Montague_Smith
MyNameIsJustin

Thomas the tank engine is one of the best shows to be created

Montague_Smith

Pro

Thomas the tank engine is the one of the best shows ever to be created! If you want to discuss how to format our debate, please answer. I am happy to have this first round to decide on format, three body paragraphs and a conclusion for the fifth round.
MyNameIsJustin

Con

Three body paragraphs and a conclusion seems great.
Montague_Smith

Pro

All right, thanks and let's begin.

Thomas the tank engine started off as The Railway Series by the late Rev. W Awdry. After his books became a massive success, Britt Alcroft took the ideas and turned them into a television show.

From then on, Thomas the tank engine has become one of the television shows to be created as years it has aired, it has not only taught children morals and values that are used in day-to-day lives but also gives interesting story telling rather then a basic three act structure (except for the Sharon Millar era but we won't go into that...*shudders*) Sagas and mini series have come out of this show such as Tugs or Jack and the Pack that teach people about lesser known be hikes around the world.

I feel that Thomas the tank engine shows all of these things.

Thanks for reading as this is my first debate ever!
Your turn
MyNameIsJustin

Con

Cinema in the United States has been around for over one hundred years, originating with silent films all the way to four dimensional realistic films. Hollywood has been a large impact on all this development.

Through history we have seen popular books come to life, emotional films that bring people to tears, and inspirational dramatic stories that change lives. I highly doubt a children's program with a train is better than that!

Thomas the Train has little plot or excitement throughout the series. The only person I know who would watch it would have to be within 2 and 4 years old.
Montague_Smith

Pro

You say that Thomas the tank engine has little plot...I would highly disagree. And that it isn't dramatic enough is absolute rubbish.

Over its many years on television, TTTE has become a worldwide phenomenon, touching many people's nostalgia and childhood, not only for a novelty but also has an educational device. Let's take Gordon and the Flying Scotmans relationship. In the many incarnations of these two characters, two main bonds stand true to who they are. One being the strong, undivided bond of brotherhood, a connection to last an eternity and the other being the jealously Gordon faces towards The Flying Scotman for being better and more famous than him.
In the first story, this teaches kids AND ADULTS how to act around fellow company and how to mantain a strong friendship and the second showing how to deal with envy and jealousy and how to come out of top.

People learn how to compromise and how to have fun with the antics of Bill and Ben, people learn about diversity and other nationalities with Donald and Douglas and Hiro and people learn how to overcome fears with the hijinx of Rusty and the Narrow Gauge Engines.

You also mention how films and cinema can bring people to tears...while I agree with you on that, the topic of discussion is about a television show, not a film. And compared to other children's programs, this certainly comes out on top.

Bob the Builder: Tells kids that as long as you say sorry at the end, you can do anything you want.
Dora the explorer: Patronises kids when it teaches numbers and teaches you to say numbers and hello is Spanish.
Postman Pat: While a charming show, didn't go very far in run time.
Brum: I used to love this show but as I get older, the stories become a bit to boring and repetitive.

And that's another thing, even as an adult, no of these shows compare to the sheer greatness that is the story telling that can entertain both adults and children, something other kids shows have a hard time doing.
MyNameIsJustin

Con

Alright then, shows. Thomas the Train has an IMDB rating of 6.8. This link (http://www.imdb.com...) gives a list to 25 shows with higher ratings. There are also way more than that but didn't make the list.

Thomas the Train is a children's show. It doesn't attract most adults. While many adults are entertained by the series, it just fails to attract them. Cartoon trains aren't exactly a show an adult would watch.

Thomas the Train compared to other shows isn't very good. When we look at shows such as Game of Thrones, Sherlock, and Supernatural, they all have huge fandoms who are obsessed over the show. While Thomas the Train does have a fanbase, most of them are either in elementary school or simply not obsessed like these fandoms are (buying shirts, figures, other merchandise, clubs, etc).
Montague_Smith

Pro

You say Thomas the tank Engine doesn't have a fan base? And that it doesn't attract adults? *Sighs* Right.
Thomas the tank engine (the actuall show itsself) makes 1 billion dollars a year. Now compared to Game of Thrones, that isn't much but if you take into account the merchandise, the shirts and the other accessories that are sold...Thomas the tank engine makes a total of 70 billion dollars per season when added all together. And with it approaching its 20th 14000 billion dollars have been made approx.

The railway community of Thomas the Tank engine is just as strong as those for other television shows with clubs and railway models.

Here are some just to name a few of the YouTube ones who are adults:
The Unlucky Tug
ThomasWoodenRailway
MilkTankerMedia
Enterprising Engines93
Ramafool

Of course it's all matter of opinion of which show is good but IDMb is not a reliable source as even as much as they say they have some, no critics are actually on that website that are 100% reliable so that argument for best shows is irrelevant.

Also, if adults didn't like this show, how come there are committed writers, producers, directors, voice actors and helpers who also contribute with their heart and soul into this show?
Also this show has the likes of Alec Baldwin, George Carlin and Ringo Star involved so it touches the hearts of our heroes and icons as well.

Thomas the tank engine is one of the most influential characters ever created and is a well known symbol of childhood and nostalgia. Adults and kids alike are still watching this show to this day as it strikes such string in their hearts that they feel good when watching it.

Now side note, there are two ways we can finish.
A. You rebut this but make no more reasons or
B. You get to make new arguements in round three but I get to rebut in the conclusion.
This is what happens in real debates when you are on the Con side.
MyNameIsJustin

Con

I never said it didn't have a fanbase. It does, but the fanbase is not as devoted as other series. I also never claimed it didn't atract adults. I said it doesn't attract MOST adults and that some are entertained by the series. I would also love to see some credible sources on the earnings of Thomas the Train and Game of Thrones.

You say IMDB is not reliable, yet here is a quote from their official website. "In addition to using as many sources as we can, our data goes through consistency checks to ensure it's as accurate and reliable as possible" There are committed writers, producers, directors, voice actors, and helpers for every show. That isn't much of an argument.

I want to point something out as well. You have broken the format for your own debate. Your last two arguments have had far more than three body paragraphs. I think whoever is voting for this should take that into consideration.
Montague_Smith

Pro

And now to conclude.

I believe that Thomas the tank engine is one of the BEST shows to be created. It takes a dedicated fan base and production team to build an empire of what this show has become. Compared to other shows, this fanbase and commitment, both in and out of its production history has lead to a whole generations of children and adults alike to be influenced and to be taught by something as simple as talking trains.
Thanks
MyNameIsJustin

Con

My conclusion

Thomas the Train is a good show, but compared to the deep rich history of film and cinema for over a century, it fails to stand out.
Posted by MyNameIsJustin 12 months ago
MyNameIsJustin
I believe so
Posted by Montague_Smith 12 months ago
Montague_Smith
Sorry it's my first. Do you know what happens if the time runs out without a winner? Do we draw?
Posted by MyNameIsJustin 12 months ago
MyNameIsJustin
Yes we are in the voting period until January 31st
Posted by Montague_Smith 12 months ago
Montague_Smith
Also what happens if neither of us gets to seven before the time runs out?
Posted by Montague_Smith 12 months ago
Montague_Smith
Oh that's fine. We are not voting are we?
Posted by MyNameIsJustin 12 months ago
MyNameIsJustin
Apologies for my argument in round 3. The last sentence of the second paragraph belongs to the end of the first. That is my own editing mistake. I am sorry.