iwillannoyyo
ConservativePolitico

This Century will be China's Century

ConservativePolitico

iwillannoyyo

Pro

Hi, this is an interesting topic that I have debated before and I don't think a similar topic has been debated on this website.

First Round is acceptance, Second Round are arguments, Third to Fourth round are rebuttals, and the Fifth round are conclusions.

I define the following:
This Century - the 21st Century spanning from 2000 - 2099
China's Century - China will be the most powerful nation in the world, primarily in the spheres of military, cultural, political, and economic.

I hope to have a fruitful and interesting debate with my opponent!
ConservativePolitico

Con

In order to fulfill the Burden of Proof Pro must show that China will be the most powerful country on Earth starting in the year 2000, meaning he must prove that China was the most powerful country from 2000 - 2011 and show that China is currently the most powerful country in the world today in 2012 and then he must show that they will continue to hold this status until 2099 in the fields of military, culture, politics and economics.
iwillannoyyo

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting my debate challenge.

I will now elaborate on my first contention: China will become the worlds most dominant economic power
How many of you have items at home that have stickers on them saying "Made in China? Im willing to bet ALL of you have something in your household that was produced in China. This is because in 2008, China surpassed Germany as the worlds leading exporter of merchandise. Not only that, China produces the most clothing, cement, steel, and gold. 77% of clothing in the USA is produced in China! Because of this exportation rate, Chinas economy is gaining momentum at an incredible rate. The economy in China has grown 9.7% annually since the 1970s! This percentage is higher than any other country.

Proof of Chinas economic growth stands in the impressive statistics they have constantly put up:
Chinas state companies reported a 32% increase in profits
China produced 8.8 million cars in 2007, a 22% increase from 2006. It is estimated that by the end of 2012 China will have surpassed the United States in automobile production
China owns the most powerful and rich corporation on Earth, PetroChina
China has 1.53 trillion dollars in foreign exchange reserves. This is 500 billion more dollars than Japan
In 2007 alone Chinas economy increased a staggering 11.4%

Currently China is as rich as the USSR was at the height of its glory. Now, the opposition might easily argue that this massive economic growth is non-sustainable. However, this is simply not true. China has recognized issues holding back it's economic growth and has taken steps to rid themselves of this problem, such as poverty and a lack of natural resources. ALREADY, people who make less than $114 US a month has been reduced from 250 million to 14.79 million and this number continues to drop!

Other countries have seen Chinas advancement and have started investing larger amounts in China. Direct foreign investment in 2010 was 11.2 billion dollars, an increase of 110%! Because of this massive increase it is estimated that by 2032 China will become the worlds leading economy. People from other countries believe this to be Chinas fate. 67% of people in Japan believe that Chinas economy will surpass the USAs economy while Britain, France, Australia, Germany, and Spain believe that China will replace the US as the worlds #1 superpower by the end of the century.

This brings me to my second contention, that China will be the worlds most dominant military power.
China is not afraid of military challengers. There is no reason for the Peoples Republic Of China to cower when it has the largest land army on Earth. With a 2.3 million soldier strong army and a nuclear arsenal China is not afraid of military challengers.

Not only that, but China also is the country that spends the most money on maintaining and improving their military. In 2010 they spent $160 million on its army. This money was put to use in maintaining and improving already existing military strategies and technology. China is currently updating its stealth fighter jets and has developed a carrier-killing ballistic missile designed to destroy aircraft carriers. Not only this, but China is becoming more assertive on the global stage with it's military.

In the recent years China has become more active in UN peace keeping and vetoing UN decisions. Last October China vetoed a UN decision to intervene in Syria. This is because China is a member of the Security Council, allowing it to veto any decision. But China has done more than veto decisions. China has been part of peace keeping missions to: Darfur, Sudan, Lebanon, Haiti, Congo, Kosovo, and Timor-Leste. China has even participated in UN peace keeping missions more than the United States, Russia, and the United Kingdom even though Chinas first peacekeeping mission was in 1989 while the United State's first mission was during the Suez Canal Crisis!

Almost every city on Earth has a Chinatown with the oldest located in the Philippines. Why might you ask? Because of the huge cultural dominance China has. Chinese celebrations and traditions are everywhere, even in the Western world.

For example:
Ordering Chinese food has become a staple in the diet of the world. Chinese cuisine is consumed by 1/3 of the world's population every day! Chinese restaurants have popped up all over America providing true and traditional Chinese food
Chinatowns in America are specifically maintained like communities in China with museums, shops, and restaurants maintaining Chinese culture
Chinese art such as calligraphy and character tattoos have also become very popular in America
Traditional Chinese clothing has also affected the style of clothes in America

The very language has become very prominent in the United States. Mandarin is the most commonly spoken language in the world. In American the number of Chinese speaking Americans has increased 10 fold and 50,000 kids learn how to speak Mandarin. 35 public schools in Chicago teach Mandarin! Furthermore, Obama's daughter is currently learning Mandarin.
Religions such as Buddhism, Confucian, and Taoism have been brought to America from China
Recreational activities such as Kung Fu and Tai Chi have been introduced
This has all come to be through the mass amount of Chinese emigration to other countries and immigration to China. Every year around 3,852,000 people emigrate from China. Every year 12 million people visit China and take away culture back to their homes. 1, 346, 510 Chinese people reside within Canada. Now it less known as American culture, but more as Chinese/American culture. Chinese people have immigrated to every country and have brought bits of culture with them.

