cathaystewie
P.Ellis

This house would legalise prostitution

cathaystewie

Pro

This debate will concern the legitimacy of prostitution in the context of a legal profession and industry in general. Please bear in mind that this debate is exempted of any particular country and/or its laws and cultural perceptions on the act of prostitution, and will instead focus on the nature of prostitution. Therefore, contentions such as feasibility and practicality in terms of enforcing legal prostitution services is not valid in this debate.

Round 1 will be used for acceptance, addressing any queries, and pre-debate negotiations. The remaining three rounds may be utilised in any way that both parties deem fit. However, it is preferred that rebuttals be conducted at the start of the debate instead of being embedded within the main arguments.

Some basic rules to follow:
  1. Please keep a polite way of words at all times and practice common etiquette
  2. Please cite all sources used. This applies for statistics, quotes, surveys, and so on.
  3. If one should forfeit a round, please provide a reason in the comments sections.
I wish my opponent the best of luck, and look forward to the debate!
P.Ellis

Con

Alright, thank you for setting up the debate, I am pleased to say I accept.

I have queries, do you intend to allow arguments based on religion, morality, ideology etc. or do you ban that when you say it is not linked to any country?
secondly, surely practicality is an important topic for discussing if we are arguing over legalising a profession?

It is always pleasant to debate with someone who intends to be polite. I hope we will be try our utmost to remain civil throughout the debate, and there will be no hard feelings from either party, whatever the outcome.

I am just confirming I have no bias either way on this topic, I do not know anyone who practices prostitution, neither am I aware anyone I know has strong opinions on the subject, and I shall just argue out of the reasonable arguments available against the proposal.

Thank you again for setting up this debate. Patrick Ellis
cathaystewie

Pro

cathaystewie forfeited this round.
P.Ellis

Con

P.Ellis forfeited this round.
cathaystewie

Pro

cathaystewie forfeited this round.
P.Ellis

Con

P.Ellis forfeited this round.
cathaystewie

Pro

cathaystewie forfeited this round.
P.Ellis

Con

P.Ellis forfeited this round.
Posted by P.Ellis 1 year ago
P.Ellis
yes, i would be very happy to do that, in fact i have had a lot of coursework in during the last week, so haven't been able to debate either, but please do restart and we can restart, presumably we can go straight into the debate now we know what the rules are
Posted by cathaystewie 1 year ago
cathaystewie
Hi Patrick,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for forfeiting my round. It has come to my attention that I had insufficient time in the past 2 days due to numerous exams. Would you be willing to debate with me on the same motion if I were to reinstate this debate?

Thank you for your understanding and apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Posted by cathaystewie 1 year ago
cathaystewie
Hi Patrick!

Thanks for taking on this debate! I'm just here to answer a few of your queries.

The reason why I say that practicality should be excluded from this debate is because the degree of difficulty when it comes to legalising prostitution varies from country to country owing to various factors like social stigma and existing laws. Since this is a global debate and it is not desirable to have one country as the status quo for prostitution, I believe that we should steer clear of practicality.

The same can be applied to the issue of religion. There is no universal religious standard that the entire world complies with, thus eroding the global nature of this debate. The last thing we want this debate to turn into is an argument over which religions are more legitimate than others. Morality and ideology is accepted, however, as long as one can justify that what they define as "moral" is also recognised by the majority of the world's population. A statement such as "child prostitution is immoral" is acceptable as it is apparent that almost everyone would agree with this.

Once again, thanks for electing to be my opponent.

I will be posting my debate in a day or two. Gotta power through my finals!