djmajestik
wierdman

This house believes when in conflict, media responsibility iimportant than freedom of speech

wierdman
Started: 1/21/2012 Category: News

djmajestik

Pro

Hi guys Im new and a beginner at this. This is just practice for me for my school so I look for some constructive feedback Thanks.

Resolve: This house believes that when in conflict, media responsibility is more important than freedom of speech. Conflict is defined as trouble like war. Media is defined as News (anything news related TV, radio, & newspaper). Freedom of speech = 1st amendment.

Freedom of speech is something that we the citizen of the US get to have as it states in the 1st amendment but, how much of freedom do we have? In times of war many of us have to try to understand why our nation does the things it does in times of war which is to focus on the security and protection of our nation; therefore, media responsibility is more important than freedom of speech.

The media must not do anything to cause or do harm to our nation. This would mean government has to intervene with what can be released this would include not causing any release of false statements, release of secrets, and setting boundaries with what is said .

An example during times of world war 1 Charles Schenck, was the general secretary of the Socialist Party of America, participated in many antiwar activities in violation of the Espionage Act, including the mailing of about 15,000 leaflets urging draftees and soldiers to resist the draft. He was arrested and charged with "causing and attempting to cause insubordination in the military and naval forces of the United States" and with disturbing the draft. He was arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to prison for violating the Espionage Act of 1917, and he appealed his case to the Supreme Court.

Also, according to the CIA, in times of war, controlling public information that an enemy might exploit to undermine the conduct of military operations, strategic policy, or homeland defense, becomes as important as managing official secrets. The current war on terrorism is no different. Information once considered innocuous—such as structural data for stadiums, bridges, and public works—is now considered to have an intelligence value for terrorists.

We, who became citizens of this country, should be supportive and understanding to our nation in time of need and not betray.
wierdman

Con

"he United States is the only nation capable of unilaterally conducting large-scale, effective military operations far beyond its borders. There is and will continue to be a great demand for U.S. forces, not only to protect the United States from direct threats and to help maintain peace and stability in regions critical to U.S. interests, but also to help support multinational efforts to bring peace to regions torn by ethnic, tribal, or religious conflicts and to ameliorate human suffering." http://www.dod.mil...
To round the debate, I will like to start by stating voters.

1. I won because I provided evidence to support my case which was one of my opponents rules.
2. My opponent did not follow this rule so he automatically looses.
3. I simply stated my position thus completing my opponents second rule.
4. My opponent forfeited.

Thank you and I hope to debate you in future debates.
djmajestik

Pro

djmajestik forfeited this round.
wierdman

Con

I am sorry for my last round. It was a huge mistake.

Unto my argument.

The resolution of this debate, was to either affirm that media responsibility was and continued to be valued above the freedom of speech by the house. With this said, we can clearly see how my opponent argued against the realm of the resolution. No where did my opponent discuss a scenario in which the media was valued over the freedom of speech.

My opponent defined the freedom of speech as "equal" to the first amendment in the sense that the first amendment is freedom of speech. Within the first amendment is the freedom of the press which as defined by my opponent is the media. Defending freedom of press is essential defending freedom of speech as defined by my opponent.

My opponent brought up the fact that "The media must not do anything to cause or do harm to our nation. This would mean government has to intervene with what can be released this would include not causing any release of false statements, release of secrets, and setting boundaries with what is said ." When looking deeply and analyzing this fact, we can clearly see that it is not meant to serve as a violation of the first amendment, but meant to serve as a protector to the principles ensured by the declaration of independence. upon looking at the media responsibility which is the belief that mass media have a basic responsibility to help strengthen and support democratic processes, we find that controlling the information they leak into the public, helps protect the United States citizens as 1. it stops the leak of information to the opposing country
2. It avoids mass public panic, thus making the job of the military easier as the government attention and resources isn't spread out but directed to the problem at hand.

Upon achieving these two goals, the United States is able to maintain the democratic principles that it upholds thus allowing for the freedom of speech.

"An example during times of world war 1 Charles Schenck, was the general secretary of the Socialist Party of America, participated in many antiwar activities in violation of the Espionage Act, including the mailing of about 15,000 leaflets urging draftees and soldiers to resist the draft. He was arrested and charged with "causing and attempting to cause insubordination in the military and naval forces of the United States" and with disturbing the draft. He was arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to prison for violating the Espionage Act of 1917, and he appealed his case to the Supreme Court."

This scenario only proves that the control of the information leaked is beneficial to the United States. Had it being that Charles succeeded, he would have placed the United States in a very vulnerable position which in turn would threaten the freedom of speech. Media responsibility is not viewed as a superior to the freedom of speech, but as a guidance to maintain and uphold the freedom that we all so cherish.

Thank you. (character limits)
djmajestik

Pro

djmajestik forfeited this round.
wierdman

Con

My opponent has fofieted his last round, thus all arguments made in the previous round still stands. Thank you and vote con
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Why does the resolution say, "This house?"
Posted by djmajestik 5 years ago
djmajestik
its ok im just trying to see if i can run this debate because its the same one Ill be having soon
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
I am soo sorry I posted the wrong argument.
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
Vote Placed by headphonegut 5 years ago
headphonegut
djmajestikwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit