shakuntala
imabench

This Scottish poet says this poet is Australia's leading erotic poet

imabench
Started: 8/4/2013 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

This Scottish poet jim hogg says this poet is Australia's leading erotic poet
http://www.scribd.com...
I argue that jim hogg is correct

jim hogg says
http://www.poemhunter.com...

Ode Tae Colin Leslie Dean, Australia's Leading Erotic Poet Allegedly

Weel, colin man, ye"ve done us proud
Ye"ve plestered a" the wa"s an" a"
Ye"ve sprung fae in a b"low yer shroud
An" flashed us wi yer whang an" a"
An" mushrooms rare ye didnae spare
Until oor very een were sare
Wi kittlin" skits this day

But feminists aroon the globe
Are writhing wi their wrath an" a
An" probably there"ll be a probe
Wi" bile an" much anathema
Yer rhymes are ripe fer getting sockt
Yer tool"s in line fer getting" dockt
In whittlin" fits this day

An" aye it seems there come the day
Whun structured rhymers, scribes an" a"
Must realise it"s time tae slay
Some ither fiends some ither whar
Ye"ve fed us foo on Aussie prose
Wi chittlin whits ye passed as brose
Never-endin"ly this lang day
jim hogg
imabench

Con

Jim Hogg is not correct since the poetry in question is simply terrible.

You may state your case
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"You may state your case"
I have stated my case
1) ie this poet is Australia's leading erotic poet
2) and given proof ie jim hogg says so himself
3)and given evidence the poem jim hogg has written about Australia's leading erotic poet

now it is up to you to refute each point
imabench

Con

'1) ie this poet is Australia's leading erotic poet'

Thats not an argument, thats just an opinion. A very poor and uninformed opinion, and therefore proves nothing. If Colin Dean really is the most famous poet in Australia, then how come wikipedia hasnt even heard of him?

'2) and given proof ie jim hogg says so himself'

Jim Hogg is not the king of poetry who single handedly decides if someone is a good poet or not. Jim Hogg isnt even a real person either, hes a pitiful creation someone used to promote Colin Dean's work... And you can tell since both of them have equally sh*tty poetry.

'3)and given evidence the poem jim hogg has written about Australia's leading erotic poet'

People who think that Colin Dean is Australia's leading poet:

1

People who think that Colin Dean sucks terribly and shouldnt make poetry anymore:

20 and counting

3 here: http://www.debate.org...
2 here : http://www.online-literature.com...
2 here : http://www.writingforums.com...
2 more here : http://www.debate.org...
1 here : http://www.debate.org...
3 here: http://www.debate.org...
4 here: http://www.debate.org...
2 here: http://www.debate.org...

Here are some of the comments people have said regarding Dean's work:

'Colin Leslie Dean is an untalented poet and philosopher from Australia who abuses sites like DDO and Yahoo answers in a vain attempt to gain exposure and promulgate his non-celebrity'

- Agent Storm

'Those poems sound like they were written by syphilis itself.'

- Poetaster

' Remember that scene in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" when the Vogon Commander strapped the protagonists to a table and forced them to listen to his terrible poetry or else be thrown out the airlock into space? You, Shakuntala, are that Vogon'

- oromagi

'What did I just read?'

- Sargon

'wtf is this?'

- Enoguiera

' I think we can all come to a consensus that this just sucks.'

- Fictional_Reality

'Wow, this is arguably one of the worst and most lifeless poems I've ever read in my life.'

- Sargon

Point is Colin Dean is a horrible terrible poet who if he were to die tomorrow, nobody would notice at all since nobody knows him sicne his poetry is so f*cking awful
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"Point is Colin Dean is a horrible terrible poet who if he were to die tomorrow, nobody would notice at all since nobody knows him sicne his poetry is so f*cking awful"

that is just poor logic
being a horrible terrible poet does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet

I have given proof that he is regarded as Australia's leading erotic poet
1-jim hogg is real just google him
2)his poem is real it is in front of you

all you have given is evidence that your sources dont like him
but again
just because they dont like him is no proof that he is still not Australia's leading erotic poet
imabench

Con

'being a horrible terrible poet does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet'

It kinda does..... Colin Dean is so terrible, that literally nobody has ever heard of him, and those who have and have seen his work thinks he is the worst poet ever. That means he surely cant be Australia's leading erotic poet

"1-jim hogg is real just google him 2-his poem is real it is in front of you"

Ive seen the poem, and its f*cking terrible. Its not as bad as Colin Dean's work but its pretty close.

Also as ive said before, Jim Hogg doesnt determine who is the best poet or not, society as a whole does, and so far, all of society thinks that Colin Dean is a f*cking terrible poet.

Colin Dean is terrible, end of story.

Vote Con
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"t kinda does..... Colin Dean is so terrible, that literally nobody has ever heard of him, and those who have and have seen his work thinks he is the worst poet ever. That means he surely cant be Australia's leading erotic poet"

wrong the logic is flawed
just because you dont like his poetry it does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet

con says
""1-jim hogg is real just google him 2-his poem is real it is in front of you"

Ive seen the poem, and its f*cking terrible. Its not as bad as Colin Dean's work but its pretty close. "

just because you dont like the poem does not mean he still cant Australia's leading erotic poet

I have given evidence to back up my claim
all you have given is people who dont like Deans poetry but that does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet

to refute my claims you need to give proof not just quote those who dont like his poetry

if I could give people who hate Shakespeare can I then say Shakespeare is not a great poet -you would say I cant say that or draw that conclusion
likewise giving people who dont like Deans poetry you cant draw the conclusion Dean is not Australia's leading erotic poet
imabench

Con

"just because you dont like his poetry it does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet"

Its not just me though, NOBODY LIKES THIS GUY'S WORK.

