michael21
sllewuy

Tim Duncan is better then Kevin Garnett

Started: 9/29/2009 Category: Sports

michael21

Pro

Yes,Tim Duncna is the best PF ever.Also he's the best rebounding and most dominating PF of all time

His resume is awsome
-4x NBA Championships(at the end of his career he will have 5/6 rings)
-3x Finals MVP
-2x MVP
-His Finals Series in 2003 22,2 PPG,17,2 RPG,5,6 BPG in one of the best individual perfomance ever but yet underrated
-Has career stast of 21,1 PPG,11,8 RPG,2,3 BPG.................
sllewuy

Con

Tim Duncan Vs Kevin Garnett very Interesting... thanks for the debate challenge

Kevin Garnett: Career stats 20.2ppg, 11.1rpg, 1.4bpg, 1.6spg
1x NBA MVP
1x Defensive Player Of The Year
Championships are a team effort. No one man wins championships. Teams win championships.

When comparing these two power forwards who's stats are almost identical, I will give my opponent the edge by saying Duncan does have better stats than Garnett in the categories he mentioned by maybe ONE POINT or less which were Points Per Game, Rebounds Per Game and Blocks Per Game. Garnett has some categories where he trumps Tim Duncan which are Steals, Assists, and Turnover Ratio.

Kevin Garnett I believe is a better player than Duncan because Garnett is just a bigger threat to face. I say that because when defenders guard Kevin Garnett they are not just worrying about his inside presence but his outside presence as well. Garnett can shoot the outside jumpers and pretty well too. Tim Duncan has not proven to be a good outside shooter except for that one miracle shot against the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs. Garnett has the ability to guard the perimeter as well as the inside too which you can see from his steals. The difference between Garnett and Duncan is Duncan excels in some aspects of the game but faces big weaknesses in many other parts like his Free Throw percentage (lowly 68%) and like i said his lack of perimeter D. Free throws might not seem like a big stat but its a part of the game that has haunted big name stars other than Duncan from winning like Shaquille O Neal (thus thee invention of Hack a Shaq), Dwight Howard, and LeBrick James.

Garnett is better than Duncan because he is the COMPLETE player he does not have any weaknesses. He can shoot outside jumpers, he can jam it in inside, he will swat your centers, pick your guards, out rebound everybody on the court (4 straight rebounding titles), the man can pass the ball as well he is just that unselfish (17 career triple doubles!) and fouling him in the last minutes of the game will not do defenders any good because the man has made himself into a 80% free throw shooter over the past 5 years of play.

With all of these facts GARNETT is the better PLAYER here
michael21

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting my debate. This is my first debate and I will do the best I can.

First off let me begin by saying that Tim Duncan and KG are both amazing players and both had amazing careers thought the years. My opponent makes the point that these two players are almost evenly matched up when it comes to statistics. But this is not necessarily true. My opponent said, and I quote, "The difference between Garnett and Duncan is Duncan excels in some aspects of the game but faces big weaknesses in many other parts like his Free Throw percentage (lowly 68%)". . Duncan is fundamentally sound to take shots and take fouls too. He is not a good ft shooter but it still puts pressure on opponents and referees to call a foul. While Garnett shoots fading away or shying away from contact. This gives a lot less free-throw attempts for Garnett then Duncan. Garnett with 5,249 attempts and Duncan with 6,530 attempts. It's kind of funny because Garnett has been playing in the league 2 more years then Duncan has.

If you're talking about "jump shot" you got to check out Tim Duncan. He has been doing that his entire career. That's one of his trademark moves, low post face the basket and hit the bank shot. But one thing Garnett does... and was well known for was relying to teammates too much. He still does it, it's just he has teammates who can play at as high a level as KG does (well... energy and passion wise not included). But many times when the moment came upon Garnett to make the right play... he would shrink or need someone to bail him out. I don't mean this on every occasion, but on the biggest stage he would put up great numbers. But not the two extra points to win the game. Not the rebound or steal or blocked shot that secures the victory. That's what really separates Tim Duncan from Garnett. There almost polar opposites of each other. Duncan the calm, fundamentally sound offensively and defensively, interior player who occasionally shots 15 footers and Garnett the excitable, versatile offensively and defensively, shooting 15 footers and occasionally shots on the interior. But Duncan does come up with the big shot, the rebound, the blocked shot, and the right pass to the right teammate.

Duncan obviously is the better player. Garnett didn't win a championship until he went to Boston didn't have to go through Tim Duncan. When KG had to play Tim, there was no contest. Tim took him (and the Wolves) out of the playoffs twice, first in 1999 on the way to a championship, and again in 2001 on the way to the Western Conference Finals. Duncan's, statistics were very impressive, but Duncan was a winner, Garnett was a choker.
The true measure of greatness is now just how you play, but whether you bring out the best in those around you. Duncan's quite leadership, learned at the hands of The Admiral, David Robinson, which makes him the dominant player of the post-Jordan era. Who was Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, Sean Elliot, Stephen Jackson, or even Avery Johnson? If Tim Duncan wanted to be a star by himself, he would have not let go, he would not want to develop this potent guys, and absolutely he would get all the credit, but Tim Duncan was different from everyone. He doesn't want any attention by the media, he doesn't want anything about the analyst, and of course, he doesn't want to brag about his achievements. Here is one trait Duncan possesses, he made everyone around him BETTER, even the Great David Robinson praised Duncan on his leadership abilities during their first championship together

3 MVP Finals, back to back MVP's, only missed one NBA-First Team Selection, and an all-star for every year of his career. I urge you to vote for me because; Tim Duncan is without a doubt the greatest power-forward of all-time.
sllewuy

Con

"If you're talking about "jump shot" you got to check out Tim Duncan. He has been doing that his entire career. That's one of his trademark moves, low post face the basket and hit the bank shot. But one thing Garnett does... and was well known for was relying to teammates too much.He still does it, it's just he has teammates who can play at as high a level as KG does (well... energy and passion wise not included). But many times when the moment came upon Garnett to make the right play... he would shrink or need someone to bail him out."

