JamieH
A341

Those going to private schools should receive a rebate from the government (UK)

JamieH

Pro

If a is paying taxes to the government for a service, namely education, that they are not receiving, why should they have to pay for it? In the UK last year, the Independent Schools Council found state school education cost at least 9,000GBP per child per year. This doesn't even include the amount that parents have to spend on their child to equip them sufficiently. Things such as stationery, school trips etc cost parents 1,614GBP per child.
Considering that on average, private school fees are 9,063GBP across the country, why shouldn't people be able to claim back this figure if they choose to spend it on private education.
A341

Con

A individual does not pay taxes for the benefit of the individual but for the benefit to society as a whole. A person who sends their children to private school also directly benefits those going to their private school it that they have the benefit of living in a well educated society.

Private school parents pay approximately "1,370,880,000 (I calculated this figure myself and it involves some major assumptions) towards education every year. Our education system is on the brink and that "1,370,880,000 is required to keep up the current standard of education in the UK.

Parents who privately educate their children have the option to switch to public education. They have chosen to not take part in the system, this same parallel can be drawn in people who use private health care, there is a public option available to all and a private option, for your position to be consistent you will have to take the position that the extremely should be able to withdraw from almost 40% of taxes, this leads on to my next point.

You are essentially giving a tax break to the rich, first we simply could not afford this as a nation and second why not give these tax beaks to the poor who actually need it.
JamieH

Pro

First of all, whilst I agree that taxes are to help the poor as well, I find it hard to believe that 1% of the population (the proportion of privately educated) would have that much of an effect on taxes? There are other people that pay into the system not just the rich? I believe you also branded every person attending a private school as rich and wealthy, which I hotly contest since many children at private schools are on bursaries and scholarships, which make attending a private school possible.

Also as it stands state education system is crap. It jumbles everyone of different abilities together and employs quite a few second rate teachers. Why would anyone choose to send their child to a state school given the option? (as you rightly said, it is on the brink because it is so bad)

I won't delve too deeply into your anecdote about healthcare apart from drawing the same point from above..why would anyone choose to go through state health care considering the waiting lists are staggeringly long?

I'll conclude by saying that it is primarily those who do go to private schools who innovate and drive our economy and whilst you may be able to name a few entrepreneurs from state schools, I can name plenty more who came from private schools. Do you not want to encourage this sector of people? After all, in pure economic terms, the multiplier effect of a rebate on private education would almost certainly increase our productive potential as a country and stimulate much more growth in the future.
A341

Con

A341 forfeited this round.
JamieH

Pro

JamieH forfeited this round.
A341

Con

A341 forfeited this round.
Posted by A341 3 years ago
A341
Sorry, lost track of time, please give all points to pro.