shakuntala
alexmiller887

This a great surreal poem-The Odalisque

Started: 4/13/2014 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

I ague this is a great surreal poem
The-Odalisque
http://www.scribd.com...

Example
the glass vases to screeching owls do form
juspyou
nabennty
he he
curtains stained in green mist weep glassy globes of dew glowing like congealed blood
the hair of she flashes in to fiery flames of flickering golden light her face melts like creamy custard golden paste as the flesh of she bursts into flames the butterfly evaporated into multicolored mist
alexmiller887

Con

I'm just going to take the same argument that has been used by all your opponents, including me.

Poetry is subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and therefore, unless you can prove that to all people it is a 'great surreal poem' then I automatically win.

Over to you, shakuntala.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"Poetry is subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and therefore, unless you can prove that to all people it is a 'great surreal poem' then I automatically win."

reply
1)con says
"unless you can prove that to all people"

I did not say to all people this poem is great"
i said
"This a great surreal poem"

con says
"Poetry is subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

so then I was expressing a subjective judgement
so
you tell us your subjective judgement-after you have read the poem
alexmiller887

Con

My opponent has at least upped his game a little.

Now let's continue.

'so then I was expressing a subjective judgement
so
you tell us your subjective judgement-after you have read the poem'
It does not matter what my subjective judgement is, this is a debate.

This belongs in the forum, not as a debate.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"It does not matter what my subjective judgement is, this is a debate.

This belongs in the forum, not as a debate."

reply
if con did believe this question should be in a forum rather than a debate he should have said that in his first reply

con is now changing the goal post because he is trying to weasel out of giving us his opinion of as to weather this is a great surreal poem

con said in his first post
"Poetry is subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and therefore, unless you can prove that to all people it is a 'great surreal poem' then I automatically win.
reply
I told him i did not say a great surreal poem for all
thus undermining his claim that he wins the debate

note con did not reply to my argument
again
now he is again

trying to weasel out of giving us his opinion of as to weather this is a great surreal poem
alexmiller887

Con

I am not trying to 'weasel' out of giving my opinion. I am taking the Con position, therefore my opinion is obvious. I think it is not a great surreal poem. If my opponent wasn't quite clear on that, I hope it has cleared it up.
If we take the sum total of my opponent's arguments, I would in fact say that HE is trying to weasel out of making his role in the debate, which is to prove that this is a great surreal poem. I've read it. It sucks. It may be a great surreal poem to YOU, Mr shakuntala, but your role in the debate is to convince me. You have failed.

I'm in fact trying to help you, because you have no hope of winning, because I have convinced myself that this poem sucks.

Now let's assume you put this in the forums. You have a chance of at least someone liking it. But here, when you phrased the resolution in such a way that one person not linking negates it, you have not chance.

Over to you, shakuntala.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"I am not trying to 'weasel' out of giving my opinion. I am taking the Con position, therefore my opinion is obvious. I think it is not a great surreal poem. I"

reply con admits that he does not think this is a great surreal poem

but note he has not told us why it is not a great surreal poem

it is cons duty by taking the con position to back up his claims with arguments
and not just state his position ie con says " I think it is not a great surreal poem. I""

so con after reading the poem could you back up your claim "I think it is not a great surreal poem. I" with some argument
alexmiller887

Con

You have raised your game the tiniest bit, shakuntala. However, you are Pro for this resolution, and as you failed to define BoP, it is on you. YOU need to support your claim with arguments, not me.

I have already provided reasons.

Back to you, and please stop being like a broken record.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"YOU need to support your claim with arguments, not me.

I have already provided reasons.

reply
1) con says YOU need to support your claim with arguments,
i have given my argument in the first post where i quoted some lines from the poem to show why i think it is a great surreal poem
2) con says
"I have already provided reasons."

a)all con says was he thinks the post should be in the forum he has not backed up by examples from the poem to show why the poem is not a great surreal poem

b) con has only said that ""unless you can prove that to all people" he wins
but as i pointed outI did not say to all people this poem is great"
i said
"This a great surreal poem"
thus con has not provided arguments quote to show why he thinks it is not great surreal poem
alexmiller887

Con

My opponent seems to have no idea what the word 'reason' means. He has quoted a few lines from his own poem, to say that it is 'good'. That is not a reason.

In summary, my opponent has given an incoherent, incomplete and flawed argument. Vote Con!