eltigrey
Spritle

Tigers are Superior to Lions

Spritle

eltigrey

Pro

I believe that Tigers

tiger (N.)
a large, carnivorous, tawny-colored and black-striped feline, Panthera tigris, of Asia, ranging in several races from India and the Malay Peninsula to Siberia: the entire species is endangered, with some races thought to be extinct.

are superior to Lions

lion (N.)
a large, usually tawny-yellow cat, Panthera leo, native to Africa and southern Asia, having a tufted tail and, in the male, a large mane.

Rules:

Con must be defended the lion, and not another animal.

Round 1: Acceptance

Round 2: Debate

Round 3: Rebuttals

Round 4: Conclusion

You will only have two days to post your debate, so if you do not check your debates frequently, you may accidentally forfeit

If either Pro/Con forfeits once, points to Pro/Con

If either Pro/Con forfeits twice, Match to Pro/Con

(Sorry for being such a tight a$$)

I await an opponent, and wish good luck
Spritle

Con

I accept the challenge and look forward to a great debate!

I am assuming that the author means superior by it's definition and not by winning a fight. (Did not specify)

Definition of SUPERIOR [1]

1: situated higher up : upper
2: of higher rank, quality, or importance
3: courageously or serenely indifferent (as to something painful or disheartening)
4a : greater in quantity or numbers
4b : excellent of its kind : better

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
eltigrey

Pro

I believe that Tigers are superior to Lions, and wouldn't having the two fight show whose "4b: excellent of its kind ; better" or "2: of a higher rank, quality, or importance"

P1: Hunting

Lions are pride hunters, while tigers are solitary hunters. Lions don't have to hunt if they don't need to, while tigers, if not grazing, or cleaning themselves, will most likely be on the hunt. Tigers also have a sufficient advantage, with there powerful back legs allowing to take down there enemy much more easily, along with there agility. Tigers are, at the same time, very good swimmers, giving them an advantage for catching prey that's ran into the water.

P2 a):
Statistics

(Statistics taken from http://indrajit.wordpress.com...... directly)

(Lion)
Largest Lion in captivity: 806 lbs (366 kg)

Largest Lion found in the wild: 702 lbs (318 kg) and 11′ (3.35 m) [INDRAJIT.WORDPRESS.COM/BIGCATS]

Average size (mode) of African Lion: 410 lbs (186 kg) and 8’10″ (2.7 m)

** Lions stand around 1.15m (including mane) at shoulder as opposed to 1m of a tiger **

(Tiger, Bengal, and Siberian)
Largest Siberian Tiger found in the wild : 845 lbs/ 384 kg.
Longest Siberian Tiger found in the wild: 12’9″/ 3.9m

Largest Bengal Tiger found in the wild: 857 lbs/ 389 kg.
3.22 m 10 ft 7 in between pegs (3.37 m 11ft over the curves)

(The largest tiger ever held in captivity, and the heaviest ‘natural big cat’ on record, is a nine-year-old male
Siberian named ‘Jaipur’, owned by animal trainer Joan Byron-Marasek of Clarksburg, New Jersey, USA. This tiger measured 3.32 m 10 ft 11in in total length and weiged 423 kg 932 lb in October 1986)

Average size (mode) of Siberian Tigers living in the wild: 550 lbs (250 kg) and 11′/ 3.35 m

Average size (mode) of Bengal Tigers living in the wild: 500 lbs (227 kg) and 9’6″/ 2.9 m (Bengal tigers have a slightly shorter tail than the Siberians)

** The Bengal Tigers have the longest canines **

P2 b):
Comparison

Tigers weigh more , making them a little bit bigger than lions, thus giving them an advantage. Not mentioned in the statistics, but also a fact, is that tigers have bigger claws, and canines. They are also very agile, and if you combined all of these factors, it basically makes the tiger a "bigger" cat. Lions are almost the exact same, and are capable of taking down bigger animals ("Big Animals" such as giraffes), but usually the "bigger" animal does not tend to fight back.

P3: A Fight?

Tigers are a lot bigger than lions, along with being more agile, while lions are very strong. If both a lion a tiger were to square off, it is a very difficult decision to see who would win. A tigers pounce, strike and bite are two of its very powerful moves, while lions are very strong, make nice use of there claws, and are known for taking down enemies bigger then them. But there is no true winner. A lion is more likely to win in a small area (cage) because tigers will not be able to harness there full speed. A tigers agility is its key to winning, while a lions key is brute strength. In a larger cage, a tiger is more likely to win, because it will be able to move around, and maneuver easier. Who is the true champion. We will leave that up to the voters. A pride hunter, and a strong fighter, or a solitary hunter, and a fast fighter.

Remember next round is not for rebuttals

http://indrajit.wordpress.com......

http://answers.yahoo.com......
Spritle

Con

I will be defending the lion.

