shakuntala
Burls

This love poem is full of brilliant metaphorical imagery

Burls
Started: 9/19/2014 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

This love poem is full of brilliant metaphorical imagery -

http://www.scribd.com...

example
"Oh beloved thy lover around that mole black upon the cheek of thee doth circle with my eyes doth long to circle with the tongue of I around that single point on thy cheek be the centre fromst which I trace out with tongues tip the circumference of that single pointed mole black"
there is the surface meaning but also a hiddein meaning to the perceptive reader lines
Burls

Con

Please illuminate me on the "brilliant metaphorical imagery" that can be perceived in that quote.
shakuntala

Pro

con asks
"Please illuminate me on the "brilliant metaphorical imagery" that can be perceived in that quote"
in sufi poetry the mole is a metaphor for

http://www.spiritualfoundation.net...
"The MOLE on the cheek is the point of indivisible Unity"
as well as
http://www.agharang.org...

"Night, Tresses, Mole, Kohl: Transcendent aspect of God."

if you have read the poem and got the hidden meaning you will see also the mole is a metaphor for the hole of the cunt
thus
the line
"I trace out with tongues tip the circumference of that single pointed mole black"" is a metaphor for cunnilingus
Burls

Con

I see thru research that the point being raised can be significant in Sufi poetics as descriptive of perfection as in the phrase "Your Eminence" or "Your Highness". Even given cultural differences I fail to see how encircling an eminence can be a better metaphor than encircling a dimple for the example provided. But I grant there are cultural differences and perhaps the 'Dimple' is too explicit an imagery to be used by the Sufi in their setting. Please continue with another example.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"Please continue with another example."

take the mention of the hyacinth curl
"oh beloved in thy black hyacinth curl all infidels to Muslim proselytes wouldst be oh beloved in thy black hyacinth curl ensnared art I in the spider web of thy panther black curl as thee in wantonness do shake the curl fromst thy moon-like face that curls around those pouting full red pulpy lips"
3 levels of meaning
1) the girls curl
2) the sufi curl
http://www.spiritualfoundation.net...
"CURLS and TRESSES mean plurality veiling the face of Unity from its lovers"

if you have followed the poem
3)at the hidden level the curl is the girl pubic hair around her moon-like face ie her cunt-as hinted at by the metaphor pouting full red pulpy lips
Burls

Con

Cultural differences being as they are, I yet marvel at the imagery of such bushy pubes on a youngster who "..in wantonness do shake the curl fromst (her) moon-like face that curls around those pouting full red pulpy lips.." and profess to suspicion that the author in fact soliloquies about the face of his object of admiration; tho I do feel some magnetism to the first line: "oh beloved in thy black hyacinth curl all infidels to Muslim proselytes wouldst be.." as in wanton lust to be within the confines of the hyacinth curl of her dress.

Maybe my appreciation of the metaphor is lacking with so wide a divide between cultures, but please continue with another example.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"but please continue with another example.
alas time runs out con as this round is for the summing up
as I have shown the various metaphors in the poem
I have backed up my assertion
thus I should win the debate

but I will give con another example
http://www.spiritualfoundation.net...
The DOWN is the world of pure spirits which is nearest to Divinity

"Oh beloved the down on thy milk smooth skin be like green meadows from the unseen world beloved thy cheek be the divine to me that divine which for which the all the worlds I did pine that down round thy pinkish spongy flesh I did search and have now did find"

I will let you work out the 3 levels of meaning
cheers con
Burls

Con

The brilliance of the metaphors in the displayed poem is subjective and restricted to cultural limits. The examples provided thru round 3 do not conform within the parameters of published criticism on traditional Sufi poetry.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
shakuntalaBurlsTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro failed to prove the poem was full of brilliant metaphorical imageries.