For these reasons, Vote Con.

www.albertadebate.com
ConservativePolitico

Con

I. Economy

One of the biggest reasons China's economy looks so good is because they manipulate their currency downwards so that it is weak. A weak currency is appealing to outside investment. My opponent likes to throw out a lot of fancy numbers that include a lot of vague stats and percentages but let's look at the actual hard numbers.

Percentages are misleading because if I produce one car today and tomorrow I produce five cars I have increased my car production by 500%. I can now say "I increased production 500%!" and I look amazing. However, I have still only produced five cars.

i. GDP

The GDP of the United States, the world's current largest economy, is roughly $15 trillion. [1] The GDP of China who you claim to have surpassed the United States economically is only $7.3 trillion. [1] The Chinese economy is less than half of that of the US economy. You can throw around fancy percentages all you like but the facts show that China's economy is currently smaller than the US economy and will continue to be that way.

Even if it continues to grow 10% annually it will take years and years to even catch up to the US economy yet you claim that it is some how dominant and has been dominant since 2000.

ii. Continuity

According to one source the Chinese economic machine is going to slow down to normal levels very soon due to a few factors. Because the Chinese manipulate their currency they struggle with inflation of over 6% a year. This is huge for a country. This inflation will continue to hurt the country in the long run. Also, Chinese wages are rising which makes their country less appealing for manufacturing. By 2015 jobs will start coming back to the US because of inflation and higher wages. [2] Also, despite China's best efforts the Yuan continues to rise in value which makes exporting more and more difficult to do which will add to the prediction that China will start to lose economic steam in the near future.

My opponent has shown how China is a rising economic power and even a strong formidable economic power but has in no way shown how China is the current economic leader and how they will continue to hold this precarious position until the year 2099. By my sources, China is not the current economic leader and will actually begin to lose steam by 2015, not 2100.

II. Military

The United States is the current global military power. [3] The United States outnumbers China in the number of naval units, air units and strategic weapons by vast amounts. [4][5]

The size of one's army isn't the only factor in military strength. China has a single aircraft carrier, we have 11. China has 25 destroyers, we have 59. Army size is a factor but equipment is another and the US still vastly outnumbers Chinese military equipment.

Also, the technology you cited (stealth jets and anti-aircraft carrier missiles) have already been developed and used by the United States.

Again, you have failed to show how China has outpaced the United States (the current military leader) militarily and how they will continue to do so in the future.

III. Politics

China has been a member of the UN Security Council since 1946 at it's founding but has only used it's veto power 6 times. [6] The United States however has used it's veto power 82 times, Russia has used it's veto power 123 times. [6] So China's feat of vetoing a UN resolution really isn't impressive at all.

Also, the United States currently gives billions of dollars in foreign aid to 24 countries. [7] They're still the leader in the world in foreign aid and are a huge member of the UN Security Council outstripping Chinese vetoes 13 to 1.

IV. Culture

My opponents numbers are skewed. The numbers about food consumption and language are misleading because China has the largest global population so obviously a lot of people speak Chinese and eat Chinese food.

I want to point out that the largest cultural engine in the world right now is the Internet. The Internet is a US invention and is mainly run and maintained by US websites.

Disney has popped up in China in Hong Kong.
McDonalds is in China.
Apple products are in China.

Cultural diffusion is a part of globalization but Chinese culture is not the dominant culture in the world. US culture is.

50,000 kids learn Mandarin here in the US but there are 10,000,000 English speakers in China. [8]

V. Conclusion

My opponent has shown good facts and reasoning as to why China should be considered an up and coming power (transitioning from a Developing Nation to a Developed Nation) but has not provided enough information to have China be classified as the global power. The BOP established in the first round says Pro must show how China dominates all of the named spheres and has been dominant since 2000. I have clearly shown that they have not been dominant since 2000 and are not dominant now and will not be dominant until 2100.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...(nominal)
[2] http://moneymorning.com...
[3] http://www.globalfirepower.com...
[4] http://www.globalfirepower.com...
[5] http://www.globalfirepower.com...
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[8] http://en.wikipedia.org...
iwillannoyyo

Pro

iwillannoyyo forfeited this round.
ConservativePolitico

Con

My opponent's account has been deactivated.

Extend all arguments.
iwillannoyyo

Pro

iwillannoyyo forfeited this round.
ConservativePolitico

Con

Extend all points and arguments.
iwillannoyyo

Pro

iwillannoyyo forfeited this round.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
That's the same format as research studies.

Excellent
Posted by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
I did respond to his points....
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Maybe you should use the deactivation to respond to Pro's previously made points, as to secure a win.
ConservativePolitico
He deactivated his account.

I guess the debate's over.
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Interesting, I agree with Con.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 5 years ago
1Historygenius
iwillannoyyoConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious victory for Con.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
iwillannoyyoConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: A clear victory for Con.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
iwillannoyyoConservativePoliticoTied