Benjamin_Manus
Defro

This House Would abolish homework

Defro

Benjamin_Manus

Pro

NOTE: This is an official Connecticut Debate Association resolution.

The whole point of public schools is to teach the students then and there, not to send them home with hours of homework, especially in 9th through 12th grade. When a student has hours of homework to do, it gets very stressful, chiefly when that student has other after-school programs to attend. Students often stay up late at night completing their homework and do not get enough sleep, therefore not preparing them for the next day
Defro

Con

I accept this debate.

*Disclaimer:

According to Pro: "The whole point of public schools is to teach the students then and there."
I disagree with this claim. This assertion suggest that education is a means to itself, that schools teach students for the sole purpose of teaching students.

Most education philosphers would agree that the purpose of education is to prepare students to be active contributors of the community in the future. [1]

C1. Homework Helps

As a high school senior who has had homework for the past 12 years, I can say with validity that homework certainly helps. It helps me understand all the material taught at school better.

When I was a freshman, I recieved a serious head injury that caused me to not be able to focus at school as well anymore. I couldn't understand most of what was being taught to me, but once I got home and did the homework, I began to understand. Without homework, I would not be able to understand material taught at school.

C2. Homework is up to Each Student

All high school students are able to choose many of their own classes. They should be aware of the work load a class requires. Therefore, if a student has a lot of extra-curricular activities that would take up his or her time, he or she should choose classes that have a light work load. If a student ends up having too much homework than he or she can handle, it is his or her own fault.

C3. Teaches Responsibility and Time Management Skills

Schools and teachers are not ignorant of the fact that students have lives outside of school, and they take this into consideration when assigning homework. Most schools are generally relatively reasonable with the amount of homework assigned. The exception to this would be if a student chose to take multiple AP courses, but as mentioned in contention 2, this is the student's own responsibility.

I would say the average school requires about 2 hours of homework per day, which I find very reasonable. If I do my homework 2 hours everyday, I wouldn't have to sleep late as Pro mentioned. I have a lot of extracurricular activities. My school gets of at 3 and I get home at 6 - 8 PM. If I get home at 6 or 7, I have an hour of free time before doing 2 hours of homework starting at 8 - 10 PM, and then I go to sleep. That is a very reasonable time to sleep.

However, sometimes I come home at 8 or later. This is how I learned time management. I realized that so that I can sleep before 11 PM on days in which I return home late, I'm going to have to do more than just 2 hours a day. I balance and arrange my schedule so that as long as I don't procrastinate, I will still be able to complete my homework and not have to sleep late.

Time management is a very important skill to have, and homework is the perfect tool to teach it to students.

C4. Prepares Students for the Future

Life tough. This is something all students must learn. When they are grown up and they get jobs, they will have to do work. They will be given assignments and tasks by their bosses that they must complete within a certain amount of time. To be efficient at executing these tasks, they must manage their time well, a skill you can develop through homework. Homework is a great tool for training them to be better prepared for situations like these and work hard.

C5. Teaches Students to be Independent

Another skill that homework can develop in students is to be more independent. At school, there are teachers who help you. At home, you are likely alone, and you must solve problems by yourself. The most important thing an adult needs to be is independent. Therefore, homework is preparing students to be adults.

[1] http://www.purposeofschool.com...

Benjamin_Manus

Pro

C1 Rebuttal:
If you can't understand material at school, you should ask the teachers to explain it clearly than have students just left out to figure it out on their own. Teachers might be able to give a clearer definition or explanation of the problem at hand.

C2 Rebuttal:
Yes, high school students can choose some of their classes, but in public school, a lot of the harder classes are mandatory such as math, science, English, etc. They come with a heavy workload of homework hindering after-school activities.

C3 Rebuttal:
According to a study done by the Los Angeles Times, students have more than 2 hours. Actually 3 or more hours of homework. Not as many teenagers are as diligent about their time management as you are. The US Census Bureau did a study in 2013 and found that 67% of students are more stressed out because of their large amount of homework and don't get enough sleep at night. Yes, efficiency is an important tool to have, but homework is not the way to teach it.

C4 Rebuttal:
See the final sentence in my C3 Rebuttal.

C5 Rebuttal:
At home, students are more likely to look on the internet for easy answers where at school, they are less likely because they might get caught. Cheating is not the way of life. It's better to have a teacher help you than to just look up answers on Google.
Defro

Con

Counter Rebuttal: C1:

You can always get help from teachers with your homework, the purpose for afterschool work is to familiarize yourself with the materials you're learning. That's why it's essential to have homework for subjects such as Math or English, when studying coursework outside of schoolwork you're giving yourself maximum exposure to the materials which not only aid in understanding but will improve your performance significantly.

Counter Rebuttal: C2:

Mandatory highschool classes almost necessitate homework, not because it's useless but because it aids in helping students learn the material being studied. Abolishing homework would decrease performance significantly.

Counter Rebuttal: C3:

I ask that my opponent please list a source the next time he quotes directly from a study. If a student applies themself accordingly they can balance coursework. I have a friend that's taking 4 AP classes and attends sport meetings regularly and goes to scouting events. And my opponent himself stated that students aren't dilligent with their time. Which proves that the fault is not in the homework, but the student.

Counter Rebuttal: C4 & C5:

Again, my opponent tries to blame homework for the fault of the student. Cheating has nothing to do with the assignment of homework.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ask that my opponent uphold his BoP, and present us with a case for his position!

Thank you,
Benjamin_Manus

Pro

Benjamin_Manus forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

Conclusion:

Pro has not met his burden of proof. Pro claimed that homework should be abolished because it is stressful and give students little time to sleep. This can easily be solved just by reducing the amount of homework given. If there is only a little bit of homework given to students, then there is no stress, and students can sleep longer. There is no reason to completely abolish homework.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
Benjamin_ManusDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments are refuted by Con.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Benjamin_ManusDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited a round which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to maintain his BOP by failed to negate the counter-arguments raised by Con. Specifically regarding alternative solutions. Due to these dropped points by Pro, as well as the forfeit not allowing him to rebut any of Con's latest arguments, Con wins these points. Sources - Con. Pro failed to utilize sources in this debate whereas Con did. This is a clear win for Con.
Vote Placed by Bennett91 2 years ago
Bennett91
Benjamin_ManusDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for FF. This debate was simply rebuttals and counter rebuttals with the only arguments being put forth in round 1. Pro did not put up compelling arguments that withstood counter argument.