jemareal
draxxt

This house believes that the American troops should not leave Iraq.

draxxt

jemareal

Con

the american troops should leave iraq becuase their job is done already.
draxxt

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for producing this debate. Now, before I get to my contentions, I would like to address my opponent's Speech.

"the american troops should leave iraq becuase their job is done already."

What job? Right now, the American troops are maintaining peach and stability in the middle east after we so rudely invaded them... I know, not funny... In any case, I believe we're doing just fine. Our job as the leading superpower is to assure the well-being of other countries. In this case, we're cleaning up our mess. Also, to address my opponent's talk of our job being done, if you want to argue that every job we set out to do is completed, you'd have no leg to stand on. AQI (Al Queda Iraq activity) is down 75%. That is a large number, however, it's not 100%.

I would now like to move on to my contentions.

1) We have enough troops.

2) The cost of war for OUR troops is not an astronomical amount.

3) Congress alone retains the right to decide when we may pull out.

Contention 1 goes as follows:

Do you realise that we have 600,000 troops in reserves? We don't need any more for whatever reason there may be, we have trained soldiers on call at any time should a crisis occur on home soil. We currently have around 150,000 troops in deployment, and only about 90,000 of which are in Iraq. We are known for our specialization so I do believe we'll be fine.

Contention 2:

We're only spending about 4 Billion dollars a year on our troops. That is not that much and is a necessary cost should we complete our task. Taking our troops home early would, therefore, prove all the money we have spent, wasteful.

Contention 3:

According to the War Powers Act, Congress alone has the right to decide who goes into war and for how long. Until Congress sees it fit to pull our troops, we must agree that through bipartisan legislature, we are to stay as long as Congress sees necessary.

In accordance with the above reasons and refutations I hereby urge a Pro ballot.

I await a rebuttal from my opponent and once again, thank you for producing this debate.

~EG
jemareal

Con

Thank you for accepting the debate.�

Please point your Contention 2.

I just heard one of Obama's speech and he said "we will continue to SPEND ten billion dollars a month in Iraq.."
isn't that a large amount of money?

The majority of Iraqis wants the American troops out. It is becoming increasingly obvious the Iraqi government feels the need to do exactly nothing as long as the AT are there to keep everything under control. Terrorism reports claim that you are increasing the danger to America with your presence there and are a magnet and recruiting poster for foreign terrorists.

Also, there are AT in South Korea and they maintain the peace there because the people there are cooperating. If the Iraqi really wants to be at peace with Americans, then they should know how to cooperate. But why are there still people dying? too many people dying.. I think the AT has done their part already and it's up to the Iraqi people if they want to do what the americans had thought them. Too many lives have been sacrificed already.

With this, I say that the American troops should leave Iraq.
draxxt

Pro

draxxt forfeited this round.
jemareal

Con

jemareal forfeited this round.
draxxt

Pro

Thank you for both your patience and your rebuttal. I am, once again, sorry that I missed our R2 but as I've stated before, I don't own a computer.

Now, I would like to begin addressing my opponent's claims.

"I just heard one of Obama's speech and he said "we will continue to SPEND ten billion dollars a month in Iraq.."
isn't that a large amount of money?"

Considering that, according to the national budgetary committee and http://www.gpoaccess.gov..., The national budget is 3.1 trillion dollars, 120 billion dollars a year is not that much.

"The majority of Iraqis wants the American troops out. It is becoming increasingly obvious the Iraqi government feels the need to do exactly nothing as long as the AT are there to keep everything under control. Terrorism reports claim that you are increasing the danger to America with your presence there and are a magnet and recruiting poster for foreign terrorists."

As per the Iraqi government, they may want us out but in the very same manner, the government of German, after the death of Hitler, did not want the United States, Britain, or Russia to be there. What we find is that through our efforts in a government we sought to overthrow in order to better said country, we virtually eliminated the debt and now we see a thriving Germany. This country that rejected us has, in time and due to our involvement, has become a much better place.

I say all of this to make a point. We're doing this to benefit their country whether they like it at the moment or not.

Also, in response to the claim that it is dangerous to stay, have I not already stated that AQI is down 75%. This being said, should you not agree that the likelihood of an attack on America or our troops has gone down drastically? Also, we see a need to stay. The less activity being produced by these extremist militias, the better.

"Also, there are AT in South Korea and they maintain the peace there because the people there are cooperating. If the Iraqi really wants to be at peace with Americans, then they should know how to cooperate. But why are there still people dying? too many people dying.. I think the AT has done their part already and it's up to the Iraqi people if they want to do what the americans had thought them. Too many lives have been sacrificed already."

What works in South Korea doesn't necessarily work in Iraq. We're not forcing any civilians to do anything they don't want to do.

Also, I should elaborate. The Iraqi people and their quasi government don't want us out. Those who oppose America do. The Extremists and the Terrorists. Muslim people typically lead a very positive life. Those hard-working good people who just want to live in peace support us. The Extremists? They are the minority. A mere nothing as it may be since we've interfered. You want to talk about the well being of a country? How dare you! We are there, protecting the masses from those who seek to do harm, not only to us, but to their own brethren. How dare you say we are only hurting this country and its people. If you would stop looking at the media propaganda and actually pay attention to what the people want, you'll find your opinion to be quite contrary to what you are advocating.

I'm sorry for becoming a little too emotionally involved as the case may be.

I would also like to point out that my contentions have gone uncontested. Ergo, what little evidence my opponent has provided her own case has fallen under my refutations whereas mine go un-refuted.

I now thank the judges for taking the time to read and critique this debate. I forgot to ask that you each side with who produced a better argument, not on personal bias.

Thank you and good luck to my opponent in the R4.

Thanks again
~EG
jemareal

Con

jemareal forfeited this round.
draxxt

Pro

Oh... Um, okay?

"Thank you for both your patience and your rebuttal. I am, once again, sorry that I missed our R2 but as I've stated before, I don't own a computer.

isn't that a large amount of money?"

Considering that, according to the national budgetary committee and http://www.gpoaccess.gov......, The national budget is 3.1 trillion dollars, 120 billion dollars a year is not that much.

Thanks again
~EG"

Okay, so, that's that. See you, hopefully, in the R5...
jemareal

Con

jemareal forfeited this round.
draxxt

Pro

"jemareal forfeited this round."

I mean, honestly, that says it all. Vote Pro.

Thanks a lot

Extend that, extend that!

Thanks,
~EG
Posted by draxxt 8 years ago
draxxt
Sorry for not responding. I don't actually own a computer.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
isn't that a large amount of money?"

No. Not at all. We have a 13 trillion dollar budget or something like that. 120 billion a year is a drop in the bucket.
Posted by Nik 8 years ago
Nik
ughh, "our job as the leading superpower is to maintain the well being of other countries" just like the russians in easten europe, they did a great job....
Vote Placed by draxxt 8 years ago
draxxt
jemarealdraxxtTied