"all you have given is people who dont like Deans poetry but that does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet"

Yes it does, he cant be Australia's leading erotic poet if nobody knows him or even likes his work!

"if I could give people who hate Shakespeare can I then say Shakespeare is not a great poet -you would say I cant say that or draw that conclusion"

You cant though because Shakespeare, unlike Colin Dean, has MASSIVE support and world praise for his poetry. Yes many people dont like Shakespeare but just as many people do like and value his work which means that Shakespeare is a great poet even though many people dont like or care for his work

Colin Dean on the other hand has NO support or praise from ANYONE, yet anyone who has had the misfortune to encounter and read over his sh*tty work unanimously agree that hes simply terrible.

shakuntala

Pro

con says
""just because you dont like his poetry it does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet"

Its not just me though, NOBODY LIKES THIS GUY'S WORK. "

cons only argument that Dean is not Australia's leading erotic poet is that
"NOBODY LIKES THIS GUY'S WORK."

as I pointed out that is a logical flaw

on the other hand I have given the opinion of a Scottish poet jim hogg -look him up on google
and given jim hoggs poem called
"Ode Tae Colin Leslie Dean, Australia's Leading Erotic Poet Allegedly"

thus I have backed up my claims with proof
all con does if give logically flawed views
thus con has not refuted my claim
thus vote pro
imabench

Con

'just because you dont like his poetry it does not mean he still cant be Australia's leading erotic poet'

Are you retarded or something? The argument is that EVERYBODY hates this guys work which therefore means he is not even close to being a leading Australian erotic poet.

'on the other hand I have given the opinion of a Scottish poet jim hogg'

Again retard, Jim Hogg isnt the all knowing being who determines if someone is a good poet or not. His opinion literally doesnt mean anything

Pro has failed to produce two people who think Colin Dean isnt a sh*tty poet
Pro has failed to counter the fact that far more people dont like his poetry then those who do like it
Pro has failed to even suggest that Colin Dean is even famous in Australia
Pro has failed

Vote con
Posted by jimhogg 3 years ago
jimhogg
Very enlightening: not a single poster understood the poem - or even the title - so much for the quality of the minds engaged in this so called debate! I'm am not a fan of Colin Leslie Dean's poetry (or his maths, science, philosophy or views on evolution) to put it mildly. I made that clear in the poem (the final word in the title was a clue, and the last three lines don't leave a lot of room for doubt) and in many postings in the poemhunter poetics forum where his work was posted and discussed ad nauseam. As for the contributor who referred to my "ode" as "shitty"- maybe he should have put a little more effort into analysing it . . . perhaps then he might have understood it. His judgement betrays very little in the way of literary analysis. For all that, he's certainly entitled to his opinion, regardless of how uninformed it might be. I'm assuming that the level of debate on this one isn't representative of the others on here. A little work on the difference between fact and opinion, the nature of evidence, and the fundamentals of logic wouldn't go amiss. Warburton's Philosophy The Basics might be a good place to start.

As for Dean (or whoever he is) . . . . his disconnection from reality is perhaps a little more extreme and extensive than is normal, but I suspect that he's very sincere in his beliefs, however misguided. 'Twas himself by the way, who claimed that he was Australia's leading erotic poet.
Posted by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
Yes, or he could be both.
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
I think that theres a better chance that shakuntala is Colin Dean himself since he constantly tries to promote his work
Posted by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
The poem cited is by Higgs in praise of Dean. No example of Dean is given. However, Higgs was not qualified as an expert on Australian erotic poetry, so the burning question of who is the best Australian erotic poet remains. Pro failed to meet the burden of proof.

A web search reveals that C.L. Dean is web troll who uses aliases to draw attention to himself. So maybe Higgs is in fact Dean; we don't know. imabench is an expert on trolling, so I'm surprised he didn't pick that up. No matter, the burden of proof stomps all. Con wins.
Posted by Fictional-Reality 3 years ago
Fictional-Reality
Most of the letter arrangements in that "poem" aren't even words. And as subjective as art is, I think we can all come to a consensus that this just sucks.
Posted by RangersHockey 3 years ago
RangersHockey
Please, shut up. You're clogging up the place with your boring "debates"/thinly veiled advertisements.
Posted by Sargon 3 years ago
Sargon
Wow, this is arguably one of the worst and most lifeless poems I've ever read in my life.
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
Shakuntala is Dean. he's trying to advertise himself on the site. Pretty pathetic, wouldn't you say Dean?
Posted by Bannanawamajama 3 years ago
Bannanawamajama
Aint nobody cares about your poetry Scribd account man, stop posting these every single day. Its almost been a week of this, and nobody's accepting any of these.
Posted by Poetaster 3 years ago
Poetaster
This isn't a debate. It's little more than a billboard for CL Dean, alias "shakuntala".
Vote Placed by ModusTollens 3 years ago
ModusTollens
shakuntalaimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a troll for self promotion on shakuntala's part.
Vote Placed by Oromagi 3 years ago
Oromagi
shakuntalaimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: A poet with no sense of irony is no poet. A debater with no sense of reason is no debater.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
shakuntalaimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: The poem quoted was not written by C.L. Dean, it is a poem written by Jim Hogg. The problem is that Pro didn't qualify Jim Hogg as an expert in Australian erotic poetry, so Hogg's opinion counts no more than anyone else. A little web searching reveals that Dean is a self-promoting internet troll. Con should have tracked down Dean, but no matter, Pro didn't make the case.