C.Hitch
Sallyyyoussef7

This house believes in freedom.

C.Hitch

Pro

Ladies and gentlemen, it has come to my attention that in our modern word, there is a massive counter-movement against what is rightfully and utterly human. The suppression of human speech and thought is a thing of great shame and repulsion, thus my motion for the day as "This house believes in freedom of speech". I would like to start my speech with a very key aspect: Never in human history has a calamity been solved without the intervention and speaking out of a group or even an individual against the system.

1) An example of bravery and outspoken nature of human beings, would be the great citizens of Nazi Germany who openly criticized Hitler's action is ridiculous and violent. Those amazing people might have been jailed, tortured, or even killed, but their actions lead to a series of events that shook the dictatorship and tyranny of Nazi Germany; a lot of German citizens started helping Jews to escape. This is just one example of many, for a couple of decades ago a man named Gandhi lead a message of peace in a world at war, by showing how you can topple governments and systems by changing to a peaceful philosophy ONLY through the course of speech, speech that went up against what was accepted as law.

2) We also have to realize that we live in amazing times. Times where innovation and human experience go hand in hand. Without the virtue of human expression there wouldn't have been the multitude and multicultural diversity and beauty we have today. This platform for interchanging of ideas, and potential has allowed innovation to spur throughout our world. This could have only happened if every culture, race, ethnicity, person was allowed the right to speak and express his opinion in a respective form. An individual is no longer suppressed by thoughts of oppression and silence, but delighted that his word is allowed to spread, and that his freedom of speech assured.

3) I would like to end my first line of argument by stating that now is not the time to be silent, we will have plenty of that in the comfort of our graves.
Sallyyyoussef7

Con

Ladies and gentlemen, may I just emphasize on how my opponent has mentioned, and I quote, "platform for interchanging of ideas". It in indeed a PLATFORM for us to express our opinions. A platform where restrictions and limitations do not exist, where everyone who's willing to share a thought, in any way possible, does so. It is a platform which arises offensiveness, disorder, disrespect and harassment parallel to the actual action of speaking aloud. It is no longer the eagerness to express an opinion or intervene, as you might claim, but it has been proven to cause more damage then good.

As was mentioned by my opponent as well; Gandhi and Hitler were well known figures. The whole purpose behind the freedom of speech is for your voice to be heard, loud and clear. I'm sure you'll agree that some people will inevitably have better reputation and will be heard more clearly, while others will tend to be excluded. One of the principles that freedom of speech (and freedom generally) tries to highlight is equality. It is unfair, for when others factors kick in, that everyone does not have an equal opportunity to be heard. What's the whole point of freedom of speech then? Freedom and equality are, and shall always be, two sides of the same coin.

In addition, there is dominant power in the hands of the mass media. When a minority does express an opinion, it tends to be on television, news letters and movie media within seconds; Indifferent to the actual context of the speech, the accountability or the method of delivery. Whether what was said was based on facts or not, disrespectful or not, It will turn into a sense of enforcing opinions which indeed opposes the definition of freedom. Not only does it do so, lies and illusions can be spread and with today's media, they are hard to miss. Furthermore, One minute you can find someone up there talking about rhetoric emergencies, for instance, and the next you find riots filling the streets based on a prospective someone mentioned, that may or may not be true. But nevertheless, safety will be disrupted either way. Safety, which was one of the main rights demanded when the french revolution arose.

Freedom's sole purpose is to enhance life without harassment and intimidation; to live a life of social harmony, equality, mutual respect and protection of one's values. Would it not be ironic to call it freedom when it disgraces all of those principles? Would it no be ironic to preach about freedom of speech when it does the complete opposite in cases?

May I leave you with a reminder of how "Rights must be limited by the respect for others and by the needs of the society" as the British Lord Bhikhu Parekh wrote.
C.Hitch

Pro

C.Hitch forfeited this round.
Sallyyyoussef7

Con

Sallyyyoussef7 forfeited this round.
C.Hitch

Pro

C.Hitch forfeited this round.
Sallyyyoussef7

Con

Sallyyyoussef7 forfeited this round.