chesslvr
thett3

This is not a debate.

thett3

chesslvr

Pro

This is not a debate. Please accept this debate if you want to argue that it indeed is a debate. The guidelines are as follows: 5 rounds, 5 hours(altogether) to argue, and 5,000 characters. Good luck :)
thett3

Con

This is indeed a debate. Pro hasn't defined debate, so I'm going to.

Definition of debate: A form of interaction on debate.org that can appear on the first page, not the forums or a privaste message.

Heres some evidence: I am shown these things when looking at this page:

" Report this Debate"

" Do you like this debate?"

" This debate has 8 more rounds before the voting begins. If you want to receive email updates for this debate, click the Add to My Favorites link at the top of the page."

"No comments have been posted on this debate."

"
Debating Period"

chesslvr

Pro

I would like to thank thett3 for accepting this interaction which is not a debate. This should be interesting. I am new to this website, so don't have too high expectations of me.

I would first like to point out that my opponent is right about everything, except his definition of a debate. Not only did my opponent not provide any sources for this so-called definition, but it is not correct. Dictionary.com defines debate as, and I quote, "a formal contest in which the affirmative sides and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers" Another definition says "a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints. I wholeheartedly agree with my opponent that this in fact a debate, because we have opposing viewpoints. One of us is arguing that this IS a debate, and one of us is arguing that it ISN'T. We have opposing viewpoints, so this must be a debate.

My opponent then says that buttons such as "Report this Debate", "Do you like this debate", and "No comments have been posted on this debate" prove that it is a debate. I suppose he's right. He will get no argument from me.

Notice how, because I have not challenged any of my opponent's points, and I agreed that it IS a debate, and my opponent also thinks it's a debate, it therefore really isn't a debate, because there is no clash. The whole point of debating is to argue on something, and I'm not arguing with anything he says.

Another thing I would like to point out is that my opponent does not have the following things in his opening argument: a value, contentions, and a criteria. Since these are all crucial parts of a debate, this can't be a debate.

I look forward to my opponent's reply. Please vote for him. Everything he says is right.
thett3

Con

Why this is a debate

(i)

My Opponent concedes to all my points in an attempt to show that this is not a debate because no dispute is happening. The problem with this is that my arguments proved that this was a debate.

(ii)

Secondly, my opponent states: "I would first like to point out that my opponent is right about everything, except his definition of a debate. Not only did my opponent not provide any sources for this so-called definition, but it is not correct."

I think my definition is perfect, and better than all of hers. You have to vote con, my definition is 10 times better.

(iii)

"My opponent then says that buttons such as "Report this Debate", "Do you like this debate", and "No comments have been posted on this debate" prove that it is a debate. I suppose he's right. He will get no argument from me." Vote Con.

(iv)

"Notice how, because I have not challenged any of my opponent's points, and I agreed that it IS a debate, and my opponent also thinks it's a debate, it therefore really isn't a debate, because there is no clash." Problem- The resolution is "This is not a debate" you are taking Pro. You can't argue that it is a debate or else your position is self contradicting.

(v)

" Another thing I would like to point out is that my opponent does not have the following things in his opening argument: a value, contentions, and a criteria. Since these are all crucial parts of a debate, this can't be a debate." Did so. Look closer!

(vi)

"Everything he says is right." I'm female.
chesslvr

Pro

The duck in your picture is really cute. Don't you hate tarantulas? They look absolutely monstrous. I mean, they LITERALLY look like little beasties. They have too many legs, and they're all hairy and gross. I had a dream when I was little that there was this tarantula, and it started out with 8 legs, but as time went by the amount of legs it had doubled, until there was nothing but a tangled mass of hairy legs. Ever since then, I acquired a hatred for tarantulas and just spiders in general.

By the way, how did you come up with your username? What does "thett3" mean?

Oh yea, I forgot about that interaction we were having that isn't a debate.

I agree with everything my opponent said

Vote Con. Don't vote for me. My opponent is an astoundingly intelligent woman, who has come up with such solid, undisputable arguments, that I can not even challenge them. I look forward to my opponent's reply.
thett3

Con

" I mean, they LITERALLY look like little beasties." No they dont they're cool!!!!!!

" They have too many legs" No trust me, having 8 legs rules.

" and they're all hairy and gross." I disagree.

" I had a dream when I was little that there was this tarantula, and it started out with 8 legs, but as time went by the amount of legs it had doubled, until there was nothing but a tangled mass of hairy legs. Ever since then, I acquired a hatred for tarantulas and just spiders in general." You're making tht up.

"By the way, how did you come up with your username? What does "thett3" mean?" It's based off something I called myself when I was a small child.

"Oh yea, I forgot about that interaction we were having that isn't a debate." Is so!!

"I agree with everything my opponent said" I said earlier (R1): "This is indeed a debate. " So vote Con.

". My opponent is an astoundingly intelligent woman" I'm not a woman! I'm a guy!!

I have disputed everything my Opponent has said.This is a debate.

