FrEeMaSoN1692
briauna

Those Who Take Selfies (Just By Themselves) Are Ego-Maniacs

FrEeMaSoN1692

FrEeMaSoN1692

Pro

Noun1.egomaniac - an abnormally egotistical person
egoist, egotist, swellhead - a conceited and self-centered person

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Since I have established the meaning of what an ego-maniac is, I will say that selfies are the dirt of society. They are within the same category as reality tv shows and pornography (I'll admit that I do watch pornography). If people aren't ego-maniacs, then they wouldn't need to have things like Facebook and Twitter. They say that they are for connecting with their friends, but they are really used to advertise their lives in order to seem relevant in their lives. Mine and everyone else's lives are not relevant by themselves. They as a collective matter for the progression of history. This may seem off tangent, but it is an explanation of what ego-maniacs are and aren't.
briauna

Con

No. Not true. And as far as self conceited, sometimes, but not all.
FrEeMaSoN1692

Pro

Is there really a need to take selfies? Selfies are just not the kind of social activity that we should be using to communicate with each other. It seems like they love posting pictures of themselves for everyone to see. In response to my opponent's question, they may not seem self-conceited, but they are sub-consciously self-conceited. Like I said before, we should just talk to each other on the phone rather than text because it is more personal and unique than any text. Facebook may be an easier way to keep connected, but if we really wanted to keep our friends from our past to our adulthood, then we should take the extra mile to do so.
briauna

Con

briauna forfeited this round.
FrEeMaSoN1692

Pro

Ego-maniacs use selfies as a way to promote themselves in order to keep up their following or to attract a potential boyfriend/girlfriend. Selfies for guys are even worse because it is okay for girls to admire themselves since that's how they are, but for guys, it is just not right to do that. Guys should just stick to flexing and charm like the older generations. If they are that physically attractive, then they should just like the chicks come to them. They don't need the extra exposure and if they aren't supposedly physically attractive, then they are just desperate.
briauna

Con

So you are sexist, too eh? I can tell by the way you say that it is incorrect for males, but it's okay if females do it? Why is that? What if they want some type of memoir without spending money? Yes I get so are attention hogs, but not all. It is wrongful of you to say that.

Showing self-confidence with a click.
Photo by Thinkstock

An elementary school principal I once worked with said that if you ask a group of first grade girls who the best runner in the class is, they all point to themselves: I"m the best runner, they"ll say. Ask a group of sixth grade girls, she went on, and they"ll point to the best runner.

Ask a group of ninth grade girls, I thought to myself, and when they point out the fast girl, she"ll flinch and demur, saying, "No, I"m awful!" Pride, after all, is a cardinal sin in girls" social culture. It"s a lesson they learn early and with ugly consequences. Act too confident and you"ll be isolated, called "conceited," a "bitch," a girl who "thinks she"s all that," who"s "full of herself."

Girls adapt by learning the language of the humble. They raise their hands tentatively at the elbow, beginning classroom comments with apologies ("I"m not sure if this is right, but ""). They turn strong opinions into questions with "upspeak." As Amy Schumer lampooned in her viral sketch, young women deflect compliments with frenetic intensity"or, as I"ve found in my own research, perform an inverse maneuver, earning a compliment by putting themselves down ("I look so awful today." "No you don"t, you look amaze!").

Enter the selfie, which Oxford Dictionaries just picked as its word of the year. As the Pew Center for Internet Research reported earlier this year, 91 percent of teens have posted one. Last week, the first selfie app went live: Shots of Me, backed by Justin Bieber, is a camera app that opens with the lens already facing its user. These days, the selfie and its main outlet, Instagram, generally come in for much adult loathing. But consider this: The selfie is a tiny pulse of girl pride"a shout-out to the self. Earlier this week, the first three women to complete Marine infantry combat training, along with a fourth who completed most of the hurdles but was injured before her final physical fitness test, posted a jubilant selfie.* (Nancy Pelosi tweeted it as "selfie of the year.") If you write off the endless stream of posts as image-conscious narcissism, you"ll miss the chance to watch girls practice promoting themselves"a skill that boys are otherwise given more permission to develop, and which serves them later on when they negotiate for raises and promotions.
When I posted my first selfie a few months ago after getting a haircut I loved, my thumb hovered, ambivalent, over the post button. I felt a wave of discomfort. How obnoxious, I thought to (and of) myself"are people going to think that I think I look good? And that I want others to know it? That this kind of casual self-promotion comes so easily to girls points to a yawning"and promising"generational divide. Maybe we adult women, of the Lean In generation, have something to learn here.

