TheGodkin1
Domr

To Shave Or Not To Shave; Should Public schools be allowed to inforce a shaving policy for males?

Domr

TheGodkin1

Con

I think that having facial hair shouldn't be limited to male faculty members and shaving shouldn't be enforced. I've come to notice that this all comes down to the teachers preference. I just don't understand, its like if a teacher made you change your shirt because he/she doesn't like the color. It's an hypocrisy.
Domr

Pro

Thank you Pro for instigating this debate topic about School rights over the student body.

In this case, regarding facial hair, I believe the school has the right to state what is, and what is not, acceptable.

My opponent begins by stating it is a teacher preference to send a student out of class (or out of school) for the day due to their facial hair (or clothing) based solely on if the teacher finds it acceptable.

However, I have tracked down an example, where School Policy dictates what facial hair should be.

Rowlett High School, a public school in Rowlett, Texas has this in their Dress Code:

"Hair, including facial hair, must be clean, groomed, and by the nature of the style does not intend to create a distraction."
http://www.garlandisdschools.net...

ArchBishop Mitty High School, a private school out of San Jose, California, has a dress code with 10 rules regarding hair style. This is one excerpt about facial hair:

"Beards and tuft of beard under lower lip (“stinger”). A neatly trimmed moustache is permitted. Students who are not clean-shaven will shave and be charged a fee of $1 for use of a razor. In the rare instance where facial hair cannot be shaved for medical reasons, (dermatologist note required), the student must receive permission from the Dean’s Office."

http://www.mitty.com...

It would seem the public school is a little more lenient with facial hair, and merely want it to be distraction-free from the learning environment. While the private school, while still allowing facial hair, wants it to be neatly trimmed, or absent completely.

Therefore, I do not see any individual teacher preference, or hypocrisy, towards facial hair in the school setting. I solely see rules and codes put in place to either not making yourself a distraction, or adhere to the private schools look they want from their students.
TheGodkin1

Con

TheGodkin1 forfeited this round.
Domr

Pro

Extend Arguments
TheGodkin1

Con

TheGodkin1 forfeited this round.
Domr

Pro

Opponent Forfeit
Posted by Libertatis 2 years ago
Libertatis
I you talking about public, private, or both
Posted by Yato 2 years ago
Yato
I don't see a reason why they should even have a rule restricting students to a shaving rule. It's just body hair, the most it can do is gross someone out.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TheGodkin1DomrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
TheGodkin1DomrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Opponent forfeits. A win for pro. There was no argument plane and simple.