MMariani48
LLawliet

This Season of NBC's "The Office" has been detrimental to the show.

MMariani48

Pro

Rounds
1) Acceptance
2) Opening Statements
3) Rebuttal
4) Rebuttal
5) Conclusions

I look forward to debating this out with you. This is my first debate so please hang with me as I learn how to use the site.
LLawliet

Con

I think that while past seasons of the Office were much better than the current ones, I believe that the show could be more succesful if they hired a somewhat succesful actor to take the place of Michael. The current seasons are not detrimental to the Office because while not as good, they are still humorous. I will say that having to to resort to having Kathy try to seduce Jim and Erin staying in Florida, was not a good plot device. The Office still has a lot of potential.
MMariani48

Pro

There are several reasons why I feel as though this season has been detrimental to the show. I have been an avid viewer of the Office for the past seven seasons. And this season has done nothing in my opinion but damage what those seven seasons accomplished.
The loss of a lead actor to a show almost always negatively affects the show. For the first seven seasons of the office, we watched as Michael Scott, as portrayed by Steve Carrel, made a mockery of the office through his goofiness and general lack of common sense. However, there were also many heart filled moments with Scott as well. For instance, when Pam had her art displayed in an art show, just as she was packing up thinking no one was coming, Michael shows up and offers to buy her art. Michael Scott has been the most important character of the show, not because he was the manager of the office, but because the show built him to be the main character. Another thing lost with Carrel leaving the show was the most fact that the most well known actor left. I am not insulting any of the other actors, but before the show, they were not as well known as Steve Carrel.
This season also has had an apparent lack of detail or the plot line has been flawed. The last couple of episodes of season seven, the main concept were finding a replacement for Michael Scott. We have had famous actors like Will Ferrell or Jim Carrey has made appearances for the position. At the end of season seven, we did not know who was going to fill the shoes of Michael Scott. At the start of season eight, Andy assumes the place as manager of the branch. We spent several episodes finding a replacement just for Andy to be placed there over the off season. Another plot line fail, is that Cathy and Jim have had no prior history of romantic entanglement. While in Florida, Cathy makes a move on Jim. There have not really been any signs of this attraction, a subtle attempt was made at the pool party in Robert California's house, but it was poorly executed. Pam has been on leave from the office, and not one attempt was made during this absence from either Jim or Cathy.
According to "TV by the Numbers", the ratings for the Office have dropped significantly this season. And it is for these reasons on average, seven million people tuned in Thursday nights to watch season seven of the Office, this seasons this average has dropped to just under five million. For seven seasons according to TV by the numbers, the office has stood proud with a dedicated group of followers. This season however, they have lost nearly two million viewers.
I am not saying the office is a horrible show, but this season has hurt it. With the loss of Michael Scott, plot line holes, and drop in viewers, it is safe to say that this season has been detrimental to the shows existence, and everything it has built for the last seven seasons.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com... <-- TV by the Numbers
LLawliet

Con

LLawliet forfeited this round.
MMariani48

Pro

Hard to rebuttal something, when there was no opening statement.

In your side of the acceptance round, you admitted that this season of the show, has not been as successful as it could have been. You state, that the past seasons of the Office, are much better than the current season. So, could it be said that this season has been detrimental to the show? That answer is yes. You mention, "The current seasons are not detrimental to the Office because while not as good, they are still humorous." I think there are two million viewers of the office who disagree with you. According to TV by the Numbers, the first episode of the Office this season brought in just over seven million viewers. By the next episode, this number had dropped to six million viewers. And as the season has progressed, this number has dwindled and dwindled to an Office low, of just under five million viewers. Detrimental means, harmful or hurtful. When one season of a show brings a show that has stayed strong at almost eight million viewers an episode to just under five million, that season can be called detrimental. In this debate,

Everyone knew that the drop of lead actor Steve Carell would negatively effect the show. For a while, there were glimmers that Will Ferrell would fill in his shoes which made many viewers happy and gave hope towards the show. At the end of season seven, Carell left, and no one was left filling his shoes. The numbers stayed around the shows average of seven million viewers for the remainder of the season. Season eight had to start with a bang, it had to show the viewers that it was still the same show. It failed to do that. the season is not yet over and we are losing viewers by the episode.

I am not arguing that the Office is a dead show, I am simply implying that this season has hurt it. I hope that the office will bounce back to the great show it once was, but currently the recent season is not helping it to achieve it.
LLawliet

Con

LLawliet forfeited this round.
MMariani48

Pro

MMariani48 forfeited this round.
LLawliet

Con

LLawliet forfeited this round.
MMariani48

Pro

I don't need to say anything. I think I won! =)
LLawliet

Con

LLawliet forfeited this round.
Posted by Yep 5 years ago
Yep
I completely disagree, I'll admit this season isn't even close to the old Michael Scott Seasons, but for the shows entirety i would say it is maybe a low point at most. Detrimental would mean damaging to the show, which i find untrue. I would love to accept but I have no time and 3000 Char. Limit is far too small for me.
Posted by MMariani48 5 years ago
MMariani48
This is a debate for class, 3000 was our assigned limit. Sorry!
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
3,000 characters is a bit too small. I'd consider accepting if there were a larger character limit at the expense of one round of arguing, perhaps.