybe... they left it open on purpose some secrets may not have been revealed on the first movie that can be continued in the possibility of a sequel. I know this much, there's no chance of a prequel cause the beginning of the movie depicted how his ideas and views all began. But I still believe that the story could be continued cause even V said that you cannot kill an idea so my guess that either the girl will take on the task or continuing V path of justice or maybe a son of her that was not known of because who knows while V had her in his prison and he was torturing her to cause her to loose her fear maybe he had sex with her and planted a seed that would be cool even though it may have been kinda harsh of him to do that her but it did work. Or maybe the people that agreed with him (some of his followers) could continue the story. Either way I think the story can be revived and continued and it needs to be cause I want more...I didn't get enough of V-For Vendetta and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. If you agree thank you for liking my debate if you disagree give me some reasons why they should not make sequel to this amazing movie. Thanks again for reading and good luck to my opponent!; )
Brock_Meyer

Con

The resolution stands that "they" should make another "V for Vendetta" film.

I shall argue from the con position, saying that "they" should not make another "V for Vendetta" film. By "they", I am assuming my opponent refers to the community of filmmakers and studios who are capable of producing a big-budget film and marketing it to a large audience. Moreover, by producing "another" sort of these films, I am assuming my opponent refers to the plot, characters, themes, and settings of the "V for Vendetta" film released in 2005, such that a second film of this kind might be aptly named "V for Vendetta 2". I shall look at my opponent's contentions and then offer my own line of reasoning against the resolution.

From what I can tell, my opponent offers the following contentions to support his position: (1) the "V for Vendetta" film was good; (2) the story left its audience hanging at the end; and (3) the film, and a possible sequel, have political relevance to current events.

For contention (1), the notion that the original film was aesthetically pleasing has little bearing on whether a sequel should be produced. There is absolutely no guarantee that sequels can even come close to matching the quality of their predecessors, looking at a contemporary history of filmmaking in Hollywood. In fact, history shows that great single-film franchises often set too high of expectations for their sequels to match, and the sequels suffer from this. Each film is to be looked critically upon by itself and not by its place in a sequence of films. That being said, just because "V for Vendetta" was good does not mean a sequel that answers your questions will either (a) answer your questions in a satisfactory way, or (b) be entertaining or as insightful as its predecessor.

For contention (2), if the story left its audience with some questions, that is perhaps because the writers (the Wachowski brothers, who of course know how to write great films) left it to the audience to think about. Every great piece of literature or film leaves its audience to question or imagine what takes place after the events portrayed. This is a key element to making people remember the film long after they have seen it. If these questions were answered either at the end of the film or in a subsequent film, people will forget the project or see it as irrelevant to current events. In fact, a major goal of the Wachowski brothers in screenwriting the project was to make it more relevant to a 2006 audience, removing elements of anarchism from the script(1). If we see the post-V for Vendetta world, we cannot apply the things we learned from the V for Vendetta world to our own, and the film looses relevance, which leads into my next point.

For contention (3), the principles above still apply. If a sequel is produced, we lose the impact that V for Vendetta had on a popular audience. Instead of comparing Chancellor Sutler with George W. Bush, we instead see Chancellor Sutler as an unreal character. "V for Vendetta" made for such a great story because it drove two things together: an activist working for sociopolitical change, and an activist working for a personal vendetta. The ending of the film resolves both conflicts. A sequel, then, would be nothing more than a deus ex machina for the first film, which many sequels fall victim to. The conflict of a second film, with all of the conflicts from the first resolved, would likely be arbitrary and irrelevant to the first. Sequels should only be produced for films that leave plot conflicts open. "V for Vendetta" was not constructed like "The Matrix", where conflicts still required resolution.

And just a side note, I find it interesting that "V for Vendetta" "basically represents everything that [you] agree with and stand for", when you identify yourself as an Obama Democrat, an administration that promises to increase the size of government and its influence in the American economy by printing and pumping paper. I would recommend checking your premises.

Now, I shall move to some of my arguments against producing a "V for Vendetta" sequel.

My primary argument is that "V for Vendetta" was based very strictly on a very successful and very intelligent comic series that I personally enjoyed much more than the film. The film actually covered all 10 parts of the comic series, and while leaving very important parts of the story out, completes the saga of V before its finish. A sequel would be yet another betrayal of the comic series.

