General-Z
Zarroette

This debate is pointless

Zarroette

General-Z

Pro

This debate is pointless because I, the instigator, believes it to be so.
Zarroette

Con

Thank you, General-Z, for instigating this debate.

Negative Case

According to Dictionary.com:

Pointless: without force, meaning, or relevance: "a pointless remark" [1].

I maintain that the point of this debate is to debate whether this debate has meaning. In doing so, this debate acquires meaning in determining meaning. Hence, the resolution is negated. The fact that this can be debated proves that it is not pointless, or else debate would not be possible.

Counter-Arguments

"This debate is pointless because I, the instigator, believes it to be so."

My opponent appeals to authority in this statement. In essence, my opponent claims that because he/she has declared that the debate is pointless, it becomes pointless. Merely the character making the declaration is not sufficient to render something true [2].

Therefore, I have negated my opponent's argument based on exposing this fallacy, and thus my opponent has yet to fulfil his/her burden of proof.

References:

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...;
General-Z

Pro

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Pointless: Adjective, devoid of meaning/effectiveness
The purpose of this debate is to see whether or not this debate is pointless, which contributes to nothing outside of this debate. It doesn't help progress the human race neither does it have any effect outside this website whatsoever. Therefore, this debate fits the definition of pointless according to Merriam-webster,
Zarroette

Con

Thank you, General-Z.

Negative Case

My opponent has ignored my arguments here. Hence, they are all dropped.

Rebuttals

"Pointless: Adjective, devoid of meaning/effectiveness"

I have no idea why my opponent thought it necessary to provide another definition. This definition is congruent with the one that I used to make my negative case. Since my negative case has been dropped, my opponent's attempt to use a different definition does not impede my case and hence wins me the debate.

"The purpose of this debate is to see whether or not this debate is pointless, which contributes to nothing outside of this debate."

The debate still has meaning within itself despite, even if this bare assertion were the case. The resolution is "This debate is pointless", NOT "This debate is pointless in the outside world".

"It doesn't help progress the human race neither does it have any effect outside this website whatsoever. Therefore, this debate fits the definition of pointless according to Merriam-webster."

Nowhere in my opponent's definition does it specify that meaning must relate to "progress[ing] the human race" or "have any effect outside this website whatsoever". Therefore, my opponent's stringent interpretation is incorrect via the definition that he/she gave, hence this argument is unfounded.

Conclusion: Why I have won this debate

My opponent drops my entire counter-case. This alone is enough for me to win this debate. Furthmore, Pro's new definition does not align with his/her new argument, so his/her case is inherently faulty, as I showed. This is why I have won the debate. Thank you for reading =)
Posted by IwinYoulose333 1 year ago
IwinYoulose333
This debate is not pointless, because the point of the debate was to debate on whether or not the debate was pointless. Cuz logic.
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
yh rly
Posted by dtaylor971 1 year ago
dtaylor971
Wait what rly
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Zarroette=vi_spex
Posted by Commondebator 1 year ago
Commondebator
whoops never mind, its Zarroette

I could not believe my eyes for a moment
Posted by Commondebator 1 year ago
Commondebator
Vi_Spex?! Whaa....
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 1 year ago
BLAHthedebator
General-ZZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed that Pro had way too much of a burden to prove that this debate was pointless (and thus making it not pointless because Pro had to prove why it is). Any point, whether of little or big impact, is still a point and thus this debate is not pointless.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
General-ZZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had adequate conduct throughout. S&G - Tie. Both had proper spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Con. Con was able to show that the debate was not pointless. This was done by Con raising the point that, "I maintain that the point of this debate is to debate whether this debate has meaning. In doing so, this debate acquires meaning in determining meaning." Pro never addressed this point, thus it was dropped by Pro. Furthermore, Pro responds by utilizing a different definition, yet the definition in itself was already covered by Con's previous argument that it indeed does have meaning. Since Pro never overcame the challenges by Con and failing to maintain the BOP, Con wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Both utilized sources with the aim of clarification.
Vote Placed by Tweka 1 year ago
Tweka
General-ZZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro utterly drops Con's negation.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
General-ZZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro dropped all of Con's negation, so arguments to Con.
Vote Placed by bsh1 1 year ago
bsh1
General-ZZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that Con's point here stands: "I maintain that the point of this debate is to debate whether this debate has meaning. In doing so, this debate acquires meaning in determining meaning." At the moment where this debate has any meaning, no matter how impactful that meaning is outside the debate space, it is not "pointless" per se. Con wins.