More evidence:

" chesslvr is debating thett3: This is not a debate.58 minutes ago"

" chesslvr wants to debate the following topic: This is not a debate.1 hour ago"

" chesslvr's Debates"

"
chesslvr

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his/her speedy reply. I am now going to provide reasons why this isn't a debate

1) In my previous argument, I strayed off topic and starting saying a bunch of random things about tarantulas, usernames, and pictures of ducks. In a real debate, people don't go off topic like that. I want to point out that my opponent in his next argument entertained my comments about tarantulas, by disagreeing with me that they were scary and monstrous. Therefore we were having a conversation and not a debate, because I couldn't even stick to the topic

2) There has been a pathetic lack of clash in this non-debate. As I said earlier, once you take all the arguing out of a debate, it ceases to be a debate but instead becomes a discussion. In a debate, 2 people have opposing sides and try to prove why their side is right. I failed to do that in this non-debate. During both Round 1 and Round 2, I didn't challenge anything my opponent said, I simply started talking about tarantulas, and said "I agree with everything my opponent says"

3) My opponent says that he has disputed everything I said, therefore this is a debate. However, he was not disputing the subject at hand( whether or not this is a debate) he was simply disputing my off-topic rambling about tarantulas and other irrelevant stuff that nobody cares about. Also, my opponent did dispute what I said, yes, but the disputing and the arguments are one-sided. Notice how my opponent is making an attempt to argue with me, but I have not made any effort at all in this non-debate.

And, finally I would like to remind my opponent that the definition of a debate is having opposing viewpoints. Since I have been continuously insisting that the voters vote for my opponent, and my opponent also wants them to vote for him/her, then this can not be a debate because we both want the voters to vote for thett3. I therefore affirm the resolution that "This is not a debate." Vote Con. I look forward to my opponent's reply.
thett3

Con

Replies

1.

" In a real debate, people don't go off topic like that." I disagree.

" in his next argument entertained my comments about tarantulas, by disagreeing with me that they were scary and monstrous. Therefore we were having a conversation and not a debate, because I couldn't even stick to the topic" Pro contends that the definition of debate it "And, finally I would like to remind my opponent that the definition of a debate is having opposing viewpoints." Thus, since I disagreed with what pro said we had opposing views. So this is a debate. Whether or not it is a debate over a specific topic is irrelevant.

2.

"There has been a pathetic lack of clash in this non-debate" You can vote Con. Pro agrees that there has been some clash, so this is a debate.

" As I said earlier, once you take all the arguing out of a debate, it ceases to be a debate but instead becomes a discussion." Problem: We've been bickering over definitions this entire debate, thus we have been arguing.

" In a debate, 2 people have opposing sides and try to prove why their side is right. I failed to do that in this non-debate" Pro doesnt prove this claim.

3.

"However, he was not disputing the subject at hand( whether or not this is a debate) he was simply disputing my off-topic rambling about tarantulas and other irrelevant stuff " Talk about irrelevant! You've defined a debate as "having opposing viewpoints", and I disputed your statements. Your definition proves that this is a debate. Who cares if it's about the subect at hand?

"Notice how my opponent is making an attempt to argue with me, but I have not made any effort at all in this non-debate" Problem: You've made statements, I've disagreed. Opposing viewponts=debate.

Also of note:

My definition was dropped by my opponent, extend that.

My evidence of this being a debate was dropped, extend that.

My opponent has ured a con ballot, vote con.

Posted by Godsconservativegirl 5 years ago
Godsconservativegirl
thett3 is a Girl? I thought she was a boy! ;) ( just kidding!)
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
If you truly were agreeing with everything Con said, then you would have also agreed that this is a debate, lol (which you did not).
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
I have to somehow decide whether to vote Pro or Con, and its hard to determine who to vote for as far as the resolution goes because of the paradox I mentioned. So I decided to vote Con because Pro told me to. If she didn't say to vote Con then this would have bee tie. But when both sides are telling me to vote the same way, then who am I to not oblige...
Posted by chesslvr 5 years ago
chesslvr
i think you will win...i just realized i contradicted myself alot, and your case was well argued. Thanks for debating, this was supposed to be a joke debate but it got a bit serious at the end
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Does this deserve my 100th vote? Meh, okay. --- Since both people 'technically' debated on random things, the resolution was negated. (Not to mention CON's evidence to adequately prove that this was a debate).
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: There was no way Pro could win. Pro completely contradicted herself. Pro agreed that it is a debate so the resolution is already negated. Pro then said that people have to disagree in order for it to be a debate. Con disagreed to negate the resolution again. Pro then totally dropped it and started posting random stuff which Con disagreed with yet again. Question to Pro: Why do you start a debate saying that it is not a debate? Con did a pretty good job showing that it is in fact, a debate.
Vote Placed by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented reasons why this was a debate to which Pro states "I agree with everything you said". Since Pro agrees that this was a debate, the resolution is negated. Also, as Con pointed out, Pro tries to claim that both sides must have opposing viewpoints for it to be a debate while disregarding the fact that she was claiming it was not a debate while Con was claiming that it was. These are opposing viewpoints which by her own definition, makes it a debate.
Vote Placed by Crayzman2297 5 years ago
Crayzman2297
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The instigator has created a paradox, causing both and therefore neither party to be correct. I found Con's conduct to be rather egotistical, and she seems to repeatedly demand that you "vote con". I vote pro, because I believe that he/she whosoever creates a paradox is the only one who can possibly win under it.
Vote Placed by 000ike 5 years ago
000ike
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: What Pro didn't realize is that any from of disagreement would have lost her this debate. When she opposed Con's definition of "debate," this became a debate, and she lost.
Vote Placed by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con proved that Pro was debating even if Pro didn't argue and she decided to argue thus making it a debate and giving Con the win.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
chesslvrthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Comments. This is really hard to judge. Pro's argument basically created a paradox where she concedes to con's arguments that this is a debate, but that in itself means that its not a debate. But then this debate within a debate which is actually not a debate is actually a debate because a non-debate is a debate about whether or not this is a debate about debates, making this debate not really a debate because debates are inherently debatable...