I say that a lion is far more superior than a tiger.

The lion (Panthera leo) is one of the four big cats in the genus Panthera, and a member of the family Felidae. Weights for adult lions range between an average of 330–550 lbs. for males and roughly 264–400 lbs. for females. With some males exceeding 550 lbs. in weight. Until the late Pleistocene, about 10,000 years ago, the lion was the most widespread large land mammal after humans. Lions live for ten to fourteen years in the wild, while in captivity they can live longer than twenty years. Lions are unusually social compared to other cats. A pride of lions consists of related females and offspring and a small number of adult males [1]. Groups of female lions typically hunt together, preying mostly on large animals. Lions are apex and keystone predators, although they scavenge as opportunity allows. While lions do not typically hunt humans, some have been known to do so. The male lion is easily recognised by its mane, and its face is one of the most widely recognised animal symbols in human culture.

The lion is the tallest of all living cats, averaging about 5.5 in. taller than the tiger. Lions are the only members of the cat family to display obvious sexual dimorphism—that is, males and females look distinctly different. They also have specialized roles that each gender plays in the pride [3]. During confrontations with others, the mane makes the lion look larger. Lions tend to vary in size depending on their environment and area, resulting in a wide spread in recorded weights. For instance, lions in southern Africa tend to be about 5 percent heavier than those in East Africa, in general.

Lions spend much of their time resting and are inactive for about 20 hours per day. Although lions can be active at any time, their activity generally peaks after dusk with a period of socializing, grooming, and POOPING. Intermittent bursts of activity follow through the night hours until dawn, when hunting most often takes place. They spend an average of two hours a day walking and around 50 minutes of eating.

The lion is quite capable of fending off a tiger as seen in the video. The lion is superior to a tiger not only because the lion is a better fighter. The lion has a greater chance of survival as seen in these numbers:

Tigers:
Today, an estimated total of around 3,000-4,500 exist in the wild [4].

Lions
Today, fewer than 21,000 remain in all of Africa [5].

These number prove that a lion is superior to a tiger. If we look back at the dictionary definition of "superior," we see that under 4a it states: "greater in quantity or numbers." The lion has the nickname "King of the Beasts," therefore, he is better than his kind. A lion's genus, Panthera, and his family, Felidae, are the exact SAME as a tiger, making the tiger part of the lion's "kind." As we can see in 4b of my definition of "superior" it states: "excellent of its kind : better."

That'll do.

[1] http://kids.nationalgeographic.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://animals.nationalgeographic.com...
[4] http://www.defenders.org...
[5] http://www.defenders.org...
eltigrey

Pro

Im so sorry, but when I came on to debate today to post my debate, as I finished it today at school, I found that the entire thing had been deleted. I don't know if one of my friends had pranked me, or if the website glitched, all I know is that I stayed up until twelve last night writing it. I was really looking foward to a great debate, and apologize if you were also. I will see if I can recollect it some how and post it to my next round, but if not I am really out of it. I do not wish to rewrite the entire thing, because I am tired, and believe me, this is not an excuse for not doing it at all. I am really sorry.
Spritle

Con

I extend my argument.

eltigrey

Pro

Sorry again
Spritle

Con

You should have atleast made an argument instead of giving up, man. A crappy argument is better than none!

I extend my argument on why lions are superior to tigers.

Thank you to my opponent and to all the voters.

Vote accordingly!
Posted by max_p_robertson 5 years ago
max_p_robertson
eltigrey is a completely different person and I joust so happen to agree with him
plus offline we are friends

Check o'er profile information if you think I would lie about my name and religion. you're insulting me
Posted by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
No. That was a BS reason. I suspect max_p and eltigrey are the same person.. it's been reported.
Posted by Spritle 5 years ago
Spritle
Did that guy seriously just vote all against me because I wasn't polite?
Posted by eltigrey 5 years ago
eltigrey
uh oh
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
He's not only a lion man. He's also a cybor pirate, an elephant man, a tadpole man, a Halloween man, a butterfly man and plenty more.

http://www.youtube.com...
Posted by eltigrey 5 years ago
eltigrey
Hey spritle, just putting some last touches on my rebuttal, it will be up by tommorow
Posted by eltigrey 5 years ago
eltigrey
Haha phantom, stop it with the lion man
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Posted by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
Define 'superior', and is this debate about who is better or who will win in a fight? Cage fight? Fight in the wild?
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
eltigreySpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's opening argument was actually better. But he gave up, and that leaves me no choice but to vote Con.
Vote Placed by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
eltigreySpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: counter votebomb by max_p
Vote Placed by max_p_robertson 5 years ago
max_p_robertson
eltigreySpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: spritle should be more polite
Vote Placed by PartamRuhem 5 years ago
PartamRuhem
eltigreySpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit...