annagabriela
taburkasaurusrex

Time to legalize prostitution

annagabriela

Pro

A lot of people complain about prostitutes in the middle of the streets, and I can fully understand that because it"s unacceptable when you just want to go out for a walk and the first thing that you can see it"s a young girl standing there, alone, waiting for someone to pick her up, someone that she does not even know, someone that nobody knows what is going to do to the girl. But why do people complain and point their finger to them without knowing that this problem can be easily solved? A little research in the web is enough to understand why legalize prostitution can be a good thing. We all know that it"s not a save "job" (I used quotation marks because it"s not a legal job), and we all know that 99% of the times who start this job are very young girls that can easily be raped or they can take sexual diseases, and this is just one of the good reasons why prostitution should be legalized. I also want to tell something about how good would be for the country: first of all it would reduce violence against women, studies confirm that 82% of prostitutes had been assaulted and raped, it would make sex workers healthier because it"s quiet obvious that work in a clean place is better than what prostitutes use to do. A lot of people protest against illegal workers so why we do not try to solve this problem if we have the opportunity to do it, for at least a little part of the problem? if you do not care about other people life style or what would be good for them, just think about the amount of money the country can receive by taxes, if prostitution was legal. A lot of people think prostitution should not be legal because it"s immoral, but let"s think how many immoral things legal and illegal are in this world. Sometimes we should think also about what can be good for other people even though we think differently from them.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

First, Thank you for placing this up for debate. I accept. Second, how is there any good to the pro side of the debate? legalizing prostitution is not a good idea. If the country was to legalize prostitution there would be more bad than good.

"Regardless of prostitution's status (legal, illegal or decriminalized) or its physical location (strip club, massage parlor, street, escort/home/hotel), prostitution is extremely dangerous for women. Homicide is a frequent cause of death....
It is a cruel lie to suggest that decriminalization or legalization will protect anyone in prostitution. It is not possible to protect someone whose source of income exposes them to the likelihood of being raped on average once a week."
Melissa Farley, PhD
Founding Director of the Prostitution Research and Education
"Prostitution Is Sexual Violence" in the Psychiatric Times
http://prostitution.procon.org...
annagabriela

Pro

Prostitution will never die, we all have to deal with this. Prostitution existed also during the Roman empire. I do not think this job will end, so why we do not try to do something good for that? the only thing we can do about prostitution is try to "make it better", I mean: we all agree that it will always exist so the only thing we can do about it is try to help those girls with a safe place to stay, safe protections and as I said before it will also be a profit for the country.
"Homicide is a frequent cause of death", I personally think homicide cases can be reduced if prostitution was legal.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

What you're saying is that if we legalize prostitution then the rate of homicide would drop? That makes little sense. Yes, I agree prostitution has been around for, well forever, but that doesn't mean we should legalize it. The legalizing of prostitution would raise the HIV/AIDS rate, would lead to more divorces, would ruin friendships, and honestly would destroy our nations reputation. Would you like to be known as "The Prostitute Country?" I would not. Prostitution is not a great, or even good, thing and would lead to more rape and such. It is promoting teenage girls to go and be a prostitute to get money in stead of sticking with finishing school and getting a decent job. It would allow, we'll say, a fifty year old man to have sexual intercourse with a sixteen or seventeen year old girl. Tell me, how in the world is that safe or the correct thing to do? I'm not saying teenage girls shouldn't have sex, as it's their choice if they want to or not, but I'm saying having sex with an older man, by like six years older, is too much and is honestly gross. Homicide cases would not decrease after legalizing prostitution, as there would still be girls getting murdered after having sex with a man and then threatening to tell his wife if he wouldn't pay her better or have sex with her regularly. It should stay illegal.
annagabriela

Pro

First of all thank you for this debate.
I disagree when you say that the legalizing of prostitution would raise the HIV/AIDS rate because if some people have this illness it is because the environment in which they work it is not safe, and the only thing we can do about this to stop the raise of HIV/AIDS or at least make sure that the number of people with this illness decreases, is it to change the way they work. About the divorces and friendships I think it is a problem that we will have anyway, people look for sex even though it"s illegal knowing that there is a possibility to have consequences so that is their own responsibility. I agree with you when you say that it can promote teenagers to be a prostitute, but when I say that prostitution should be legal I also think about restrictions of course, because without any restrictions I would agree with you. Let"s take an example. Alcohol: it is not a good thing too, it"s dangerous for ourselves and for others but it is legal with restrictions because people cannot buy it if their age is not at least 18/21. With this example I tried to say that prostitution need restrictions too, minimum age 18/21 and this can actually decrease the amount of young teenagers underage in the middle of the streets trying to earn money for themselves or their family. About the homicide and the payment I don"t really see it as a problem if everything was under control, I actually think that this kind of things can happen more nowadays because it is not legal. And yes, if in my country prostitution was legal I would be proud of it because my country would help a lot of young girls from the streets.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

First I'd also like to thank you for the debate.
Second, You don't get HIV from an environment. "HIV is a virus that infects people by getting inside their blood cells. To avoid getting HIV, you must prevent the blood, semen, vaginal fluids, or breast milk of someone who is infected from entering your body through your mouth, vagina, anus, tip of your penis, or breaks in your skin." http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu...
Alcohol only has restrictions that high in four to five countries in the world. If you went to Germany you could buy and consume alcohol at the age of sixteen. divorces and friendships, yes they would still exist, but it would increase drastically if we legalized prostitutes. If my wife was a prostitute why would I stay with her while she's out getting screwed by different dudes everyday?
It wouldn't decrease the number of under aged teens out there in the middle of the street trying to earn money for themselves or for their families, as they'd still be doing it illegally. Even passing a law with an age limit legalizing prostitution would encourage many teenage girls that it's alright to sell their bodies and to be submissive to old men who want to do bad things with, or to, them. Prostitution would only encourage rape and sexual assault to rise, as it would encourage men, or guys I should say, to go out and find a random girl, pick her up, and say "Oh no sir officer, she's a prostitute." even when she isn't a prostitute.
Again, Thank you for putting up this debate and for putting up great argument points.