My second quip with a sequel to the film is that the sequel would most likely be a direct-to-DVD title, with probably none of the original cast and crew involved. This means a very low-quality, low-budget film that no one will enjoy in the slightest. It will be purely a moneymaking endeavor for the studio, and not for unimaginative fans that want answers to seemingly provocative questions. If I could, I would recommend reading the book. Unfortunately, the comic book franchise does not have more than one story. It is a single graphic novel, adapted by the brilliant Wachowski brothers, to screen. To create a sequel, the studio would hire some hack screenwriter to concoct some god-awful story that no one cares about.

In closing, my argument boils down to this: a "V for Vendetta" sequel would neither be a quality addition to a decent film nor satisfying to its audience. It would butcher the comic series even more, and ultimately leave a black mark on the first film. If the film did not quite answer all of your questions, I suggest you read the graphic novel for more insight into the plot and characters that the film represented one-dimensionally.

By the way, in 2006 there was indication that Warner Brothers might attempt a second film(2).

---------

(1) = http://en.wikipedia.org...
(2) = http://www.darkhorizons.com...
Nismo69

Pro

My only responce is this...You expect me to believe that you (nor anybody else for that matter) would like to see another V-For Vendetter Movie? I agree with you that it would only further ruin the story if they were to continue with the same or relative characters like the girl or a child of V's. But how about this...why can't they create a story of a follower of V's that also lives his life for an idea and serving justice along the way. Just the heroic aspect of the initial movie is what I believe made it so great, so they could easily create another movie similar to that regardless of who the characters are just as long as the main tie to the initial movie remains in tact as the main character that somehow generates from influence of V is how the story will be told. Which does not necessarily have to continue V's story but just a story similar of someone who does the same as V did. I think that would be an acceptable sequel. This is my deffence to the responce my opponent made. Waiting for the next round...
Brock_Meyer

Con

"You expect me to believe that you (nor anybody else for that matter) would like to see another V-For Vendetta Movie?"

If a sequel would ruin the story, then obviously no one would like to see another "V for Vendetta" film made. I mean that quite literally: no one would see it.

"why can't they create a story of a follower of V's that also lives his life for an idea and serving justice along the way."

If that's the case, I don't see (1) how such a film would be related enough to "V for Vendetta" that it would warrant being called a "second" film in the franchise (considering the "V" in "V for Vendetta" no longer exists, or (2) why the character of V would be necessary at all, considering that plot element could be established very easily in any decently-written film. No film should presuppose an audience has seen another film, and that applies in this case.

"Just the heroic aspect of the initial movie is what I believe made it so great, so they could easily create another movie similar to that regardless of who the characters are..."

I doubt this claim. The thing is this: great stories with "heroic aspects" have been written throughout humankind's history without the characters from "V for Vendetta". A great film does not need to leech characters from another one in order to be appreciated for what it is worth. If a filmmaker tries to make a sequel to the film, using different characters from the original film, the result will seem contrived and arbitrary. It would be a sore disappointment to the many fans of "V for Vendetta", and only work to lessen the appreciation that many have for the original film's great themes. This has been seen repeatedly when Hollywood studios follow blockbuster, well-made films with direct-to-DVD sequels that no one sees or much less likes.

"Which does not necessarily have to continue V's story but just a story similar of someone who does the same as V did."

As I said, a good screenwriter can easily make a film of equal or greater quality than "V for Vendetta" with all of the great themes and symbols of that film without the use of these characters. There is no need to make explicit mention of V as a predecessor of a protagonist in a great film with "heroic aspects" and a theme of freedom from tyranny.
Nismo69

Pro

I miss Evy Ha-ha!!! I want more of her...hey ya Evy = ee v (which contains V and sounds like V) holy crap I think I'm on to something!!! Evy will continue the V-For Vendetta story...yup I'm sure of it. End of debate I win!!! Um ya that's my last and final effort for standing by my initial statement for whatever its worth...Let the best man win(me lol).

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
Brock_Meyer

Con

Closing statement: The making of a second "V for Vendetta" film is entirely unnecessary. It will be completely horrible without any of the characters from the previous film or any relevance to the original plot. Attempting to make a sequel to such a film would demonstrate one more time that Hollywood has no creative ability. Any half-decent screenwriter can easily develop a script for a film that emphasizes many of the same themes that "V for Vendetta" looks at, but with original characters, plots, and settings.

