TheAdamb99
mafercrosa

This House Believes students be forced to be tutored if their grades are under average?

TheAdamb99

TheAdamb99

Con

Forcing a student to be tutored is not going to help them at all. Poor performance in school is most likely due to habit--if not, the student would willingly accept extra help in hopes of improving. Unless a student actually wants help, they are not likely to retain any information or do any better than they did without a tutor. Extra help should always be available to students, however forcing them to receive it is a waste of time.

Forcing someone to learn is redundant One cannot force content into someone's head. If students do not want to learn they will not learn, no matter the method.
Actually forcing them to learn through pressure would have more deterrend effects than anything. Instead, students should be motivated by the teacher. A teacher who cares about his students and understands the reasons behind their lack of motivation will do way better than a teacher who forces them to sit down and shove material into their brains.

Also a tutor only provides help when working with student. When the tutor leaves, so does the knowledge and effort the student attained when the tutor was there. It is a temporary solution not permanent.

[http://www.debate.org...]
mafercrosa

Pro

Definitions:
Forced: made necessary by an unexpected situation.
Tutored:act as a tutor to (a single student or a very small group)
Under Average: being below the quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean.

First argument:
Need of help.
Most students don't know they need help, until they get it. Students, can feel ashamed of needing help, so they won't search for it.
Under averaged in school is a loudly call for help. Sometimes forcing a student to be tutored is exactly what they need. If they don't feel supported or obligated to learn and give their best, its clear that they need a push from their parents or the teachers. Forced tutorials are not torture methods to get them to learn, in the contrary, it's a more personal class that let the student to earn more explanation or further help in subjects he can't pass or understand.

Second argument:

School environment

The opp speaker stated that: 'poor performance in school is most likely due the habit'. let me clear this matter. There can be cases in which the poor performance is a habit, but most of the students that have a poor performance is not because they want to. The school environment has a lot to do in this matter, it can easily distract a student from the class and make them lose the explanation.

As well, in a classroom, the teacher gives class for many students and if just one of them can't understand, the most probably thing is that the class won't stop just to explain it all over for one student. That's why tutorials are made for, to explain and help those kids who didn't understand the topic they were seeing in class.

Another element the school environment brings is the fear of being bullied. Students can also fear to be called "stupid" or "brainless" if they ask for help and makes the class stop from flowing as usual.

TheAdamb99

Con

As I have said before - forcing a student to be tutored is not going to help them at all. When my opponent said, "Sometimes forcing a student to be tutored is exactly what they need." That is completely false. Students who perform poorly in school are most likely not going to have the effort to stay at home an extra fee hours and get tutored. It is a waste of time for the students and a waste of money for the parent.

I accept that the school environment may cause distraction but as I have said when a tutor leaves the student once and for all, the knowledge that the tutor gave the student will leave with him also. I personally think it is is artificial learning. You are basically bringing a student up to a certain level where they can not sustain this effort and knowledge without the tutor.

Even the best of tutors cannot make a difference if the student is not committed to academic improvement. Students must enter each tutoring session with all learning materials, an open mind, and a positive attitude.

I would also like to point out that my opponent has not used any sources to back up his/her's argument. Vote CON!

[Sources: http://advancedlearners.com...]
mafercrosa

Pro

mafercrosa forfeited this round.
TheAdamb99

Con

As my opponent has forfeited the last round and has been unable to rebut any of my points I will reiterate the following:

I would also like to point out that my opponent has not used any sources to back up his/her's argument AND also forfeited the last round. VOTE CON!

[Sources: http://advancedlearners.com......]
mafercrosa

Pro

mafercrosa forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Jupiter1 2 years ago
Jupiter1
TheAdamb99mafercrosaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro- forfeited the last 2 rounds. Rebuted quite well, speaking that most students need that extra push. Con- perhaps best argued here. Counter argued with sustainability, and student commitment. Repeated the same argument in last round rather than concluding. So, I will relieve the conduct and source point to Con