The selfie suggests something in picture form"I think I look [beautiful] [happy] [funny] [sexy]. Do you?"that a girl could never get away with saying. It puts the gaze of the camera squarely in a girl"s hands, and along with it, the power to influence the photo"s interpretation. As psychiatrist Josie Howard recently told Refinery29"s Kristin Booker, selfies "may reset the industry standard of beauty to something more realistic." On #selfiesunday, an often giddy end-of-weekend selfie-fest, the middle school girls on my feed run the gamut from serious to silly. Some girls are working it, sure, but others have their tongues half out as if to say, I know I look stupid. But I choose to, and I"m beating you to the judgment punch.

When I recently suggested to my Facebook community that selfies might occasionally be a good thing for girls, I was swiftly checked by a chorus of horrified grown-ups. Selfies are a form of "approval seeking," said one. They feel "so desperate," tsked another. Many professionals echo their alarm. Selfies are a sign of low self-esteem, opined a psychologist to Teen Vogue. Competitive, said Jess Weiner, Dove"s global ambassador for self-esteem.

But of course: Pity the teenage girl. As with sex and hooking up, we assume there is only one motivation, and it"s a bad one. Girls are perennial victims and the culture always perpetuates this. All girls hook up because they know they"ll have to settle to get the intimacy they so desperately crave, even on someone else"s terms"not because they might just be drunk and want to make out with someone. All girls sext because they"re clueless and stupid"not because some have figured out how to leverage the tools of social media to play at sex without having it. And all girls post selfies because they"re desperate for others to fill the beauty-affirmation void left by a ruthless media. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

I"ve been an educator for the last 15 years. I do worry that for every girl who posts a selfie with pride, others use it to cobble together the validation they cannot give themselves. I worry also about the girls who spend hours editing out their blemishes and adding filters. A 16-year-old from Texas told me that she longs for the days of their grandmothers" brave, set-in-stone Polaroids. And there is plenty that"s troubling about girls" tendency to use Instagram to celebrate their physical appearance over their accomplishments. A survey by the Girl Scouts in 2010 found that girls downplayed their intelligence, kindness, and efforts to be a positive influence online in favor of presenting an image that is fun, funny, and social.

But I worry more about a world of parents and educators that are overly invested in seeing all social media as problematic, and positioning girls as passive targets instead of agents of their own lives. Every girl is different, and context matters. The selfie flaunts the restrictions of "good girl" culture like a badass teenager sitting in the back of the classroom, refusing to apologize for what she says. I, for one, want to sit next to her in detention.

Correction, Nov. 21, 2013: This article originally misstated that four women completed the Marine infantry combat training. Three women finished, a fourth, included in the jubilant selfie, completed most of the hurdles, but was injured before she could complete some of the final tests.
FrEeMaSoN1692

Pro

FrEeMaSoN1692 forfeited this round.
briauna

Con

briauna forfeited this round.
FrEeMaSoN1692

Pro

I would just like to admit that I am sexist because I believe men are expected to lead the way since it is in our genes to do so. Yes, there are women who had led humanity to great heights, but men still need standards that make them MEN. Watching musicals like Hairspray (West Side Story is more manly), wearing high-heels, playing patty-cake or acting extremely gay is not the standard that men should have. Anyway, back to the argument, selfies are plainly examples of ego-maniacs because they are trying to glorify themselves. No other form is more egotistical than selfies unless you would care to refute. As I said, conversing with your friends in person are better than texting, selfie-posting and calling. These are reasons for the need to go back to the past and forget about cell phones voluntarily because it ruins the spark in interactions.
briauna

Con

briauna forfeited this round.
Posted by Cin 2 years ago
Cin
LOL I take selfies, and I'm pretty humble :)
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
Con, you plagiarized your R3-- and quite transparently, too.

The original article, for those curious, can be found here: http://www.slate.com...

Con, you have to credit your sources.
Posted by briauna 2 years ago
briauna
Oh for the love of god! Debate back!!
Posted by FrEeMaSoN1692 2 years ago
FrEeMaSoN1692
Yes, that is true MJMiamiBoy2 because our lives seem too precious to give up. However, I and many other people will try to get out of that kind of thinking if we realize that helping others for the benefit of mankind is an obligation.
Posted by MJMiamiBoy2 2 years ago
MJMiamiBoy2
Can I just say that humans are self-running beings whose natural tendencies are to look out for themselves 1st and others 2nd?
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
FrEeMaSoN1692briaunaTied
Reasons for voting decision: plagiarism
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
FrEeMaSoN1692briaunaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con plagiarized the overwhelming majority of her case, AFTER forfeiting first. I award conduct for the forfeits and the plagiarism. I award arguments because, as far as I'm concerned, Con didn't present any--the plagiarism means the ones presented don't get credit. Sourcing goes to Pro because such blatant plagiarism is an abuse of sourcing. And as to S&G, I can't give credit to Con for stealing the S&G of others. The original article that Con plagiarized can be found here: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/selfies_on_instagram_and_facebook_are_tiny_bursts_of_girl_pride.html. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.