Iacov
missmedic

To be characterized by any LGBT traits is to have a mental disorder.

Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Iacov

Pro

I will be arguing that the statement the title says is true.
For round one please present any definitions you wish to establish I will start the debate in round two.
Mental Disorder: any of a broad range of medical conditions that are marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, or emotions to impair normal psychological functioning and cause marked distress or disability and that are typically associated with a disruption in normal thinking, feeling, mood, behavior, interpersonal interactions, or daily functioning.
missmedic

Con

Hello and thank you for this debate.
I will be arguing that the title statement is not true.
Many of us suffer from mental health issues, but we do so as individual person not as a group.
I await your argument..............
Iacov

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate, let's begin.
At our basic human nature our primary purpose as animals is to survive and insure the survival of our species. ( https://blogs.scientificamerican.com... ) If a person is a homosexual it is biologically impossible for that person to reproduce thus contradicting their basic human instincts it is because of this that I view homosexuality as a mental disorder as it is a clear "disruption in... daily functioning". Now I do not believe homosexuality is morally wrong as I myself am bisexual, however I do feel it is a disorder much like a sociopath in the sense that there is nothing inherently wrong with being a sociopath it is only wrong when that sociopath commits a murder. To be a classified with any of the LGBT characteristics is a mental disorder and that is not a bad thing.
missmedic

Con

Homosexuals can and do reproduce, the ability to reproduce in no way causes a "disruption in... daily functioning"(unless you are giving birth).
You can not equate a physical ability to a mental disorder.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com...
Iacov

Pro

Allow me to rephrase, obviously a homosexual relationship cannot result in a child being born. So I would argue that because you are willingly placing yourself in a situation where you are not likely to continue your species, which as I stated in the previous post is a basic purpose of having any form of relationship. I would argue that because someone is sexually attracted to someone else who cannot produce a child with them it is a dysfunction of the human reproductive prosess thus making it a mental disorder.
missmedic

Con

Thank you for clarifying that.
Some of the main reasons most people are in a relationship is sex and companionship, as many people simply can not, or will not want to reproduce. Many people if not most people that can reproduce and want to reproduce do so with in a short period of time (a few years) and then decide to stop. So the vast majority of us will spend the majority of our life in a relationship in which we are not reproducing.
Meltal health is not contignet on reproducing or our ability to reproduce (with the exception of infertile women). Being attracted to someone for thier reproductive abilities is rare, as most people are attracted to attractive people, this is not a metal illness, and it is quite normal. To call homosexual's mentaly ill because they can't reproduce is to call all men (with low sperm counts, who have had vasectomies, or who have another type of reproductive disorder, the same for women who are post-reproductive age, infertile due to illness, or who have undergone sterilization surgery), mental ill.
I believe that your argument is an exercise in bigotry as it has no factual basis and is promoting stigma and discrimination agianst a group that is already excluded and marginalised.
Iacov

Pro

Let me reiterate that there is nothing inherently wrong with having a mental disorder, a child with ADHD is not discriminated against neither is a sociopath (until that sociopath gives into their urges) and I believe it is much the same for the LGBT. Our brains are set in a way to be sexual attracted to someone with what it presumes will provide the right genes to created a healthy and successful child. ( http://www.prevention.com... ) It is no question that people get into a relationship for companionship above all else and I support this but the fact of the matter is that a homosexual relationship is a contradiction to our human instincts. Let me be clear I am not saying this is a bad thing and I don't support any form of legislation that would discriminate against the LGBT as I am in this community myself. But that doesn't change that the situation a LGBT person may be in goes against our instincts to preserve the species.
missmedic

