Kleptin
Im_always_right

To be decided during the debate

Kleptin

Pro

This is a special debate in which the one who accepts the challenge will be the one suggesting the topics of debate.

There will be 5 rounds of this debate.

1A: This introductory post

1B: My opponent will suggest 3 topic of debate, of a wide variety of categories. The three topics of debate suggested cannot all be within the same topic of discussion, (ie. All three cannot be about Religion, All three cannot be about Politics), cannot include both sides of a particular argument, and must be broad enough for a layman to be able to adequately debate with limited research (ie. No extraordinarily complicated Physical theorems).

2A: I will respond with my choice of the three, or rule that the choice of the three subjects violates rules stipulated in 1A. If I make that ruling, 3 new topics of debate will be given as a comment and I shall respond with my choice of those 3.

2B: After choosing one topic, my opponent will then pick a position, either PRO or CON.

If my opponent picks PRO, he/she shall use the rest of 2B as his opening post, and FORFEIT 5B by typing "Thank you for the debate" until the character limit is satisfied.

If my opponent picks CON, he/she shall choose a position and wait for my opening post in 3A.

The rest of the rounds will be devoted to a typical 3 round debate.
Im_always_right

Con

Gay marriage should be legal- If I can ask please leave religion out

If you are against abortion you should be against late term abortion

The rating system is out of control- such as a movie being PG13 for saying b*** and s***, and nothing else that is 'bad'.

I hope you find one interesting enough to like.
Kleptin

Pro

I find that if I have to take the CON position for any of these, I would be arguing against my own beliefs, but I'll do so anyway XD

The second one is nearly impossible to argue CON, and the first one is pretty difficult as well, so I'll go with the third one.

"The rating system is out of control- such as a movie being PG13 for saying b*** and s***, and nothing else that is 'bad'."

Please choose your position.
Im_always_right

Con

Okay the third one, I am Pro.
Kleptin

Pro

First off, I would like to thank my opponent for joining this debate and although there were some minor difficulties, I am pleased to say that we can begin.

The topic of debate is whether the Rating system for movies is under control. My opponent suggests that the rating system is out of control whereas I shall argue otherwise.

My opponent's preliminary argument, which was made in the comment section and which I have allowed to be part of this debate focused primarily on the movie "Spiderman", and what my opponent believes to be an invalid rating of PG13.

"Children in this age are growing up, and the rating system is not following. A movie directed at 7-8 year olds is Spiderman, rated PG13, I belive, here is a site about why: http://www.imdb.com...;

First of all, I must greatly disagree with my opponent's contention that the movie "Spiderman" is directed at 7-8 year olds. I find this to be a gross exaggeration and challenge my opponent to come up with some statistics to prove that point. So far, my opponent is just relying on personal belief as to what group would find the plot appealing:

"How many 13 year olds are exited about a guy who gets bit by a spider, and has to save New York? Not as many as there are 6-7 year olds."

While it is true that the plot might appeal to younger children, the movie-attending experience is catered to a much larger crowd. This includes children and young adults of all ages, and part of the appeal of "Spiderman" and other movies is that it is a movie meant for all ages. Action, suspense, plot twists, romance, these aspects of "Spiderman" are what made it so successful in the box office, not quite simply the notion of "A guy who gets bit by a spider and has to save New York".

"It makes it seem worse than it is. How many kids have not heard any of the words listed on the above site? Kids are growing up faster, they know there is violence in the world, they have heard cursing, in school, from parents, from older siblings, the movie's ratings are not going to change that."

This is absolutely not the point. Children under the age of 13 are generally not allowed to work. As such, they have no form of pay and probably get their money from their parents via allowance. Thus, the PG13 rating is very appropriate a safeguard not for ensuring the moral upbringing of children, but to appease parents who may not want their children to expose themselves to something that the parents do not approve of. It serves as a simple warning or precaution and it is solely up to the parents. Thus, my opponent's point about the movie industry trying to curb or censor children's exposure is invalid. They are merely reflecting the wishes of their parents.

"I understand that, but now PG13 means 6-7 year old movie, R means 12-14 movie, (same as M), it's not how it was when it was set up and needs to be changed."

Why my opponent would "understand" this is beyond me. There is nothing to suggest that PG13 movies are catered to 6-7 year olds and that R/M rated movies are catered to 12-14 year olds.

http://www.mpaa.org...

The Motion Picture Association of America has guidelines as to what rating they give a movie based on what is referenced. Drug use, profanity, sexual images or nudity, these are very common things that parents would want their young children to avoid.

To me, the rating system for movies is in no way "out of control". In fact, it seems to be under very good control, as the rubric/guidelines for movie rating is very structured and orderly. As can be seen from the very site my opponent wanted to use as evidence against me, the reasons given for rating it PG13 are clear cut, concise, and very plainly listed. I find that my opponent's case has not yet been made and I await my opponent's response.
Im_always_right

Con

Im_always_right forfeited this round.
Kleptin

Pro

My opponent has forfeited that last round, so all of my arguments still stand. I hope my opponent will return to make a case.
Im_always_right

Con

Im_always_right forfeited this round.
Kleptin

Pro

Since my opponent was "PRO" for this issue, she has forfeited the debate by forfeiting both of her rounds.

Thank you for the debate and thank you for VOTING KLEPTIN.
Im_always_right

Con

Im_always_right forfeited this round.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
Sorry I have been gone a while.... I need to remember these things.... But I urge people to vote for my opponent because of my annoying forfeits.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
LOL, sorry about that.

Children in this age are growing up, and the rating system is not following. A movie directed at 7-8 year olds is Spiderman, rated PG13, I belive, here is a site about why: http://www.imdb.com...

It makes it seem worse than it is. How many kids have not heard any of the words listed on the above site? How many 13 year olds are exited about a guy who gets bit by a spider, and has to save New York? Not as many as there are 6-7 year olds.

Kids are growing up faster, they know there is violence in the world, they have heard cursing, in school, from parents, from older siblings, the movie's ratings are not going to change that.

I think they should keep the rating system so they know what is in the movie, there is a difference in letting a 6 year old watch Fantastic Four and letting them watch American Pie. However having Fantastic Four American Pie. I understand that, but now PG13 means 6-7 year old movie, R means 12-14 movie, (same as M), it's not how it was when it was set up and needs to be changed.

I am sorry I did this wrong, and hope this did not create to much confusion to the voters.
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
"2B: After choosing one topic, my opponent will then pick a position, either PRO or CON.

If my opponent picks PRO, he/she shall use the rest of 2B as his opening post, and FORFEIT 5B by typing "Thank you for the debate" until the character limit is satisfied."

My opponent has chosen PRO, but has decided not to post a preliminary statement. I have messaged her about this and will accept an argument in the "Comment" section, but will give her no more than 1 day (Until Monday September 15th, Eastern Time)
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 7 years ago
Im_always_right
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 7 years ago
Tatarize
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by DiablosChaosBroker 7 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by Paramountdesktop 8 years ago
Paramountdesktop
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
KleptinIm_always_rightTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
KleptinIm_always_rightTied