This House Believes That Hosting the olympics is a good idea

THEDEBATOR333 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 9/22/2016 Category: Sports
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Hello and welcome to my debate round!
I'm going to jump right in!
Human Rights Violations,
When preparations are made to host the olympics people are forced out of there homes and neighbourhoods and are forced to move to places far away from schools,family and friends. The olympics only last a few days and HUGE changes are made for this event that only lasts a few days.
Now onto my second argument
The Cost of hosting the olympics is simply too great!
it can cost up to 50 billion dollars
for example in Bejing it costed 45 billion dollars
this is simply to great a cost for an event that only lasts a few days
Thank you so very much

My argument is that the Olympics are ultimately a good idea and boast more pros than cons. One of your main points was the economy, so I'm going to refute that. Let me point out a couple of pros for the economy:

1) Job Creation

The years of planning and investment years before the Olympics begin can help depressed parts of cities. It creates local jobs up to 4 years before the event, by making new stadiums and hotels,. An example of this is the 2012 Olympics, which created around 8000 full-time jobs and an economic output close to 2 billion pounds.

2) Long term investment

Firstly, the city hosting the event will enjoy improved sporting venues for quite a while. Not only that, but such events usually require upgrades to transport and infrastructure , which leave a lasting legacy on the city. Better transport reduces congestion and improves the efficiency of local businesses. From the 2012 Olympics, East London has benefited greatly from the improved public transport.