This house believes that forgiving is better than revenge

alonnah1919 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

As Confucius said, 'Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves'

There is a great value in every act of forgiveness.

Forgiving is the act of realizing that what has happened has already happened and that there is no point in letting it dominate the rest of your lives.

Revenge is the desire to get even when someone does you wrong. It"s only natural to feel angry, to say 'I"m not going to let him get away with this'. However, revenge reduces you to your worst self, puts you on the same level with those spiteful people who you claim to regard with hatred.

Now the question arises, what about those terrible crimes? Terrorist attacks, molestation, abuses, extra?

Do we forgive them?

There is a defined line between forgiveness and justice. Forgiving doesn't mean you'll sit there and helplessly forgive. No. Forgiving is taking justice without committing any of the sins you yourself.

Let's says there were a bombing in one country and another country was blamed for this. Often, the families of the victims want to attack the country or the place back for revenge.

So now what? One country attacks the other country. This country calls for war and attacks back.

Adding to that, Revenge also has harsh aftereffects. Whether it's on a low scale, say a student revenge in school, or a high scale just like the example I mentioned.

This is a never-ending chain. And this is what Confucius meant when he said, "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."

Thus, I would like to conclude by stating that forgiving hasn't hurt anyone. The same can't be said for Revenge.

I await my opponent's response.

Revenge is what makes the war go on forever. If one want revenge and attacks the other. Them, naturally the other would want to fight back. It'll go back and forth forever. If someone eventually forgives and and forgets than the war would end. You sacrifice so many things in a fight. The opponent might eventually take something you really care about, and the escalate the war. It's better to forgive than to get revenge.

I am afraid my opponent has misinterpreted the topic. Fellow opponent, you are going against the topic. Thus, if you are agreeing that forgiving is better, then I have already won by the fact that Forgiving is better than revenge is my statement. Please see if you admit defeat or you wish to change.
Posted by hfordney 1 week ago
I'm making a comment here but really I would have liked to contend in this debate. I will take the con position, that forgiveness is not better than revenge.

Let me make it clear that I see both sides of this issue but am playing a devil's advocate.

I have a saying, which goes like this: "A certain religion of this age praises forgiveness as the highest of all virtues. But it is only equal to the other virtues and in fact is a matter of last resort: precisely for when virtue fails, or a man fails virtue".

Forgiveness if overrated. If you forgive too much, it defeats the point of having standards at all.

That doesn't clearly say however that revenge is better than forgiveness, but I believe that is also true.

The object of forgiveness and revenge can be understood as the same. They seek to reach a state of peace and reconciliation. Now forgiveness works by no longer seeing the wrongdoer as wrong, or an enemy. Revenge eliminates the enemy.

I think elimination is a better strategy. It's bound to be more foolproof. Why leave a chance that the person has changed, and instead why not satisfy your feelings by not turning the other cheek, but giving the person a smack yourself?

People commonly cite some old sayings to defend forgiveness. "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". This saying is interesting because it actually comes from the oldest Western text on politics, The Code of Hammurabi. What's funny is that the Code actually emphasizes that this should be the way of resolving disputes. It was commonplace in that time for the offended to overcompensate, to take two eyes for an eye. So the code suggested making the punishment equal.

What's wrong with that? Don't we all have the right to be treated fairly and be held responsible for our actions? They took an eye, so they deserve to lose one. They get what was coming to them. I find that quite a reasonable response.