kayakerhu
xsn

This house would not abolish capital punishment

kayakerhu

Pro

Capital punishment is one of the oldest forms of punishing criminals. It has stood the test of centuries as one of the biggest deterrent against crimes. . Death penalty is the ultimate warning. Death penalty provides closure for victims. Death penalty is the best answer to murder and to other serious offences. Death sentence is the ultimate joker of juridical systems. Although i believe that death sentence has its downs, i believe that no N GO or even the UN has the right to restrict a sovereign nation' juridical system.
All states have the right to practice their own laws that are in accordance with their state religion, believes and certain borders of international law.
xsn

Con

I will be accepting this challenge with all my understanding of the motion given by the instigator . But before I go on with my speech, let me first greet you, good day !
Given the motion that this house would not abolish capital punishment , i , on the negative side , strongly oppose the motion.
First reason is that capital punishment is a violation of the right to life, as enshrined by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This is explicitly accepted in a variety of international treaties including the European Convention on Human Rights protocols 6 and 13, the Charter of Fundamental rights of the European Union, the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Aside from that there is no valid reason on why we need not to abolish capital punishment.
kayakerhu

Pro

Non of what that you mentioned are bidding. (except for EU) International treaties should only give guide lines. It is my believe's that no nation that practices death penalty is currently violating international law.
You mention the universal declaration of human rights. Its a 100 year old document that has no concrete on capital punishment, well as the Koran or the bible talk about this problem centuries before Universal declaration of human rights or ICCPR.
xsn

Con

No matter how old it gets it still remains as a law and whatever each of us believes does not make our arguments reliable because of merely stating your own opinion rather than just supporting your arguments with facts.
Moreover, are you aware of the reason of every country on using death penalty? Most of them uses death penalty to punish persons who had committed big crimes , especially murder, right ? Death penalty is their aid to show people that they are against murder. They want to show people that murder is bad, right ? They want to tell people to stop murdering , but don't you think that they make no difference with the criminal if they use death penalty? They want to show that murdering is bad, but what will they do is also murdering . What are they, a muderers' murderer ?
kayakerhu

Pro

Facts: Japan has the lowest amount of per capita murders. there are numerous researches that death penalty HAS deterrence. everyone's afraid of death. If a criminal cripples a person and knows that whatever he dos he will not get a more severe punishment, he might murder the person. But if he knows that if he kills his victim, he will get a death punishment, he might think twice. In the USA we have people put on a death row trying to postpone there rightful punishment as long as they can. I ask again? Is not almost everyone afraid of death?
An other issue: Lets look at Norway. Andreis Breivik murdered 77 innocent people. he got sentenced to 20 years of prison. If he would have murdered ten he would have got the same sentence. I ask: is it rightful that a person who kills 10 gets the same punishment as 77?
If we talk about the right to life. If some one gets murdered, nobody ask him about his right to life. If we look from this angle , does the murderer have the right to life?
there are systems with this is used in a good way. Lets look at Iran. In Iran if someone murders , and is sentenced to death, the victims family may forgive him, and then his sentence will change to X years in prison depending on the crime.
Doesn't the victims family have the right for closure?
xsn

Con

My opponent is arguing that death penalty deters crimes, am I right ? He said that it effectively deters crimes since according to him , everyone is afraid of death. Let me cite one fact. States such as Texas and Oklahoma, which have very high execution rates, also have higher crime rates than most states that do not have the death penalty. With just that mere fact, where is the proof that it deters crime? There are many reasons to doubt the deterrent effect of Capital Punishment. Even if criminals are afraid of death penalty, it's not clear that a harsher punishment would effectively deter murders. Heinous crimes often occur in the heat of the moment, with little consideration for their legal repercussions. Further, for a deterrent to be effective, it would have to be immediate and certain. This is not the case with the death penalty cases, which often involve prolonged appeals and sometimes end in acquittals. Many of the studies that purport to show the deterrence effect are flawed, because the impact of capital punishment cannot be disentangled from other factors such as broader social trends, economic factors and demographic changes in a region.
As we end this debate , let me state that I am still on the negative side ! Thank you :)
Posted by xsn 3 years ago
xsn
Thank you kayakerhu for the oppurtunity to debate with you :)