lauren.delrus
Machrineith

Thigh-gaps

Machrineith
Started: 10/14/2015 Category: Fashion

lauren.delrus

Con

So my argument is about why is a thigh-gap considered pretty. I honestly don't really want to argue about what is pretty to some and not to others; I just want to know why some people think it's pretty and why some people don't. I personally don't think they are pretty or healthy-looking for that matter, and I would never be able to achieve the thigh-gap, because I have a very athletic build.
Machrineith

Pro

Hello, and thank you for posting this debate. I will first start by winning this debate; examining Con's opening statement of "my argument is about why is a thigh-gap considered pretty," the audience will realize immediate that Con didn't take a position and does not have a cohesive argument. My action of accepting this argument and taking a position of "thigh gaps can be considered attractive to some" immediately validates my victory as there is no opposition in this argument. However, Con has also set forth another victory condition for me by stating "I just want to know why some people think it's pretty and why some people don't" making the implication that being able to answer this question will ultimately result in Con conceding their 'argument' altogether.

I will begin by answering their question of wanting to know why some individuals think thigh gaps are pretty and why some people do not. Con has already helped me answer the latter question in stating that they "personally don't think they are pretty or healthy-looking for that matter." There is a reasonable belief that Con is a member of the human population, so their opinion is a sufficient representation of why some people do not think thigh gaps are pretty. As for why people do, I will list some potential reasons on why an individual may think they are attractive. When an individual has a thigh gap (in this case, I will be speaking in regards to female thigh gaps), the individual's legs are more distinguishable as unique components of their body. Provided at the end of this argument, the audience will find my Google search of 'are men attracted to female legs?' and within the very first page are several links in which individuals state that they (or others) find female legs attractive. Therefore, having a thigh gap that provides more visible legs is one such reason why one might think a thigh gap is pretty.

Con cannot contest my argument since there is only one round; this further solidifies the validity with my argument. I would like to thank the Con for this argument and for the voting audience that will take the time to read this.

Source:
https://www.google.com...
Posted by StilettoStomper 11 months ago
StilettoStomper
Who would want a thigh gap anyway?? They're so un-voluptuous! Marilyn Monroe didn't have a thigh gap! :)
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
RFD
Well, there's not much to go on here with one round, and I encourage Con to either post this type of topic in a forum, or allow for more rounds in another debate with this same topic, because the one round killed Con here.

There were no noticeable violations of conduct or S&G, so they're tied.

Pro provided a source, but I'm afraid it was simply a google search that only listed possible sites to choose from, without any indication of which one we should choose. Because this did not support Pro's argument, no source points for Pro, and Con had no sources.

Arguments:
Con should know that this topic is interesting, and with more development, Con could make an excellent case here, but I must vote on how it stands.

Con never puts forth a solid position on thigh gaps except for saying "I personally don't think they are pretty or healthy-looking..." so this is really all I get from Con.

Pro begins by claiming that they've won the debate because no position was taken by Con and Con only wanted to know what people think on the subject.
This is not the case. Pro has not won on this, because Con in fact did take a position, that thigh gaps aren't pretty/healthy looking, so Pro has to refute this.

Pro claims "individual's legs are more distinguishable as unique components of their body" if they have a thigh gap.

This is Pro's only real response to Con, and because there was no other round for Con to respond, I'm left buying that a distinct leg shape resulting from a thigh gap is pretty. Pro doesn't address thigh gaps looking unhealthy, so this is actually a close debate.

However, because one of Con's contentions with thigh gaps was refuted, and Pro's only argument was not refuted, just barely arguments to Pro.

Pro, you should provide single sources instead of a google search, because if you scroll down the search results for what you provided, you can find conflicting sources on your opinion.
Posted by Machrineith 1 year ago
Machrineith
Meropenem777, thank you for taking the time to comment here.

I will explain that my statement of "winning" in no way belittles the Con or implies I am somehow a more important individual. In many debates, it is commonplace to state that in an individual is wrong or right for any given set of arguments and I do not feel I should be penalized for my choice of words. That alone, in my opinion, is being an illogical person; a winner should be based not necessarily on what people believe, but what they perceive as the argument for both sides and logically conclude which is more sound (or in this case, more accurately based).
Posted by DebraJoyAce 1 year ago
DebraJoyAce
Ok so in my opinion i think thigh gaps are ugly in a way. I don't have one but i think they look very unhealthy. Some people might like them and some people may not, im not judging you if you do like them. In my preference i like my thighs touching because they are best friends and i don't think they would like to be separated by a gap between my legs :)
Posted by Meropenem777 1 year ago
Meropenem777
1. Con, this is not a forum website. It is a debate website. If you wanted to know, maybe go check the "opinions" or "polls" that might have this kind of subject and then you can hear different opinions on the matter of why some people find them pretty and some do not.

2. Pro, realize that the voting system on debate.org is respective to what the voters think are relatively "convincing arguments", "better conduct", and "reliable sources". I might just turn a blind eye and put all my votes on Con's side of the so called "argument" if I could, because you seemed to act like a presumptuous bully in stating "I will first start by winning this debate". This does not make me an illogical person to vote for the other side, because again, it is respective to what the voters believe. Sadly though, I cannot vote since I am still trying to complete my 3 required debates in order to vote.

3. Wow, what is up with that voting period. 176 days of voting? I am fairly new to debate.org so thats why its sort of surprising to me.
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
lauren.delrusMachrineithTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro cited a source; Con did not. Also, as Con stated - Con's argument was not truly as argument so much as an open ended question looking for feedback. Pro posted an actual argument and therefore wins the debate (or at least ELO points from me).
Vote Placed by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
lauren.delrusMachrineithTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.