In sum, I have demonstrated why they should not make another "V for Vendetta" film. My opponent, however, has produced nothing but senseless opinions. Vote Con.
Posted by Effector_Dhanushanth 4 years ago
Effector_Dhanushanth
Quite frankly, a sequel will ruin anything and everything. The fame that "V" earned will be ruptured thus destroying the foundation, the concept, the plot (and more) of the story. Any story for that matter is best left with no continuation. Creating sequels sets rigid markers on imagination, thus giving rise to disappointment and dissatisfaction. Leaving a movie at its root, as the sole movie ever made on that particular concept blurs the contours of the "Imagination mechanism" (the prime intent of modern Cinema), thus giving rise to an Infinite number of inferences derivations conclusions and hence inspiration. movies are all about box-office. the more a movie is prone to a curtail in imagination the lesser the rank. i.e. num. of sequels is inversely proportional to rank. There were however important exceptions. Matrix for example was highly regarded "much awaited" in its continuation but that was mainly due to (unquestionably) its innovative and fascinating "Time Sculpture" or "Bullet time) Visual effect. While "V" was particularlyinnovative in its Screenplay, the Historical plot would have only led to a downfall of its very Roots if a continuation was attempted. That is not to say that a continuation is "not" possible, but only because a general rule of thumb for any great Screenplay is to not violate the levels of Imagination an Audience is prone to as a result of it. Perhaps you will observe how certain movies in History had great success and how a sequel was never heard of them (even if anticipated by the majority) - also how the image of certain movies was destroyed because of the sequels that ensued. Here, I will not cite movies, because, for the same reason, I want you to look at sequels and decide for yourself. That way your idea is will be further reinforced by subjective accurate reasoning.
Posted by Iamnotabug 7 years ago
Iamnotabug
"The Matrix Trilogy" and "The Spirit" and "Gladiator" these movies were all amazing."

(1)Using this as a proof is very redundant. As well using "The Spirit" as a comparison for something that is great has to be the most unlikely happening possible due to it's poor reviews and overall terrible presentation. The Spirit lacked a sensible plot, very pointless interludes and a lack of consistent atmosphere... but I digress.

(2) The only fraction of a chance that Wachowski brothers would have at making a movie about V again, would be about the twenty year gap between his escape from Larkhill Detention center and the destruction of the Old Bailey (Which was the biggest dissapointment to readers of the book due to it's lack of the "Lady Liberty Speech"). There is a scene when Finch and Dominic are looking over numerous people who worked at Larkhill who were killed by V in the past. A story following V after his escape, his stealing of the items for The Shadow Gallery, and his murder of all the others on the list could contain enough content to provide a director with a script.

(3) Despite all the information given in the above statement (2) the writer of the book Alan Moore still owns the rights to any and all V for Vendetta franchise. This in means that they would need his permission to do anything related to the novel at all due to copyright infringement. Therefore a sequal is very unlikely, because Alan Moore is unlikely to write any more novels continuing the story.
Posted by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
Simple.

Either base it on V's successor or explain how V never actually died.

Though to be honest, I don't believe another film needs to be made. The ending to the first film wrapped every loose end up nicely. A second movie would be a waste of time.
Posted by theitalianstallion 7 years ago
theitalianstallion
V for Vendetta is based on a graphic novel if I'm not mistaken, so if the writer of the graphic novel comes out with another V for Vendetta story, I say go for it.

With that said, V dies at the end, so how do they plan to make another film without the title character in the lineup?
Posted by DeadLeaves93 7 years ago
DeadLeaves93
Learn to use paragraph formatting >.>
Posted by Nismo69 7 years ago
Nismo69
Stop being a coward and fight me! LOL
or better yet...
You can't handle the truth!!!...
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Giant wall of text...

Aaaaaaaah!

*runs*
Vote Placed by Iamnotabug 7 years ago
Iamnotabug
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied
Vote Placed by Nismo69 7 years ago
Nismo69
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied
Vote Placed by Conor 7 years ago
Conor
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied
Vote Placed by gonovice 7 years ago
gonovice
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied
Vote Placed by Brock_Meyer 7 years ago
Brock_Meyer
Nismo69Brock_MeyerTied