Con

My opponent has failed to show any link between mental illness and reproduction among the LGBT community.
Of the over 200 classified forms of mental illness, none are associated with reproduction.
http://mental-health-matters.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.livescience.com...
Please vote con..................
Posted by GrimlyF 1 week ago
GrimlyF
TheShaun.Thankyou,you have given me the best belly laugh i've had in days."Homosexuality is caused by a deformity in the evolutionary process".You believe our low intelligence encourages homosexuality because it's evolutionary and must therefore be natural selection.Evolution encourages what is beneficial for us to survive.Since we are the most intelligent species on the planet it must follow that our wildlife is teeming with homosexuals (though i've never seen a lion doing "jazz hands")."Not ideal for reproduction".I have a very close friend who is gay.Before he was "outed"he was married to a lovely woman and fathered 5 of the most lovely girls you imagine.The man he chose to live with also had children of his own."Homosexuality is a good thing".I'm sure gays around the world will be grateful for your syncophancy.Lesbianism is,by everything I have read or seen,another "deformity"you can put down to evolution.Women are the child bearers and nurturers of our children and are the main reason that Man is a social animal.Umpteen 1,000s of years ago men were hunter-gatherers as were their mates until babies came then the woman would need to guard the children.With 3/4 kids to police the attrition on children must have been awful so at sometime our lone family must have joined with another for ctivitymutual protection.I believe at this point women developed a closeness that excluded men because it involved the nurturing of a tightly knit family which the men could not reciprocate.That sexual activity was involved is certain and why not?.What would make people closer than love-play?.Women, despite now living in cities, have never lost that closeness and act on it as befits them.Lesbianism is a survival trait and perfectly natural for women.
Posted by TheShaun 2 weeks ago
TheShaun
@missmedic and @GrimlyF, you fail to understand how evolution works. Through evolution our species was designed to require males and females to mate in order for our species to reproduce. Homosexuality is caused by a deformity in the evolutionary process. According to this process, homosexuality is not ideal for reproduction. Only due to our species' intelligence have we been able to prevent evolution from eliminating this deformity. If our species was only as intelligent as other animals, evolution would have prevented homosexuality from expanding beyond being a rare occurrence, if not eradicated it completely. This does not mean homosexuality is a bad thing. Good and bad are subjective. But it is for a fact against the natural order designed for our species' reproduction in it's creation. With that being said, homosexuality is a good thing in my opinion. We are becoming overpopulated and homosexuality helps slow down the rate at which our population is increasing. So what I am getting at is we need more lesbian porn.
Posted by Iacov 2 weeks ago
Iacov
You ask why I am specifically debating about the LGBT? Well this is quite simply because I enjoy to debate and this is a topic that would be hotly debated had I created this debate discussing the examples you provided I highly doubt it would be able to get any form of intellectual discussion.
Posted by GrimlyF 2 weeks ago
GrimlyF
I fully understand what LGBT denotes but I am at a loss to understand what traits Bisexuals and Transgender people need or would display to make them mentally unsound.What you seem to imply is that drawing attention to ones sexuality is an aberration.So is the man,the "stud",with his too tight trousers,gold medallion and shirt open to the waist,who thrusts his groin at any woman in sight mentally aberrant or just a jerk?.Is the woman,the "seductress" with her skin tight dress open to her pubis and barely covering her backside,who rubs herself suggestively against any man who buys her a drink also in need of psychoanalysis or just a slut?.You use the LGBT as your target but why?.Please explain.
Posted by Iacov 2 weeks ago
Iacov
Also gimylf the LGBT everyone else here understands that we are referring to those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender.
Posted by Iacov 2 weeks ago
Iacov
I can assure you grimlyf that I am bi don't shame people simply for having different opinions than your own.
Posted by GrimlyF 2 weeks ago
GrimlyF
Lacov.You have neglected to explain what LGBT traits are so I must second-guess you.If a man does "jazz hands" a lot,talks in a falsetto voice and leers suggestively at other men he is deranged,yes?If a woman has a "butch" haircut,no makeup and talks in a voice 3 octaves lower than normal she is also deranged,yes?.(bisexuals should be covered by the above and transgenders will be trying to live as their appropriate choice).So if "jazz hands"and" butch hair" cease to stand out and dress and act like "normals" they will be miraculously cured,yes?.You cannot sweep millions of people under a carpet or lock them away in a closet as though they don't exist.Your fear of LGBT's has lead you into bigotry and your "I'm bisexual" is an obvious lie.Shame on you.
Posted by sboss18 2 weeks ago
sboss18
"If a person is a homosexual it is biologically impossible for that person to reproduce"
I don't think you know what the words "biological" and "impossible" mean.