My opponent has used this to try and convince you that Tim Duncan has a jump shot. The keywords are "low post" which dose not signify that hes good at the jump shot. It just furthers my point that Duncan is limited to only the low post. By jump shot i mean the mid range jumper the 3 point shot that a guard can make. My opponent also pointed out how Tim Duncan has attempted more Free throws than Garnett it just further proves my point that he is not a good free throw shooter. Tim Duncan does not shy away from contact but defenders would rather send him to the line and have him miss a free throw than get a easy 2 for lay ups big weakness in Duncan's Game. Duncan has attempted more free throws than Ray Allen a 90% free throw shooter because teams do not foul good free throw shooters that would make no sense.

Other than the recent trade Garnett went through to the Boston Celtics who has he played with at the same level as him? Kevin Garnett's time on the Wolves had nobody who could play at the same level as him. Other than the 2004 season where Garnett had a taste of a good supporting cast which lasted only one year before injuries burdened Cassell and money burdened Spreewell from resigning a contract. After those two left. Kevin Garnett's best supporting players were Wally Sczerbiakand Michael Olowakandi(Who can't get signed by any NBA team) which is really sad when you think of those two players. Kevin Garnett for years playing on that T wolves team had to shovel the load for that team. He led the T wolves in every category from ppg, rpg, apg, spg and bpg every year after that 2004 team broke apart. Tim Duncan has had players on his level since he came into the NBA one of them is now a Hall of Famer (David Robinson) and after Robinson retired he had Tony Parker and Manu Ginoboli two NBA all stars.

My opponent also points out how how Garnett relies on his teammates to bail him out. I will not turn this down because that is essentially what basketball is, its a TEAM sport which you would need your teammates to bail you out every now and then. Tim Duncan for those who have actually watched the spurs games knows that Duncan is a guy who has his teammates help him more than any other athlete. Duncan has 4 championship rings and 3 of them he won the MVP award. Tony Parker owns the MVP award for the last championship because he had to "Bail out" Duncan when he was playing bad. Same goes for that playoff run when Robert Horry "Big shot Bob" had to bail the spurs out during a struggling 4th quarter. Manu Ginoboli picks up the slack as well when Duncan has a bad game.

Duncan is a good leader well so is Kevin Garnett. Doc Rivers has referred to him as the 2nd coach of the Boston Celtics. "During halftime I went into the locker room and Kevin had prepared film for the team to show them what they were doing wrong and how to improve on it."

Garnett and Duncan are evenly matched in a lot of categories from their points, to their rebounds, to their defensive game. But again Duncan still has a lot to improve on in his game and Garnett has still not shown any weakness in his play.
Kevin Garnett IS a better player than Tim Duncan.

As I said before you cannot take into account of Duncan winning more rings than Garnett as a way to decide who is better. I have already pointed out many support systems Duncan has had during the course of his career just coming into the NBA and being greeted by the Admiral the Hall of Famer David Robinson is enough to show Duncans TEAM the spurs were just as big of a reason for them winning as he is.
michael21

Pro

michael21 forfeited this round.
sllewuy

Con

Kevin Garnett is better than Tim Duncan! no response to my argument so I suppose I win this round. Vote for me thank you.
Posted by Frankthetank 5 years ago
Frankthetank
Garnett is overrated because he played on a bad team which boosted his stats. He's less of a team player. Yes he's versatile, the only thing he can beat Duncan at would be 3 pointers. So maybe he'd be a better shooting guard - but we're comparing them as power forwards. Duncan plays like a PF/C, Garnett's playing style is PF/SF, so you could compare him to Lebron James if you'd like to discuss mid range and 3 point shooting.

Duncan is the better PF. His stats would be far higher than Garnett's if he had the same mediocre teammates. Other things about the way Duncan plays are not incorporated in the box score. For example, he tends to tip a rebound to his teammate often. On the scoreboard this shows up as his teammate's rebound most of the time. And yes, he doesn't shoot mid range and 3 point shots, he lets the other Spurs players score there. That's not where you want your big man. Not everyone can hang around outside the 3 pt arc. You need a couple of guys posting up in the paint - usually your PF and C. You want those easy baskets and offensive rebounds from your PF, he shouldn't be hanging out next to your guards at the 3 pt line.

Lastly, when Garnett was given very talented teammates on Boston he only managed to pull out one championship. And he didn't even win Finals MVP! Versatility isn't everything - it's a team game and your player should be great at his position. But you can speculate that he could outplay some small forwards - a position which may have better fit his style of play.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Easy one for CON, again.
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
michael21sllewuyTied
Vote Placed by newguy 7 years ago
newguy
michael21sllewuyTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
michael21sllewuyTied