TheShadeM
Carter16

This House would ban drivers from using mobile phones

Carter16 has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Judge Point System: Select Winner
Started: 11/8/2016 Category: Technology
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

TheShadeM

Con

Short debate. 2000 chars per round. 24 hours per round.

This debate uses judge voting. Nominated judges are: Blade-of-Truth, whiteflame and lannan13.

Please only accept this debate if you intend on seeing it through. DO NOT FORFEIT ROUNDS. First round is acceptance and definition.

A reminder that if you accept this debate, you are taking the Pro side which means you AGREE with the motion. It is also up to you as Pro to define the motion in your Round 1.

Looking forward to a good debate. :)
Carter16

Pro

Banning drivers from using mobile phones would cause a lot less accidents and keep people from dying due to drivers not paying attention to the roads. Some say that not all drivers do this, and while this is true, more than most do and poor, innocent people can suffer bad consequences.
Source for following: https://www.cdc.gov...
In the U.S. alone, more than eight people are killed due to distracted driving (mainly because of being on their phones). And 1,161 are injured.
TheShadeM

Con

Thank you to my opponent for accepting.

I will now proceed with rebuttals. My opponent started off by saying that most drivers use mobile phones in hazardous ways that lead to accidents. However, what about an equally significant proportion of people who are good, disciplined drivers? Are you going to ban mobile phones for EVERYONE just because SOME people are irresponsible. The reason I say 'some' is because I do not think there is any evidence to prove a vast majority of drivers use phones dangerously while driving. How can you prove that at any particular time on the road, a majority of drivers are using their phones while driving? It could also be the case that many drivers use the phone when there is traffic gridlock when transiting to/from work, or just to read a text when the light turns red. Surely these actions are ok and don't contribute to accidents too.

My opponent then brought out some research about how many people are killed because they are distracted. Upon reading the article, it is plain to see that while texting is a major form of distraction, it is not the only one nor can anyone prove it is the NUMBER ONE form of distraction. Eating and having noisy children in the back are also distractions. According to my opponent then, we should ban all forms of these distractions and children under the age of 12 probably shouldn't be allowed in vehicles. :)

My argument against this motion is that there are already laws in the country or in many countries that punish reckless and careless driving. There is no need to make another law exclusive to banning mobile phones. If a driver is texting while driving, then the law can already prosecute him for being reckless, and he falls in the same crime as the person who was munching on a burger while driving.

A second argument is that it's not going to be easy to enforce such a ban. If a person was caught talking in hands-free, he could argue he was just talking to himself. Who would really know?

Your turn.
Carter16

Pro

http://www.nhtsa.gov...
There was a 2012 national survey done by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and it was found that 660,000 drivers use cell phones or electronic devices while driving.

Although there are laws against texting and driving and the fines are usually at least $200 most people do not take these laws and fines seriously so it is mostly just known and ignored.

I am in no way saying that 12 year olds should not be able to ride in vehicles or that we should ban all distractions. To ban all distractions are nearly impossible, no matter what we take away there will always be something else as you pointed out with eating and such. But we can try to improve and eliminate the bigger distractions that are more evident, than the other less controllable and obvious ones.

Going off of what you pointed out with having issues, enforcing phones in car ban laws. Yes, it would be difficult, but using your example, yes, if someone is caught hands-free one could claim that they were talking to themselves but by using street cams and such to double check their word.

"Reaction time is as delayed for a driver talking on a cell phone as for a driver who is legally drunk."
http://www.automotive-fleet.com...

Drunk driving is against the law and if texting and driving is as bad as drunk driving, shouldn"t it be against the law as well?
TheShadeM

Con

My opponent started out with some stats on how apparently many drivers in the USA have been guilty of using gadgets while driving. Ok, so let's take my opponent at his best and agree that yes, a majority of drivers are using phones while driving. This, in and of itself, does not mean anything. A majority of people in the USA owning guns does not mean that just because of that, we should ban all guns.

Then, my opponent says that there are already fines in place which are actually quite high to punish these offenders but according to him, people don't take them seriously. How do you actually know that people don't take these fines seriously? Also, when you admit that there are already fines in place, this goes exactly with what I have said in Round 1 where I asked why should we specifically ban phones when existing laws already penalise someone for irresponsible behaviour which INCLUDES texting. What we can do is maybe to increase these fines so people would take them seriously but there is no need to introduce a new law specifically tackling phones.

My opponent then admits it is hard to enforce a phone ban but he dismisses it and claims we should install more CCTVs just so we can check out who was actually using a phone. So instead of easily raising fines he would use more money to install more equipment and hire more people so that we can specifically establish whether someone was indeed on the phone.

My opponent's final sentence in his Round 2 was "Drunk driving is against the law and if texting and driving is as bad as drunk driving, shouldn't it be against the law as well?" Exactly. ANY FORM of irresponsible driving is already against the law. So in a sense, texting and driving ALREADY is against the law.

What my opponent needs to address is why should we specifically enforce a ban that makes it illegal for anyone to so much as look at their phone when driving EVEN IN instances when the car is stopped at traffic lights etc. He has not managed to do so.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 weeks ago
FanboyMctroll
And then the phone rings it's your mom and you pick it up or friend is texting you and you have to pick it up to read the text and at that same moment you just piled into the back of a stopped vehicle with a small child in the back named Joey.

I'm drafting a law that will be called Joey's Law and it will state, all phones will be disabled in cars while the vehicle is in motion, any disabling of the phone jamming device will be punishable by a summary conviction and or criminal conviction to a sentence of max 10 years
Posted by jo154676 3 weeks ago
jo154676
I just said that the phone is just laying down playing a premade playlist but that would be turned off which is wrong
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 weeks ago
FanboyMctroll
That's what your radio in the car is for.

Cell phones are killing more people now then drunk drivers, put the cell phone down and pay attention to the road
Posted by jo154676 3 weeks ago
jo154676
What if you want to listen to music on your phone in the car and just leave it in the console playing a playlist?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 weeks ago
FanboyMctroll
Google has come out and stated that they have a device available that can block a cell phone signal while the car is in motion. Why isn't this installed on all cars, it would clear up the problems right away. You can only use your phone when the engine is off.