cloudsrreal
meatballBlue

This house believes that animal testing should continue.

meatballBlue has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

cloudsrreal

Con

Animals have been repeatedly used for testing such as in biomedical research before applying to humans.

Proponents of animal testing would probably say that animal testing enabled the development of numerous life-saving treatments. However, I am of the view that animal testing is inhumane and can also yield irrelevant results. Therefore, animal testing should not continue.
meatballBlue

Pro

It is a good idea to keep this because without doing this, because without it many people alive today quite frankly would not without it.

Here's a brief list scratching the surface of what animal research has cured for humanity:

1790 Vaccine for Smallpox Developed (Cow ), without it 15,000,000 people alive today would be paralyzed
1880 Vaccine for Anthrax Developed (Sheep )
1956 Open Heart Surgery and Cardiac Pacemakers Developed (Dog ), about 500,000 lives saved annually
1888 Vaccine for Rabies Developed (Dog, Rabbit )
1968 Rubella Vaccine Developed (Monkey )
1989 Organ Transplantation Advances Developed (Dog, Sheep, Cow, Pig)*, around 170,000

For full list visit http://www.ca-biomed.org...

This was like a nickel of the list that barely covers it all (I don't want to put them all you can see them for yourselves), and a huge point you are completely looking past is the sheer number of lives (both animal and human) lives were saved with vaccines tested by animals. By saying you want o stop the testing of animals you are literally saying you want to discontinue research on large scale deceases such as Cancer, and Hepatitis C, along with surgical procedures. Long story short, the number of lives saved by these tests are a lot larger than those who were tested.

Many vegans and animal rights activists suggest testing people and not animals, but there are many very obvious reasons why this isn't the case, in fact I believe they are just playing dumb when they say this. First off, it is better to sacrifice a rat than a human, you know it is true please don't play dumb with me. Secondly, since people are free willed and can do whatever they want, how would you even obtain them? Kidnapping? What if one escapes that might turn out very badly (for full list on what that would look like, please visit the walking dead). That leads me to my next point, how would that even work? Kidnap everyone named Jeffery? And plus a law legalizing doing that to humans will never work.

You may say, "well, why can't researchers just test like human blood cells". They do, that is where a lot of donated blood goes, but there are a few major problems with this approach. This can only really treat blood related illnesses, blood is nothing more than plasma, a couple of white blood cells and a lot of red blood cells, it is not some magical substance that contains all the secrets of life where you can find the full cure of all cancers. Next point: okay great it works on blood samples, now you have to test it on real life living things in order to determine weather it works on that or not. This is self explanatory, what if it has drastic kidney side effects that kill the subject immediately, or maybe it doesn't work because of the vibration of the heart idk I'm not a doctor.

Now to address your argument.

Well yeah, for the reasons I explained above nobody would agree on doing it resulting in the slowing down or even halting of medical research

The benefits (life saving treatments) outweigh the detriments (using test subjects)

In the end, I believe animal testing should always continue. Mice are yes, 98% human like and primates are 99 % . Doing this increases both the quality and length of life for both humans and animals.

cloudsrreal

Con

I would agree that animal research has given humans great cure as described by proponent. I would agree that animal testing had a positive impact in saving human lives . However, it would be wise to note that given the great advances in science and technology today, it would be impossible to believe that there are no alternatives to animal testing.

Point: Research can be done effectively without experimenting on any living creature

As of now, there are methods such as growing and testing human tissue cultures rather than on animals. Hence, there is no longer a need for animals to be experimented on. We now know the chemical properties of most substances, and powerful computers allow us to predict the outcome of chemical interactions. Experimenting on live tissue culture also allows us to gain insight as to how living cells react when exposed to different substances, with no animals required.

There have been many examples of success in research which does not require animal testing. Here are some examples:

The National Research Council advocates testing on human cells rather than animals and the council also encourages companies to make the switch. One great achievement was the 3-dimensional model of breast cancer so scientist are able to study cancer in its earliest stage which allows scientists to test for possible treatment. Instead of using animals like rats to study cancer, the 3D model uses actual human tissue. Actual human tissue would well be a much more effective medium for experimentation compared to other animals which could provide a more reliable guide to the likely impact on a human subject. This could bring research to a whole new level.
(References: https://academic.oup.com...)

Addressing the proponent's point of sacrificing a rat would be better than a human, it would seem to me that a human have more rights than a rat. However, I feel that animals have as much right to life as human beings. Animals do behave in ways that can convey meaning just like a typical human. For instance, animals recoil from pain or appear to express fear from being tormented. If animals can feel what a human can feel, shouldn't they not be discriminated just because they belong to a different species? Like humans, animals are sentient beings. So, animal testing should not continue as animals have their rights too.

Addressing the proponents second point about people are free willed. Of course, it is against human rights to test on humans. However, given the advances in technology as mentioned in the point made in the beginning, I believe there are better ways to do testing rather than on animals.

To sum this up, I feel that animal testing should not continue given the fact that science and technology have been so advanced which provides us with much more testing alternatives as compared to in the past, where science and technology are more backward. Animals have as much right to life as human beings and given the fact that there are other alternatives, people could make a much better choice that would allow us to reap a greater benefits.